Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSalviaNshrooms9090
Buddhist Monk
Male

Loc: Peru
Should i buy 10 fem seeds or 20 reg seeds???h
    #415086 - 05/10/10 10:58 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hi i am dead set on growing mi5 and onyx outdoors my thing is i dont know if i want to just get all fem seeds (which i know wont be all females anyway) or get 20 reg seeds i do plan on getting seeds from atleast 1 plant too. see im not trying to spend the extra cash for soil. because im using 3 gallon buckets and good soil so it adds up.what i was thinking of doing was either starting 10 indoors and then transplanting after sex or starting 10 reg indoors and 10 reg outdoors. well any help thank you in advance

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
Re: Should i buy 10 fem seeds or 20 reg seeds???h [Re: SalviaNshrooms9090]
    #415096 - 05/10/10 11:41 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

If your wanting to make your own seeds.....I would say get regular beans for that. :wink:

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Should i buy 10 fem seeds or 20 reg seeds???h [Re: brifunforme]
    #415110 - 05/10/10 12:06 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well it depends where ur located. Where I'm at the grow season is just around the corner (last frost is in 2 weeks or so). Assuming you are in the same position... I would say it's too late to sex and even if you get fem'd seeds there gonna take a week to get to you...then say another week to germ. You'd be pretty far behind.  (This is just Imo of course. I like big plants to start with....my clones are bout a foot tall atm)

At this point i'd reccomend getting some fem'd beans and just start them outside. I'd say that'd be ur best bet.

Unless you really do wanna breed...then yeah get a reg pack.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Buddhist Monk
Male

Re: Should i buy 10 fem seeds or 20 reg seeds???h [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #415120 - 05/10/10 12:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i have plenty of time to grow my autos in my area northeast usa most people start regular strains in may around here and harvest is in september or october and i plan on harvesting in august. i am def planning on breeding some maybe even crossing a good onyx with a good mi5 that would be new strain lol. and i want to strt them indoors that way i can give them more light its about 14 hours day light right now i could bring that up to 20 or so...

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
    #415137 - 05/10/10 12:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Whats nice about most of the autos is you can have more then one harvest in a season! :smile:

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #415144 - 05/10/10 12:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Oh no shit. I'm still not very knowledgeable with strains....didn't realize they were autos.  I was wondering why you were using 3 gal pots...makes sense now.

Guess the people in my area do things a lil different. I'm from maine and everyone I know starts everything in the early spring. So clones are real big before they go outisde. To each is own though.

You gonna do a log with the AF's?

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

OfflineTomCollins

#415146 - 05/10/10 01:02 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I would go with 20 regs. Feminized seeds are kind of cool, but unless growing conditions are optimal, there really is no guarantee you will have a female. I can tell you right now from personal experience, if you buy feminized seeds, you can indeed end up with a male.

A study was done once that demonstrated that female plants grown from feminized seeds, have a higher tendency to herm if they are stressed than female plants grown from regular seeds.
http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/node/394

Yes, you have a higher chance of getting a female, but after what I just said, do you really feel the price difference is justifiable for what feminized seeds do? :shrug:

Food for thought.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
Re: Should i buy 10 fem seeds or 20 reg seeds???h [Re: TomCollins]
    #415164 - 05/10/10 01:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
I would go with 20 regs. Feminized seeds are kind of cool, but unless growing conditions are optimal, there really is no guarantee you will have a female. I can tell you right now from personal experience, if you buy feminized seeds, you can indeed end up with a male.

A study was done once that demonstrated that female plants grown from feminized seeds, have a higher tendency to herm if they are stressed than female plants grown from regular seeds.
http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/node/394

Yes, you have a higher chance of getting a female, but after what I just said, do you really feel the price difference is justifiable for what feminized seeds do? :shrug:

Food for thought.

I think this is very dependent on the breeder. Because if a plant that turned HERMIE is used to pollinate a female, thin it is quite obvious you will prolly end up with hermies. But if a breeder takes their time and does the work you will not end up with hermies. And to accomplish that the breeder would stress out all the plants and the ones that turn hermie under stress are NOT used.

And then a chemical is introduced to cause the plant to hermie. The plants used do not turn hermie under stressed out conditions, instead they turn hermie because of chemical application. Normal "stresses" won't cause them to go hermie.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #415182 - 05/10/10 01:56 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Even doing that it doesn't mean that you absolutely will not come out with hermies.  There is no 100% guarantee of that.  Any seed can have that potential.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Buddhist Monk
Male

Re: Should i buy 10 fem seeds or 20 reg seeds???h [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #415207 - 05/10/10 02:20 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

yeah im deff gonna start a journel cuz i cant find one for outdoors on theese 2 strains...

and yeah i know from personal experience as well that not all fem seeds will give you females

but there is that silver collzz thing that magash wrote about that is way to scientific for me to understand but it gives you all females and no hemies or w/e

Buddhist Monk
Male

#415222 - 05/10/10 02:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

and the price difference there is none actually

10 reg seeds of mi5 its $50
and 5 fem mi5 seeds is also $50
same with onyx

both strains are from short stuff.

but with other strains they charge extra for fem seeds so i thought this was interesting and its why im actually debating otherwise id just go with reg.

Edited by SalviaNshrooms9090 (05/10/10 02:32 PM)

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
    #415237 - 05/10/10 02:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Who breeds these strains you are planning on growing?

Buddhist Monk
Male

#415240 - 05/10/10 02:56 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

short stuff seeds from attitude i dont know the breeder is known as stitch lol

OfflineTomCollins

#415243 - 05/10/10 02:59 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

brifunforme said:
I think this is very dependent on the breeder. Because if a plant that turned HERMIE is used to pollinate a female, thin it is quite obvious you will prolly end up with hermies. But if a breeder takes their time and does the work you will not end up with hermies. And to accomplish that the breeder would stress out all the plants and the ones that turn hermie under stress are NOT used.

And then a chemical is introduced to cause the plant to hermie. The plants used do not turn hermie under stressed out conditions, instead they turn hermie because of chemical application. Normal "stresses" won't cause them to go hermie.

Absolutely irrelevant. The fact that you can end up with a male plant from a feminized seed does not justify the prices of feminized seeds. They are a scam in my opinion.

I'm not sure I know what "normal stresses" are. Any plant can hermie if it's stressed enough.

Sure. In theory, if everything goes perfect, you have nothing to worry about in terms of hermies. This is the same for female plants grown from regular seeds. That's the point.

Once again, their prices are not justified. They are not worth buying.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
    #415279 - 05/10/10 03:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ummm, I dont know where your shopping but most female seeds are pretty close and sometimes cheaper then the regular ones.
And I dont think my comment was completely irrelevant, it was in response to you talking about hermies.

And by normal stresses I mean environmental stresses NOT chemical stress. And if the hermie trait is bred OUT of the mother plants before seeds are made the end seed is much more tolerant to environmental stresses.

You just have to stabilize the traits you want BEFORE you start making the feminized seeds. Not just pick any old plant and make it turn hermie and pollinate and say wow I just made feminized seeds! (NO, you just made hermaphrodite seeds!)

When it comes to feminized beans it is all in the breeder as to how good the seed will be.

OfflineTomCollins

#415309 - 05/10/10 03:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

brifunforme said:
Ummm, I dont know where your shopping but most female seeds are pretty close and sometimes cheaper then the regular ones.

Gimme some links.

And I dont think my comment was completely irrelevant, it was in response to you talking about hermies.

Quote:

brifunforme said:And by normal stresses I mean environmental stresses NOT chemical stress. And if the hermie trait is bred OUT of the mother plants before seeds are made the end seed is much more tolerant to environmental stresses.

You just have to stabilize the traits you want BEFORE you start making the feminized seeds. Not just pick any old plant and make it turn hermie and pollinate and say wow I just made feminized seeds! (NO, you just made hermaphrodite seeds!)

When it comes to feminized beans it is all in the breeder as to how good the seed will be.

You're making some very extreme statements there and I don't think you have anything to back that up with. Nor should you be arguing this given you're lack of growing experience.

I'm not talking about environmental stresses, I'm talking about real stressers. Heat, dehydration, deficiencies. Growing marijuana is an extremely long process and there are hundreds of things that could potentially go wrong within hours, especially if you are hydroponic.

You cannot "breed out" hermephroditism. I am familiar with the technique you are talking about, regardless it does not guarantee you 100% females with absolutely no chance of hermies. :shrug: It just doesn't work that way.

Prove me wrong.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Buddhist Monk
Male

#415336 - 05/10/10 03:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineTomCollins

#415347 - 05/10/10 04:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Those are all autoflowers.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Buddhist Monk
Male

Re: Should i buy 10 fem seeds or 20 reg seeds???h [Re: TomCollins] * 1
    #415355 - 05/10/10 04:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

yeah thats what im growing dude..... lol

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
    #415361 - 05/10/10 04:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SalviaNshrooms9090 said:
a link sure

http://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/short-stuff-seeds/cat_134.html

Quote:

Spency said:
Quote:

brifunforme said:

Gimme some links.

Quote:

brifunforme said:And by normal stresses I mean environmental stresses NOT chemical stress. And if the hermie trait is bred OUT of the mother plants before seeds are made the end seed is much more tolerant to environmental stresses.

You're making some very extreme statements there and I don't think you have anything to back that up with. Nor should you be arguing this given you're lack of growing experience.

I'm not talking about environmental stresses, I'm talking about real stressers. Heat, dehydration, deficiencies. Growing marijuana is an extremely long process and there are hundreds of things that could potentially go wrong within hours, especially if you are hydroponic.

You cannot "breed out" hermephroditism. I am familiar with the technique you are talking about, regardless it does not guarantee you 100% females with absolutely no chance of hermies. :shrug: It just doesn't work that way.

Prove me wrong.

First, I didnt say you could "breed out" "hermaphroditsm" I said breed out the TRAIT. Which simply means, to breed with plants that do not show a tendency to turn hermie over ENVIRONMENTAL factors. By Environmental I mean, the light they receive,the nutes, the temperature, etc etc....those are all environmental factors.

I also never said that you were guaranteed 100% female plants and I also never said that you would not get an occasional hermy plant. What I SAID was it depends on the breeder who creates the seed whether or not they would be shitty seeds.

And You may think I have a lack of experience in growing, that is fine with me. This is the internet and things are not always what they appear. But thats besides the point. I am allowed to express my opinion and dont have to "prove you wrong" I have no desire to. I was simply saying that to say "all feminized seeds are a rip off" Is just completely wrong.

Because you had one bad experience you say they are all a rip off. THAT in itself shows me and everyone else that you probably have too little experience to be arguing what YOU are arguing!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom