Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMof
Male

Old Fem Seed won't germinate
    #691271 - 10/31/13 04:13 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Only kind of popped out after being in water 48 hours.

It was in a wet paper towel for like almost 14 hours didn't do anything

then I threw it in some dirt

the dirt looks wet, got a light source right on it

how long should I do this for?

edit: turned the light off, it's warm enough anyway

guess this will take way longer in the soil

Edited by Mof (10/31/13 04:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Old Fem Seed won't germinate [Re: Mof]
    #691278 - 10/31/13 04:57 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Why did you turn the light off?  If it does break the soil, then you are going to need the light source. 

By pop, was it throwing out the tap root?  If it popped in the water, why did you put it in a paper towel?  Why not just into the soil? 

How old was the seed?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #691296 - 10/31/13 06:06 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Sometimes seeds will pop and shoot a little but die, it happens from time to time. If you don't see it in a day or two, maybe three, you either planted it too deep or it died of natural causes. If you dig it up and it looks the same break it with your fingers and see how it looks, I just had a bunch of white goo come out of one; sometimes they're near hollow.

I think most people soak seeds for only a few hours before putting them in a paper towel to avoid drowning them. Paper towel in a ziploc works fine and allows for some air exchange.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
Re: Old Seed won't germinate [Re: Mof]
    #691297 - 10/31/13 06:15 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

When using the pre-soak method for germinating seeds you don't want to soak the seeds for over 24 hours.  Once seeds are soaked they are ready to be placed between paper towels to be sprouted or planted in a root cube or light and fluffy soilless mix, ect where if nurtured correctly seeds will germinate between 2-7 days.  After cannabis seeds soak for more than 24 hours they easily run the risk of getting too wet, suffering oxygen deprivation and or rot.  If germinated seeds are allowed to suffer moisture stress - seedling growth will be will be stunted or stopped

What kind of light source are you using, and how far away from the soil line are the lamps hung??  What kind of "dirt" did you plant the seeds in, and how deep did you plant the seeds into the dirt??

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #691303 - 10/31/13 07:11 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds like the seed is a dud. Any beans I've had to soak more than 24hrs never worked out for me.

I've never soaked seeds and then thrown them into papertowels. I've only done one or the other and then put the beans in soil once the tap root shows. Maybe going from a complete soak to the moist/humid environment of the paper towel complicated things for ya.  :shrug:

You for sure wanna keep that light on. As hawk stated you want them to have a light source as soon as they break the soil. Even while still below the soil they need to have the light to reach for or you can risk having them germ and grow towards the bottom of the container.

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

OfflineMof
Male

Re: Old Fem Seed won't germinate [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #691304 - 10/31/13 07:23 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

dear lord, what have I done?

It's alright though the seed was sitting around for like 5 years in a plastic air tight container with cotton. Just some left overs I found while cleaning.

I thought they germinated and sprouted at night so I guess I got germinate and sprout confused, but it'll stay under a useless blacklight for now so I can sleep.

The soil was from the garden and from under a mulch pile and shook up with some potted soil shook up in a liter of orange juice then cut open. Really shitty sandy soil, not even dirt most likely, just the stuff left over from when they scraped the topsoil off but I figured their would be some nutrients under the mulch pile and the garden soil might not be completely used up.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #691315 - 11/01/13 02:26 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Well it sounds like you gave it your best... natures gotta pick up the slack somewhere.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMof
Male

Re: Old Fem Seed won't germinate [Re: phychotron]
    #691330 - 11/01/13 08:52 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Almost gave up on it but there is something green in there, which is odd because it is pretty fall/wintery looking outside.

So I'm going to leave the light on it all day. The soil still has a dark color from the water I poured on it yesterday.

Edited by Mof (11/01/13 09:11 AM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #691354 - 11/01/13 11:56 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Dont over saturate it

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMof
Male

Re: Old Fem Seed won't germinate [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #691733 - 11/04/13 10:42 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Soil really became compacted. Shitty sandy soil lol

Dug around the seed was still virtually the same

http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/factsheets/soil/compaction.html

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom