Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Isolation Tank Experience Numero Uno * 2
    #395332 - 04/03/10 03:35 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

AKA, sensory deprivation chamber, flotation tank, rest tank, john lilly tank.

So a couple weeks ago I was looking through our alternative news paper at the classifieds and to my asstonishment I found a doctor that is giving out recommendations for cannabis.  THEN i saw the words isolation tank in the health and beauty section of the classifieds.  I had been looking for a flotation tank for the last 5 years or so.  They are, not surprisingly, hard to come by.  I called them up and set up an appointment for earlier today.  I knew I had to prepare myself somehow.  What better way than to smoke a joint of some homegrown?  I rolled one up and saved it for the drive over there.  I also had been drinking a lot of water.  I showered before leaving as well.  Plus listened to some feel good music like Creams, "I feel Glad," to help get me in the right frame of mind. 

I was feeling really good on the way over there.  I lit up the joint and started puffin away as the journy began.  It was a 20 minute trip but i did't get to smoke the entire thing.  I was high enough.  I parked outside what looked like a small one story house.  I walked inside and the first room was large and spacious with very light purple and blue decor throughout.  There was a small table with all the companies services and information, lots of candles all around.  They filled the room with an amazing fragrance of jasmines and lilacs.  The woman working there was just gorgeous.  I'm sure it was obvious that I had just smoked a joint, despite my best efforts to prevent that.  She had me complete a form that released them from liability and was an agreement that i dont have contagious diseases and wont sue them, etc.  They also had a form with some interesting information about the tank.  I completed and read the form and then she led me back to the tank.  The room with the tank looked like a small bedroom.  It was also decorated with candles all about and nicely hung up sheets that somehow added a bit of comfort as I wasn't entire sure what to expect.  The room was also pretty warm, much much warmer than the rest of the place. 

I snapped this photo with my phone.  As you can see it was like entering the void.  Pretty neat.

The tank itself was the exact same kind that rogan gave away a couple years ago, which i was disappointed not to have won it.  I gathered the pictures below from the internet which are accurate representations.  She gave me some general instructions and left.  I got naked and put the ear plugs in and stepped right in.  The water was really warm, it felt great.  I had anticipated the water to be a sludge of sorts.  The put 800 pounds of salt into 11 or 12 inches of water.  But the water was completely clear, just as regular water.  So I turned around and faced the door and closed it shut.  It was automatically completely dark and completely quiet besides the water that i was moving around.  I sat then laid back in the water and felt the boyancy of my body in the solution.  It was an interesting feeling to say the least.  The air in there was as warm as the water was.  I believe the temps were close to either body temp or the temp of the surface of our skin.  I didn't ask.  The air in there was thick and humid and it made breathing just a bit more difficult but certainly tolerable still.

One piece of advice she gave me that i thought was interesting was to question whether or not you are really relaxed.  So that kind of became my focus for this session.  I laid back and it was such an odd experience i just couldn't get comfortable for the first few minutes.  After I steadied myself and the water I became one with everything.  It was a very odd boundary dissolving feeling.  There was no water, I couldn't tell where the water was at on my body.  I had no idea if my stomach, penis, hands, etc were in or out of the water.  I tried to remain still throughout the hour long session.  The first fifteen minutes were basically me trying to get comfortable in different positions while I thought about my life.  It was a lot of reflection mostly.  I remember a very vivid image of me as a child sitting around this little patch of green grass with tall trees around in a circle and I was just sitting at the base of the tree like alice in the beginning of her story.  It was a very peaceful image.  I had no stress.  The hour was up pretty quickly it seemed.  I had no way of keeping track of the time or anything in there, so that also added to the experience.  She knocked on the door to let me know the hour was up.  I sat up (there's plenty of room in there) and opened the door.  The cold air from the outside hit me hard as I climbed out.  There was a robe hanging in the corner and a towel too so i wiped off my facing, making certain not to get any of that salt water in my eyes.  I put on the robe and went in the other room where there was a shower.  I felt my hair just before getting into the shower, it was soooo nastily filled with salt.  I washed myself real good.  there was also salt all over me.  After I got out we talked about my experience.  I was feeling really good.  my mind was clear, my body felt light, and I didn't feel stoned any more.  I thought that was odd.  I am not sure what role my intoxication played in this whole experience.  I booked another session for a couple weeks from now.  This time I will do it for two hours.  At no point did i feel claustrophobic or anything.  The owner really went out of her way to make me feel comfortable.  The cost of the one hour session was only $25 plus a $7 tip.  This was a special they were having.  She also let me keep that special price for the next two hour session.  She said they would let me do it however long i wanted to.  But the normal rate is $50 per hour.  I want to try it on a medium sized dose of mushrooms next time.  We'll see.  I'll add a poll for shits. 

Here's a list of places around the USA that offer flotation services.

FYI, I will be moving this to the dome later.
Have you ever had a flotation/sensory deprivation experience?
You may choose only one
Would you, if it was an option?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (04/03/10 03:35 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll | Filter by response

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Isolation Tank Experience Numero Uno [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #395333 - 04/03/10 03:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting read FB. I can see how the buoyancy would be a strange sensation. I'd definitely do this if I had the chance.

OfflineDoitagain
Smoothie therapist
Male User Gallery

Loc: i am everywhere and nowhe...
Re: Isolation Tank Experience Numero Uno [Re: DungenessDank]
    #395340 - 04/03/10 03:49 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

haha reminds me of floating on the dead sea.

--------------------
ltd said:
fgts just don't understand

keep the shit

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #395341 - 04/03/10 03:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I haven't. I've read a little about them, and it seems like an interesting experience at the very least.

I might do it if I had the chance...but I don't think there are any near me. And, I don't know if I could be comfortable doing it in a place that wasn't my own. Maybe if I had my own in my basement I would prolly love it. But I'm weird about shit like that. :shrug:

Also, I'm very claustrophobic. I didn't know I was until I had an MRI, but I get it really bad now. You said it wasn't an issue, but are you claustrophobic in other situations?

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlineelcharrosays
Male User Gallery

#395344 - 04/03/10 04:00 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I am so envious. I've been wanting to give one of these a go ever since I first heard about them like 6 years ago.

Somewhat relative to the topic.. have you ever seen Altered States? It's a fictional movie about a scientist taking ayahuasca in an isolation chamber.

Total Isolation a documentary on the weird shit that happens when the mind is deprived of sensory information.
^very much worth a watch

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Isolation Tank Experience Numero Uno [Re: RasJeph]
    #395347 - 04/03/10 04:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, i've seen altered states before.  I will give that documentary a look.  I am interested in reading some of john lilly's books now. 

Quote:

RasJeph said:
are you claustrophobic in other situations?

no, i knew that claustrophobia wasn't goign to be an issue going in.  I've lied in a casket before with it shut without issues.  I was thinking about the dead sea while i was in there too.  I sent an email to the manufacturer to see how much a new float tank would cost.  I'm going to guess over $5,000.  but we'll see.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offlineelcharrosays
Male User Gallery

#395353 - 04/03/10 04:17 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've heard you can build them yourself with a bit of effort. I've also seen a dude build his own pressurization tank to train for high-altitude climbs.

--------------------

Offlineelcharrosays
Male User Gallery

Re: Isolation Tank Experience Numero Uno [Re: elcharrosays]
    #395356 - 04/03/10 04:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I mean I think if you can just build a sound-proof, water-tight chamber that should be about all you need. Sound-proof should be light-proof and water-tight should be able to hold salt for buoyancy.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#395367 - 04/03/10 04:33 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, i could do that.  but I really don't have that kind of confidence in my diy skills.  buying one is an idea for future FB.  not current, broke fb.  :frown:

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineShroomieGirl
Fear and Loathing
 User Gallery

Loc: TX
    #395413 - 04/03/10 06:01 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

that sounds really cool.... ive heard of them before, but didnt know you could pay for time in one.  if i had the chance id definitely try it out.

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#395429 - 04/03/10 06:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
no, i knew that claustrophobia wasn't goign to be an issue going in.

Yeah, I'd be terrified. I wish I knew someone who tried it out that is as claustrophobic as I am.

I can't even ride in the car without putting the window down a few times each ride.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Isolation Tank Experience Numero Uno [Re: RasJeph]
    #395433 - 04/03/10 06:34 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

take some mushrooms or lsd and confront those issues in the tank.  :vaped:

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#395434 - 04/03/10 06:35 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

"LET ME OUT OF THIS TANK MAN!"

OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

#395438 - 04/03/10 06:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Very cool man.

Shrooms in there would definitely be a heavy experience, I don't know if I'd have the sac to go in there shroomin. If I had one at home I'd totally do it. Functioning normally in public on mushrooms is only an option for me at music fests / concerts or in nature.

--------------------
"Don't do drugs because if you do drugs you'll go to prison, and drugs are really expensive in prison." - John Hardwick

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: Isolation Tank Experience Numero Uno [Re: Fick]
    #395442 - 04/03/10 06:48 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

The heavily dilated pupils and creepily large grin gives me away every time.  :awecid2:

Invisibleandyistic
We got them veenoms!

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Lot
    #395448 - 04/03/10 06:55 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
I lit up the joint and started puffin away as the journy began.  It was a 20 minute trip but i did't get to smoke the entire thing.  I was high enough.

Why did you get high at all? Let alone drive while getting high? :nonono:

Quote:

FurrowedBrow continues:
The cost of the one hour session was only $25 plus a $7 tip.  This was a special they were having.

Tip? What the fuck for?
I thought you went there to buy the damn thing. Oh my!

--------------------
Bastard greedy for salvia, want me to cheat, take advantage of a friend shroomerite G!

Tangerines said: "Real men quit cold turkey - alone in their rooms with no drugs."

OK so ... where is everyone? This place is so dead lately!

OfflineDionili
Stranger
    #395453 - 04/03/10 06:59 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

elcharrosays said:
I am so envious. I've been wanting to give one of these a go ever since I first heard about them like 6 years ago.

Somewhat relative to the topic.. have you ever seen Altered States? It's a fictional movie about a scientist taking ayahuasca in an isolation chamber.

Total Isolation a documentary on the weird shit that happens when the mind is deprived of sensory information.
^very much worth a watch

altered states started out cool but had a fucked up ending.

its on netflix instant

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Isolation Tank Experience Numero Uno [Re: andyistic]
    #395475 - 04/03/10 07:55 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

andyistic said:
Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
I lit up the joint and started puffin away as the journy began.  It was a 20 minute trip but i did't get to smoke the entire thing.  I was high enough.

Why did you get high at all? Let alone drive while getting high? :nonono:

Are you fucking kidding me?! 

As for the tip, well, im not a stingy asshole and I give my money when the service demands it.  As I said i had already gotten a good deal.  seems like a dumb thing to justify, ya know.  it's a new business that I want to succeed.

I will also add that next time I will definitely have one of those swimmers caps on so my hair doesn't get that nasty again.  I've taken three showers today. 

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#395482 - 04/03/10 08:02 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
As for the tip, well, im not a stingy asshole and I give my money when the service demands it.  As I said i had already gotten a good deal.  seems like a dumb thing to justify, ya know.  it's a new business that I want to succeed.

and she had great tits

--------------------

OfflineSteve Buscemi

#395548 - 04/03/10 09:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

/

Edited by Steve Buscemi (08/20/12 08:54 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag