Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Heat.
    #385555 - 03/17/10 07:25 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Alright so I could not afford a friggin thermometer so I am wingin the temperature in my room right now...

I am guessing its somewhere around the high 70's. I have three 26w CFL's running 24/7...and I figure since I can hold my hand directly underneath the lights almost touching them comfortably than its not TOO hot in there.

But idk. Two of my seeds sprouted so I am getting scared of heat burn now. I can't pick up a fan or a thermo until friday. Will my babies survive two days without this stuff?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Heat. [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #385571 - 03/17/10 07:39 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

More than likely they'll be fine.  If your really worried about the heat then raise the light up a bit from the plants for good measure.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: Heat. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #385572 - 03/17/10 07:41 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

They are about three-four inches above the plants. I mean...I can hold my hand right right right next to the fuckers forever and be comfortable. I guess they will be fine.

Thank you for the reassurance :]

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #385582 - 03/17/10 07:58 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Cool, you started!

Well, if you don't have a temp. guage, one way to check the heat coming down on your planted seeds is to use your hand. :wave:

EDIT: I see you already did the hand trick. You're all set then! Good luck.

Human hands have built-in heat receptors connected directly to our brains. In other words, you can measure heat using just the palm of your hand.

So what you do is place the palm (the inside) of your hand *right above the soil with your seeds. Hold it there for a few seconds. If your hand feels like its being burned, then its too hot. If it just feels warm, like bright sunlight hitting it, then you're A-Ok!

I do this all the time, because I don't trust the temp. gauge completely. Gives me a better reading that just ambient temp because its our bodies have it built-into us. Might as well use it.

A New Use for your Palm.... :sunny:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Edited by TrueHerbCrystal (03/17/10 07:59 PM)

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: Heat. [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #385583 - 03/17/10 07:59 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
Cool, you started!

Well, if you don't have a temp. guage, one way to check the heat coming down on your planted seeds is to use your hand.

Human hands have built-in heat receptors connected directly to our brains. In other words, you can measure heat using just the palm of your hand.

So what you do is place the palm (the inside) of your hand *right above the soil with your seeds. Hold it there for a few seconds. If your hand feels like its being burned, then its too hot. If it just feels warm, like bright sunlight hitting it, then you're A-Ok!

I do this all the time, because I don't trust the temp. gauge completely. Gives me a better reading that just ambient temp because its our bodies have it built-into us. Might as well use it.

A New Use for your Palm.... :sunny:
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Oh sick dude! Thats good advice. I haven't been burned yet so I think they are going to be fiiiiine. Just cant wait to see the other 7 pop out now!

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#385586 - 03/17/10 08:03 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

You're welcome dude. :smile2:

Yup, as long as you hold your hand there for like half a minute, and you feel no burning, your seeds will be fine.

The common thing around here for CFL's is that the end of the bulb should be at least 4 inches away for seedlings and no closer than 2 inches for larger plants. So, check with a ruler (if you haven't already) to make sure its far enough away...

So hapan, do you have a Grow Journal? I'd like to see what you're up to....

Check that distance....
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#385591 - 03/17/10 08:08 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

I do have a grow journal, it should be on the first page, im going to SIG it now.

No new pictures though, will take some on friday when I get my d40 out of pawn. Going to check distance now.

About how long on average is four inches, like what could I compare it too? Cause I dont have a ruler lawl.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#385599 - 03/17/10 08:19 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Oh yeah, I just checked your journal's update: I forgot I posted in there. My Bad. :shrug:

As foir the ruler, the cool thing is that a Bic(r) lighter is 3 1/4 inches long. So, if the lights are the lenght of the lighter or slightly longer, it should be perfect distance. If you are a *true* toker, you got some Bic(r) lighters lying around...

If you don't have that, any US paper money (dollar, $5 $20, etc.), when folded in half, is exactly 3 inches long (from folded part to free ends), so you could use folder paper money.

Let Me Know...
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#385603 - 03/17/10 08:21 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Height is good. So everything is good! WHOO! I am going to be getting some vegging nutes this weekend hopefully.

Does anyone know which Fox Farm veg nutes I should get and how much?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #385621 - 03/17/10 08:40 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Grow big, and then Liquid Karma for an additive.  Are you in soil??  If so then there is no need for nutes for a good while.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#385622 - 03/17/10 08:40 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Good, your all set for now. Remember to adjust your lights as it grows: don't wanna burn your babies.

As for Fox Farm nutes....I know "Tiger Bloom" is for flowering, but for vegging, not sure.

If you want a cheap, not-as-good-but-still-pretty-good alternative to FoxFarm, try Shultz. Here's what I'm using right now for vegging.

Its not that best, but its worked great for me and its cheap. Can't go wrong with $5 a bottle.

just remember that according to what Inverted said, the best fertilizer has a N-P-K ratio of about 2-3-1 (from this post by Inverted). The ratio isn't exact, since its 10-15-10 (or 2-3-2 when diluted), but its damn close.

And at $5 a bottle, which lasts a long time since its so concentrated, its great if your tight on money.

But if you have the money, go for a Fox Farm nute with a N-P-K ratio of 2-3-1.

The Choice for Nutes is yours.

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#385628 - 03/17/10 08:45 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

I am probably just going to order the Fox Farm triple bundle thing. There is a hydroponics store down the street and MOST of the store is nutrients and fertilizers so I might just go in there and have a looksie around.

One of the two guys that works there has natty dreads, guaranteed they grow buds.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #385637 - 03/17/10 08:51 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

If your open to different options I would go with Flora Nova.  Along with Liquid Karma as an additive.  And depending how much money you have to spend I would recommend using Sub-Culture on top of those 2.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#385641 - 03/17/10 08:54 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Starting April 2nd I will have a 200 dollar budget per month to spend on grow supplies.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #385648 - 03/17/10 09:03 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Awesome.  I tend to use a whole menagerie of nutes.  Are you growing in soil??

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#385656 - 03/17/10 09:25 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Menagerie noun

1. A collection of live animals for study or display

2.The facility where wild animals are housed for exhibition (WordWeb 2010).

So wait, you use live animals as fertilizer? Is that ethical? Is it practical?

If so, well done my friend...:greenthumb:

I'm Impressed Hawk!

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #385661 - 03/17/10 09:33 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Woops, I though it just meant a wide variety.  No, no animals for nutes.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #385668 - 03/17/10 09:39 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Nah I did use it correctly, here's Merriam Webster

1 a : a place where animals are kept and trained especially for exhibition b  : a collection of wild or foreign animals kept especially for exhibition
2 : a varied mixture

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#385687 - 03/17/10 10:02 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

I am growing in soil yes.

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

#385690 - 03/17/10 10:08 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Oh, OK.

I had to ask because it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to use dead animals (which you raised alive) as fertilizers. I mean, I remember trips to the shroom fields, and seeing the bones of dead cows. And in a perfect circle around that pile of cow bones was the greenest grass in the whole plain. There's no doubt there is some organic nutrient valve in dead animals (decomposed, of course).

But yeah, that makes more sense, the "wide variety" version. English can be very confusing sometimes...

I learned something today....

~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom