Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

Jiffy peat pellet transplant ??
    #382140 - 03/11/10 07:09 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Noob here.

So I've searched for a while and looked through my books but cant find a definite answer.

My question is when to transfer to a one gallon pot from germination? 

Here,s the deal.

My friend has some seedlings started in jiffy peat pellets in silo cups with perlite around them. Plans on transplanting to a soil/compost/perlite mix. Seedlings are 8 and 9 days since sprouting.  He fucked up and could only find MG perlite and has since procured 3CF of horticultural grade.  Seedlings are under CFLs currently.

Should they have been transplanted already? Hes waiting till payday for some blood meal and bone meal to add to the mix, but will do without and transplant now if hes hurting his plants.

--------------------
"Don't do drugs because if you do drugs you'll go to prison, and drugs are really expensive in prison." - John Hardwick

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

Re: Jiffy peat pellet transplant ?? [Re: Fick]
    #382248 - 03/11/10 08:30 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Here's a pic if it helps.

Also they are at 7 and 8 days, not 8 and 9.

The two on the right are Afghan and the other four are white widow max, (all from marijuana-seeds.NL), with more on the way...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--------------------
"Don't do drugs because if you do drugs you'll go to prison, and drugs are really expensive in prison." - John Hardwick

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #382341 - 03/11/10 11:54 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

You could wait a few more days and it would be fine.  In fact I would let them grow a few more days to throw out more roots, then transplant.  At least another 5 days in my personal opinion.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

Re: Jiffy peat pellet transplant ?? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #382748 - 03/12/10 07:57 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Awesome. Thank you.

--------------------

OfflineGrow
Stranger

#382927 - 03/13/10 10:20 AM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Yeah I usually transplant those jiffy pods when you see a good amount of roots sticking through. Becareful though when transplanting if the roots are pretty long, not to damge the roots. Those are looking good wish I had lower climbing plants.

--------------------
All information in my posts is for medical purposes only.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Jiffy peat pellet transplant ?? [Re: Grow]
    #382944 - 03/13/10 11:19 AM (14 years, 18 days ago)

You could always just let it fill the solo cup with roots and then transplant. That's what I do, I grow for about 2-3 weeks in solo cups so that it's nice and packed with roots and then transplant to the final container

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Jiffy peat pellet transplant ?? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #383029 - 03/13/10 02:26 PM (14 years, 18 days ago)

Plant's can survive 30-40 days easily in solo cups before they require daily care or need more room.  Magash has flowered clones in solo cups, so, give them a few weeks and then transplant.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

Re: Jiffy peat pellet transplant ?? [Re: coda]
    #384264 - 03/15/10 07:59 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Basically I'm really itching to get them into my medium mixture. Has anyone had problems with using this BS MG perlite in a setup like this? I had some yellowing in a couple plants and the first set of leaves on one has some crispy burns. From my limited experience I think its nitrogen burn.

So I have another set that just sprouted and some fox farm grow big. These guys are in plain perlite. Should I start feeding them a quarter strength solution at 10 days old as I have read? Or am I asking for trouble? Should I feed the plants in the MG perlite? Since they're beyond 10 days? I'm scared to, since the MG has nutes and I have no idea how they are releasing in this medium, since I have 3 that look really healthy, and 3 that look less healthy.

BTW all this is taking place at my buddies house. Since he has a brown thumb, I'm helping him out.

--------------------

Edited by Fick (03/15/10 09:27 PM)

OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

#384275 - 03/15/10 08:16 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

They are beautiful though. Burned or not, sexy bitches.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Jiffy peat pellet transplant ?? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #384496 - 03/16/10 07:29 AM (14 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
You could wait a few more days and it would be fine.  In fact I would let them grow a few more days to throw out more roots, then transplant.  At least another 5 days in my personal opinion.

At the point in the first set of pictures they probably haven't even grown out the jiffy pellets yet.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
Re: Jiffy peat pellet transplant ?? [Re: captain.koons]
    #387332 - 03/20/10 05:06 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Im a little confused, you said you have MG perlite and your saying it has nutes? Ive used MG perlite plenty of times and theres no nutes in them. Perlite is an additive to help keep soil from compacting, to my knowledge no perlite contains nutes so what your seeing is not from the perlite, that is if im understanding you correctly.

I never start ferts untill the third week after sprouting, that is the end of the 3rd week going on 4, or when the plant has its 3rd pair of leaves not counting codyeldons. You could start with a very very mild fert at the end of 2 weeks but I personally dont, and waiting one more week to be safe isint going to hurt the plant but ferting early and finding out the plant dint want or need it will. Under certain cercumstances where the plant needs it I would. This is just a personal preference but IMO its better to wait. Most tap water alone can carry a plant thru seedling stage which last about 3 or 4 weeks.

You can transplant whenever you want that isint a big deal unless your moving them to a soil too rich for the plant at that time. But like said you can leave them in the cups for awhile, really they could stay there from seed to harvest granted the proper care and attention is met, I dont recomend it but again thats really intirely up to you. Myself, I transplant before the roots even show but this is because I dont like to continuously transplant stepping up the container each time, IMO it cuts down on the stress to the plant, again this is just a me thing its not written is stone, however transplanting does cause a bit of stress to the plant, which is why its best to do it just before the dark period that way the plant has a night to get acustomed.

Judjing from the pics you should be fine to transplant, and start on a mild dose of nutes, 1/8 to 1/4 should be fine, id do 1/8 just to be safe, If you dont have one Id suggest getting something to measure the ph, preferably a digital meter. Also, thats not burn your seeing it looks like early signs of a deficency, probly nitrogen and maybe magnesium or potassium. The worst one from what i can see is the top left, the spots on the lower leaves lead me to believe they lack mag or K, and also N due to the slight off green and darker veins of the leaves.

A transplant and feeding should amend this, at least a light fert if nothing else. Good luck:thumbup:

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

OfflineGrow
Stranger

Re: Jiffy peat pellet transplant ?? [Re: Union420]
    #387358 - 03/20/10 06:13 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

MG Perlite has an NPK of .04-.01-.06

--------------------

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

#387383 - 03/20/10 07:12 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Well, I stand corrected, under the impression perlite was inert I never looked on the back of the package. Why they would do this is beyond me these people would enrich the plastic they put there products in if they could lol, I swear. Regaurdless, what I see is does not look like a nute burn, however I did come across something when checking to see if it had NPK (because Grow, I was astonished to see this) and came across this http://www.gardenscure.com/420/plant-food-nutrients/127423-perlite-enriched-plant-food.html I dint read the whole thing but the person seems to have problems simmilar but much worse than yours, it might not hurt to take a peek. I myself have never had problems with perlite, then again I rinse it very well before use, its become a habit from growing mushies so this could be flushing out anything.

Thank you Grow for pointing this out to me, 15+ years of growing and never noticed it, im usto seeing it on the front cause they usually say "enriched with" and my bags never say this. So thanks

--------------------

OfflineGrow
Stranger

#388053 - 03/21/10 11:35 PM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Np buddy. Yeah I was pretty astonished to see this too. And it's strange, why such low amounts like what's the point???!!

--------------------

Invisiblejwes420
Support Legalization!
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Great Lake Region
Re: Jiffy peat pellet transplant ?? [Re: Grow]
    #388648 - 03/23/10 08:51 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

The MG perlite is fine how it is. You should rinse it out though, if you are growing shroomies with it though.
I have also had plants in solo cups for 45 days or so now. I've even pulled them out of the cup when they're dry and checked the roots when the medium is dry. They're are not bound yet, but their transplant is coming soon. They DO require almost daily watering.

The yellowing is more likely a deficiency in Nitrogen. Right?

--------------------

.........."And You Will Come to Find, that WE are ALL, ONE MIND.....
.....Capable of ALL that's IMAGINED, and ALL That's CONCIEVABLE.....

OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

#388691 - 03/23/10 11:37 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Thanks for the input guys.

I think it was mainly a PH issue, with the MG probably not helping matters. They did get worse, but nothing like the ones in the link.

At the time of my last post, a PH tester was in the mail. My garden store didn't have any digital ones (they were on order) and I didn't want any of their cheapos, so ebay prevailed. I had tested the tap water a few times with some aquarium test strips and it looked like it was right around 7. Its well water and I figured it would be fine till it could be properly tested. We later found the PH to be at 8.3.

So since correcting the water PH to 6.5 on 3-19, and transplanting on 3-21, here they are today.

I trimmed off the worst leaves. They look a hundred times happier and growth is much faster now.

I have some FF Grow Big and Big Bloom. I want to give them a couple waterings before I hit them with nutes. The soil is pretty rich so they should be fine for a couple weeks.

I picked up some superthrive, is it just for cloning/transplanting or is it good to add every feeding?

--------------------

OfflineGrow
Stranger

#388719 - 03/23/10 12:36 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Superthrives good for transplanting. I use it all through growth though. Many say it's just a hoax but it couldn't hurt just use a drop a gallon.

--------------------

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Re: Jiffy peat pellet transplant ?? [Re: jwes420]
    #389021 - 03/23/10 08:11 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

jwes420 said:
The MG perlite is fine how it is. You should rinse it out though, if you are growing shroomies with it though.
I have also had plants in solo cups for 45 days or so now. I've even pulled them out of the cup when they're dry and checked the roots when the medium is dry. They're are not bound yet, but their transplant is coming soon. They DO require almost daily watering.

The yellowing is more likely a deficiency in Nitrogen. Right?

Yea, thats it, you can clearly see the bottom leaves getting more yellow as you go down the plant, the new growth is pulling what N the plant has stored from the lower leaves to use for the new thats why it looks greener as you go up. Nitrogen is a 'moble' nute meaning it can move to where its needed.

They look alot better, Id give it a week then start with a mild dose, there deff begging for it and a mild dose wont do harm. Other than that looks good :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck