Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Can a HPS overheat?
    #389324 - 03/24/10 02:04 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I finally got some chains and lowered my HPS down to the tops of my CFL's.

I'm wondering if its too close now. The temperature in the cabinet is under control...but I'm wondering if the HPS itself can get too hot and fuck up. Its only a few inches off the top of my CFL's, so I'm a little worried.

Can't hurt to ask, right?

Thanks. Sorry to be such a noob, but I figure I'll ask before I royally fuck up.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Can a HPS overheat? [Re: RasJeph]
    #389326 - 03/24/10 02:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If your room temp is good, it should be fine. If you're really worried you could aim a small fan at it so it got a little airflow. Keep in mind, people with climate controlled grow rooms run their 1000 watters without a cooled hood.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Can a HPS overheat? [Re: DieselB]
    #389388 - 03/24/10 04:37 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DieselB said:
If your room temp is good, it should be fine. If you're really worried you could aim a small fan at it so it got a little airflow. Keep in mind, people with climate controlled grow rooms run their 1000 watters without a cooled hood.

Uuummmm.... that maybe true but I really question the practicalness behind cooling a 1000Watt HPS with ambient temperature - however my point here is, I think you may be giving Ras the wrong idea here.

Even low watt HPSs get extremely hot, and are perfectly capable of overheating and/or starting fires. In addition to this, if you allow your HPS bulb to reach very high temperatures, you significantly reduce the life span of your bulb.

If you have an HPS light, it should be have cooling for it.

Also, in my opinion you cannot simply go by ambient room temperature alone. You have to take readings at the tops of your plants. This is really important too because high heat can cause really heavy stress and can promote males or hermaphroditism. If the temperature at the top of your plants stays at 28C or under, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Can a HPS overheat? [Re: TomCollins]
    #389464 - 03/24/10 06:19 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I said climate controlled grow room, as in dedicated. Having AC to the point of the room being nearly chilly, then under the lamps, being nice and close, the plants temp is near perfect.

I completely understand what you mean, totally could have been misconstrude.. I don't really feel like a 150 gets EXTREMELY hot though, if its any kind of quality and does'nt have a fan built in, and/or huge sticker on the side about cooling, it's designed to be able to run with out it.

Edit: I will agree that cooling the light would be more efficent for what he's using it for. Allows the light to be closer, and the plants definitely don't suffer from that. I run an air cooled reflector myself.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Edited by DieselB (03/24/10 06:21 PM)

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Can a HPS overheat? [Re: DieselB]
    #389539 - 03/24/10 07:30 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I don't really have the money to be investing in anything else. I'd love nothing more than to have a huge professional hydroponic grow op, but I just can't haha.

Thats about 150w of CFLs and 150w of HPS. I have the thermometer right next to the cups where the plants are.

I think the current height is OK. I don't run it for hours and hours at a time anyway...I leave the CFL's 24/7, and I do the HPS while I'm home, simply because leaving it running would scare me.

Starting to get real smelly in here today :lol: good thing our neighborhood has been having a lot of skunk problems...I have a few people in and out of my house during parties (nobody comes up here anyway.)

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom