Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineand0rr

Started from seeds, having some trouble at 3wks, from my Grow Journal...
    #410800 - 05/02/10 11:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have this posted in my grow journal here: http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/406550

but I wanted to also post here to get more variety of opinions. Here is the excerpt from my journal.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help you guys. This site is the beez's knees.

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Seed
2. How old are your plants? 3 weeks, 2 days
3. How tall are your plants? 8-12"
4. What size containers are they planted in? Just transplanted from 1gal to 5gal but problems showed before transplant.
5. What is your soil mix? Roots organic
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? Tap water, every 3 days
7. What is the pH of your water? 6
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? PBP and Cal/Mag,  3-2-4 at 1 tbsp per gal
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? No
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? 400w MH
11. How close are your lights to the plants? Approx 18-20"
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 2' x 5'
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? approx. 78 degrees, 40-50rH
14. What is the pH of the soil? 8 when testing runoff
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? None
16. How much experience do you have growing? 2nd grow after 1 year absence

Quote:

May 2nd - 3 weeks 2 days

Transplanted today, but 3 days ago a few problems started to appear on 4 of the 6 plants when the soil got a little on the dry side when I was out of the house for 2 days. I've been watering with pH balanced water, but tested the runoff for the first time when I started noticing problems and it is showing a pH of 8+. Even with watering 5 pH the runoff is still easily 8 or above (the soil wasn't very saturated when doing the 5pH runoff test). I never saw problems like this using the same exact routine on clones. (maybe it was that short stint of dryness?)

On with the pics...

First, here is a pic of the group. The Purple Indica is on the top left.

Here is a pic of whatever problem the P.I. is having, has necrotic spots on a few of the lower fan leafs.

Now here is some pics of the problems that 3 out of the 5 g-13xNL are having.

These pictures are pretty consistent showing about the same problem throughout the 3 plants. But, one of the three also has one fan leaf looking like this:

From doing some reading on this forum, I'd say it almost looks like an MG def. but I can't be totally sure because the spotting and browning looks pretty inconsistent with the pics of MG def. I've seen around.

Question is, is this a pH problem, or is it a nutrient def. problem? I'll let you experts help me out before my assumptions kill my seed babies!

:frown:

Edited by and0rr (05/03/10 03:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineand0rr

Re: Seedlings having some trouble, from my Grow Journal... [Re: and0rr]
    #410849 - 05/03/10 02:36 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

PS: the pH of the runoff was directly after transplanting, I unfortunately didn't test the pH before the transplant when I began to notice problems in the 1gal pots. So the pH of the soil could have been lower before the transplant since it had been watered with balanced pH for a few weeks, I'm not sure. They were doing great until exactly day 21 when the soil got a little too dry.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#411057 - 05/03/10 03:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Ph of 8 is a little high, you'd be better off to get it around 6.8-7, odd how the runoff isn't changing, have you flushed this plant(s)?. 18" seems like it may be a bit close to the light for plants a few weeks old. Do you have a way to measure ppm?

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Edited by DieselB (05/03/10 03:23 PM)

Offlineand0rr

Re: Seedlings having some trouble, from my Grow Journal... [Re: DieselB]
    #411084 - 05/03/10 04:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ph of 8 is a little high, you'd be better off to get it around 6.8-7, odd how the runoff isn't changing, have you flushed this plant(s)?

I've been flushing them somewhat since I started to notice the problems trying to bring the ph down. I'm wondering if I should do a real heavy flush to get it down?

Quote:

18" seems like it may be a bit close to the light for plants a few weeks old

I'm careful to keep the temps in a safe range above the plants. Whenever I measure the temp around and above the plants it bounces from 74 to 78. I also have a constantly running ventilation fan at the top of the room blowing out and another to pull in fresh air.  Should I move the light up just to be safe?

Quote:

Do you have a way to measure ppm?

I don't. Would it be a good idea for me to go pick something up? Right now I'm just testing pH.

Thanks for the response!

Edited by and0rr (05/03/10 04:17 PM)

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#411102 - 05/03/10 05:21 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

First, yes, a heavy flush. I think the recommendation is 3x the water your container holds empty.

Second, its not just the temps you're worried about. Too much light intensity on younger plants can be harmful even with perfect temps.

I would absolutely advise you to get TDS meter so you can know what kind of strength you're working with. I've found that what it says on the side of the bottle can be quite a bit off. You can do fine without meters, but I feel like the more exact you can get things, the easier you can dial in your grow and be consistent.

--------------------

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: Seedlings having some trouble, from my Grow Journal... [Re: DieselB]
    #411315 - 05/03/10 09:48 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Looks like ph problems to me maybe she's struggling to take up sone nutes, I also think they could take a bit more food

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seedlings having some trouble, from my Grow Journal... [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #411338 - 05/03/10 10:05 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Don't give any more food until you get your pH concerns under control.  If your soil isn't in the proper pH range it's not going to be able to feed on the nutrients that are there, but just unavailable.

Get you pH run off down to about 6-7 range by flushing with water that's a pH of about 5.  Once you have accomplished this, give one more gallon of water with the nutrient strength that you were using before.  If they start to show signs of deficiency, then you start upping the nutrient level in your feedings.

Keep in mind that if the water that your putting in is at a pH of 6, and it's coming out at 8+, then your more than likely WAY higher than 8.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlineand0rr

Re: Seedlings having some trouble, from my Grow Journal... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #411378 - 05/03/10 11:05 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks a lot for the comments guys.

So going off of everybody's recommendation, seeing as these are 5 gal pots I should be flushing with 15 gals per pot adjusted to approx. 5 pH? It's going to be extremely time consuming to pH balance and flush with that much water (90 gallons or so), but whatever is necessary! I'm going to start tomorrow morning and hopefully this takes care of my problems.

I'll also be picking up a TDS meter to make sure my PPM isn't in a volatile range, and if necessary; a RO system too if it turns out my tap measures on the hard side. I wouldn't want to waste the time or money buying RO water, I'd rather have the benefit of producing my own. It'd save in the long run.

That all sound good?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #412634 - 05/05/10 05:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, I was going to suggest testing the PPM of your tap water.  However, if you already have the funds to buy an RO system I'd recommend it.  If you don't want to spend the cash, just test it first and see if you need one (or buy nutes tailored for hard water).

Is the pH 6 right out of the tap?

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineand0rr

Re: Seedlings having some trouble, from my Grow Journal... [Re: coda]
    #412657 - 05/05/10 06:50 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

the pH is exactly 8 out of the tap. So seeing as that's pretty high I should have some cause for concern on the ppm?

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#412695 - 05/05/10 08:16 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Not really, the ppm isn't going to be directly related to ph. Its a great idea to have a baseline on both figures though. If nothing else, bring a cup of water to the local hydro/garden shop and more than likely they'll test it for you.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck