Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJameson
Stranger
 User Gallery
What's wrong with my plant?
    #396682 - 04/05/10 08:07 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

This is my plant. I can't figure out what is wrong with it, first I thought it was because caterpillars had gotten to it, so I put garlic around it and killed any bugs I found, yet it continued to get worse. I'm pretty sure it's not heat damage or too little/too much water.

It started with just brownish tips, than it slowly began to spread, growth slowed down, and all knew leaves where very droopy.

I've been using Dynamite advanced time release fertilizer for flowers and vegitables.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with it?
Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What's wrong with my plant? [Re: Jameson]
    #396683 - 04/05/10 08:10 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

way way waaaayyy too much food. a plant that size barely needs any food at all and it sounds like you're feeding the hell out of it.

Also, what's your pH?

--------------------

OfflineJameson
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: What's wrong with my plant? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #396688 - 04/05/10 08:18 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Should I poor a bunch of water into it and flush it out, or should I just put it in some new soil?

I don't know what the ph level is, I don't have a kit.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #396689 - 04/05/10 08:19 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

well there's your first problem. pH testing is by far the most important aspect of cannabis cultivation.

second, I doubt flushing will really help because you're using time release fertilizers. Putting it into new soil is probably your best bet but even that's a pretty tricky business

--------------------

OfflineJameson
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #396693 - 04/05/10 08:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well I didn't really bother getting one due to the fact I'm not focused on the quality, I just want to be able to get a plant to actually grow and bud, I've only been able to accoplish this once so far.

Do you have any tips or suggestions for moving the plant?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #396704 - 04/05/10 08:33 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

it has nothing to do with quality to be honest, incorrect pH can be fatal to the plant LONG before you're ready to flower.

As for transplanting, just turn the plant over and gently wash the dirt from the roots before placing it in your new medium

--------------------

OfflineJameson
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #396710 - 04/05/10 08:37 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

So would it be better if I use filtered water or just tap water?

Should I wash it with water or just my hands?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #396716 - 04/05/10 08:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

how do you wash something without water?

and yes, tapwater will be fine

--------------------

OfflineJameson
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #396720 - 04/05/10 08:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Good point.

Ok, thanks for all the info.

I'll post the results within the next few days.

OfflineTomCollins

#396857 - 04/06/10 04:47 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Jameson said:
Well I didn't really bother getting one due to the fact I'm not focused on the quality, I just want to be able to get a plant to actually grow and bud, I've only been able to accoplish this once so far.

Hi,

I don't want to sound rude but what you don't understand is, as harry said, how important monitoring PH is. If your water is off, you will not get anything from your plant. Guaranteed.

This chart may explain why:

As you can see the water and medium need to be at certain ph ranges for the plant to be able to absorb nutrients. Don't try and half ass growing pot, it hardly ever works - just do things correctly.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What's wrong with my plant? [Re: TomCollins]
    #396907 - 04/06/10 08:44 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I would have to disagree with the importance of PH when it comes to growing in soil. Many other people believe this also so I know I'm not alone.

Soil acts as a natural buffer for anything you put into it. I've been at it for a year now and have NEVER taken a PH reading and it hasn't been a problem.

Keep in mind though that if you grow hydro OR use a soilless mix (Pro-Mix) then the importance of PH comes back into play. If you use Pro-Mix and ignore PH it will be a problem. I myself use a 50/50 mix of Pro-Mix BX and regular soil and I never think about PH. Maybe it's just me but it works.

For Harry PH is one his most important factors because he's using hempy buckets which is the same thing as hydro pretty much. It's not even worth trying hydro without a good PH tester or or papers.

The problem here is simply overfeeding. The plant only looks to be about 2 weeks old. I'd say start over and DO NOT feed until week 2 or 3.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineTomCollins

Re: What's wrong with my plant? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #396955 - 04/06/10 09:51 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
I would have to disagree with the importance of PH when it comes to growing in soil. Many other people believe this also so I know I'm not alone.

Oh crap. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I'm not one to speak on growing cannabis in soil tbh. As a hydro grower, maintaining PH is one of my highest priorities. From the way you describe it, it doesn't seem important in soil at all. :shrug: I had no idea to be honest.

Live and learn, sorry for the mis-info. Perhaps I should exert more restraint when posting in the cult forums.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What's wrong with my plant? [Re: TomCollins]
    #396997 - 04/06/10 10:53 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I wouldn't call it mis-info. If you are growing in soil and adjusting the PH then I would think you'd be that much better off. I just don't feel that it's required or necessary when using soil.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #397385 - 04/06/10 11:12 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'm going to have to disagree with this one, while it may not be as important as hydro or soil-less.  It does play a part.  And if the pH of your soil is off you can definitely have problems regulating your nutrients. 

While this guys problem may not lie in his pH, it would be foolish to say that in soil it shouldn't be taken into account at all.

Yes you have a wider range since the root system is being buffered by the soil, that doesn't mean that it can't come into play.  Sure you can get away with not checking the pH of your water and it not be a problem.

But if you keep all your growing parameters in the optimum range you WILL get better results. 

I could just throw some seeds out in the back yard and water them once a week and never have any problems.  But if I take the time to cultivate the ground and put in additives like guano and castings or compost you get better results.  Same with maintaining proper pH.  Your plants will appreciate you for it.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What's wrong with my plant? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #397481 - 04/07/10 06:45 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I didn't mean to come off like PH doesn't matter in soil. I'm just saying that don't need to be as anal about it as you do with hydro.

If you keep watering with a VERY high or low PH water then this will change the PH of your soil over time and cause nutrient lockout. What I am saying, is that most water (town or well) is within the range where the soil will naturally buffer it. It's just not necessary unless your water is very bad.

If you PH your water from the beginning you WILL (most likely) get better results and an increased yield. If you don't PH your water in soil it won't kill your plants (unless your water is awful).

Note: If your water is bad enough that you have to PH it before watering then you shouldn't be drinking it. Get an RO filter.

--------------------

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#399176 - 04/10/10 05:00 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

My understanding was that only true organics in soil has self-regulating PH, and that if you're using chelated chemical nutes your water PH basically is your soil PH other than with help from lime or other soil additives.

I could be wrong though and would love to hear more about it...

I would also have to say PH is important though, period, and we do what we can to control it.

OfflineJameson
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #400116 - 04/12/10 01:50 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, so it's been a few days since I switched the soil out and these are the results are the newer leaves on top have started growing again, the middle ones that where limp in my last pictures are still limp and their tips are slowly browning and yellowing, and the bottom leaves are completely shriveling up.

Should I just cut off the bottom leaves and hope the middle ones make it? Or should I just cut them all off?

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #403280 - 04/17/10 06:58 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Neither, just let the leaves fall off on their own.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder