Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethe spiral
n00b
 User Gallery

Setup for 1st grow
    #400017 - 04/12/10 07:41 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

A friend of a friend has a room available to him, with dimensions (guesstimating here) of maybe 12' by 12' by 12'.  He is planning on using this as his grow room, quickly deciding against those overpriced "grow closets."  He plans on covering the windows, walls, and probably the ceiling too with either reflective mylar or aluminum (suggestions?) and purchasing 1 (to start for the mother plant) 600 watt dual ballast (supporting MH and HPS).  For veg he'll use the MH bulb of course.  He's going to go to home depot to buy some supplies to hang the ballast & bulb from the ceiling himself.  He'll apparantly have to buy a "hood" of sorts for the ballast & bulb becausethis ballast does not appear to come with one.  Suggestions there?

For 'ventilation' he plans on just putting a stand up fan or two in the room.  He also will make use of probably an ozone producing odor eliminator, or something better if someone suggests something else here.

He also plans on using either the screen of green technique or regular LST. Any suggestions either way on which to use for a 1st time grower?

After considering long and hard if going with hydroponics was a bad idea on a first grow, he has decided that passive hydro is going to be the way to go.  He plans to transfer his plants to plastic pots filled with perlite and a drainage hole drilled ~ 1 inch from the bottom of the pot.  This way, the bottom 1 inch of perlite is saturated with nutrient solution and wicks it up to the roots, and the rest of the root system gets plenty of oxygen.  He plans on changing the water weekly. 

Any suggestions about possible changes or anything to make this setup sound more reasonable and easy for the first time grower - please post it!  Thanks!

--------------------
This post is a work of fiction in its entirety.  Any references to real people, products, or practices is entirely coincidental, and any other information in this post is hypothetical and fictional; this discussion has no bearing or relationship whatsoever to anything in the real world.

Edited by the spiral (04/13/10 03:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Setup for 1st grow [Re: the spiral]
    #400022 - 04/12/10 08:01 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Ohhh boyy...... Well it sounds like you've done a little research, but you have a LONG way to go my friend. Try searching around on here a bit more because all of the questions you asked have been answered countless times already.

First, yes you'll need a reflector for that ballast. You need to verify if the plug it comes with is for sunlight supply hoods or hydrofarm hoods. Once you have that narrowed down basically any reflector will work fine. Are you planning on using a sealed hood and aircooling it or just an open reflector and venting the entire room?

Stay the fuck away from aluminium for lining your room. waayyy too pricey, and shitty as well. Look into black/white poly (known as panda film) or, the best option is honestly just flat white paint. Sounds kinda lame, but seriously, it works just as well at about 5% the price.

for 'ventilation' he can't just put a fan or two in there. that's air circulation, not ventilation. He needs to have old air actually removed entirely from the room and fresh air drawn in. Plants breath just like we do, imagine being in a room with no fresh air.... after you breathed all the goodies out of the air you'll suffocate and die.  You can avoid bringing in fresh air, but then that really complicates things because you'll need supplemental CO2, Air conditioning, and a dehumidifier.

Well that's enough for now, go do some research, ask some more questions and we'll try to get you set up right

--------------------

Offlinethe spiral
n00b
 User Gallery

Re: Setup for 1st grow [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #400026 - 04/12/10 08:25 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yes I've been doing more reading - I know my questions are answered in various posts but its hard to find all the right stuff in one place!

Painting the room is, maybe, a possibility.  I will certainly look into it.

About getting fresh air into the room - how would you suggest my 'friend' go about doing that?  Oh, and if he uses the screen of green, will he not need fans to blow on the plants to strengthen the stems?  Or, would it be a bad idea to go fan-less?

--------------------
This post is a work of fiction in its entirety.  Any references to real people, products, or practices is entirely coincidental, and any other information in this post is hypothetical and fictional; this discussion has no bearing or relationship whatsoever to anything in the real world.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #400027 - 04/12/10 08:35 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Painting the room is your best bet, like Harry said.

Bad idea to go fan-less. You always need a fan on them, preferably oscillating. It circulates the air around the plants and allows them to breathe. Fans do much more than just strengthen stems!

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Offlinethe spiral
n00b
 User Gallery

Re: Setup for 1st grow [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #400077 - 04/12/10 12:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have three seedlings that I germinated kind of a while ago - they're something like 2 inches tall now, but very wiry because they've been under totally inadequate light.  I don't want to spend the money on a HID until I'm certain I'm going to be able to use it - which should be soon, but still it's a bit of a problem. 

Anyone have a suggestion as to how I can keep my 3 seedlings alive?  Also, these are NOT feminized seeds - the purpose of germinating these seeds was to get a mother plant and make a bunch of clones from it.  If that affects anyone's advice, please let me know - I've never sexed a plant.

Also, is using something like miracle-gro potting soil and a pot the best way to go for a complete n00b like me?

--------------------

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#400078 - 04/12/10 12:51 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Honestly, the best thing to do when you don't know what you're doing is to not start seeds until you have a handle on things.. Otherwise you end up killing plants fast and getting discouraged.

General consensus is that Miracle-Grow products are pretty crappy for growing weed, some people have great results with them. I myself did a soil grow in MG potting soil and everything turned out fine, others have had terrible experiences with this stuff.

Start researching cultivation of cannabis, the internet is an unlimited resource of knowledge.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #400080 - 04/12/10 12:57 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If you're determined to do soil then I would suggest investing in some very nice organic soil. Miracle grow is just weird in my opinion, I've seen good results with it but in general it ends up disappointing. Fox farm makes very good stuff that can be found at just about any local garden center, check them out

--------------------

Offlinethe spiral
n00b
 User Gallery

#400093 - 04/12/10 01:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I was considering going with passive hydro - something like 4 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite, in a pot with a mesh bottom, itself in a larger bucket with nutrient solution in it.

I worry though that I'd mess something up.  Will I be a happier person going with that kind of setup?

And what's the fast, messy way of sexing a plant?  I need one of these to be my mother plant after all...

I have improved the lighting for the seedlings (about 3" actually) by adding a second lamp (but it's still just a desk lamp with a CFL supplementing a maybe 2 foot long fluorescent).  Should I say screw it and buy a proper light now?  I suppose if all I invested in was the light I wouldn't be spending an exorbitant amount of money...

--------------------

Edited by the spiral (04/12/10 01:25 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #400097 - 04/12/10 01:23 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

that's exactly how I grow. Click the links in my sig and see what you think

personally, I think it's easy as fuck and practically fool proof if you use the right nutrients and good water.

--------------------

Offlinethe spiral
n00b
 User Gallery

#400100 - 04/12/10 01:26 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Very helpful stuff harry, thanks again.  stars for you :wink:

--------------------

Offlinethe spiral
n00b
 User Gallery

#400101 - 04/12/10 01:27 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

When I have 50 posts haha.

--------------------

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#400106 - 04/12/10 01:36 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'll go ahead and give the rating for you, I owe it to him anyway  :smile:

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Setup for 1st grow [Re: DieselB]
    #400138 - 04/12/10 02:13 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

haha thanks guys! :grin:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals