Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Heat load for a vortex VTX400 fan...Possible noise cancelling
    #222954 - 05/04/09 06:42 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I just received my vortex inline fan in the mail today and it seems slightly louder than I expected, I am trying to cut down the noise on this fan and was thinking about wooden box lined with a noise cancelling, fire resistant foam of some sort...with holes drilled into it for my intake and output hoses (4")...and a small hole for the power cord. This fan would obviously be mounted in a suspended state...so that no part of the fan other than the mounting brackets would touch the foam...

Now i know that this particular unit uses 80 Watts of power...some of that will be dissipated from the motor as heat...but my theory is that most of the heat will flow out with the outgoing air...

any theories or suggestions?

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Heat load for a vortex VTX400 fan...Possible noise cancelling [Re: Data]
    #223405 - 05/06/09 07:16 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

so nobody has any experience or opinions on this matter?

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #223428 - 05/06/09 10:19 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

While I have never done it personally, I have seen the technique used to great effect. Just make sure there is room between the fan and the foam and I don't think you will have any trouble with heat.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Heat load for a vortex VTX400 fan...Possible noise cancelling [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #223431 - 05/06/09 10:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thanks man i really appreciated the advice...I'll probably try it and post the results

--------------------

OfflineJohnny420

Re: Heat load for a vortex VTX400 fan...Possible noise cancelling [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #223433 - 05/06/09 10:42 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I guess it depends on where your fan is to be honest. I've seen 5" fan sitting at the same temp as ambient temperature of around 68F while running at full speed. These were outside the grow room though and not hanging inside with around 2.5' ducting between that and a 400W HPS..

I guess it depends on the temp of the air being exhausted though. if it feels hot then the fan might heat up inside the silencing box. The situation i was talkin about the exhausted air was cool enough to be used to cool the ballast.

--------------------
:jah: :baggy: WE HIT THE TREES TILL WE LOOK VIETNAMESE :baggy: :jah:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Heat load for a vortex VTX400 fan...Possible noise cancelling [Re: Johnny420]
    #223540 - 05/06/09 03:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well i have a 90W LED light for my lighting...so i am only using the fan to keep the smell down and to replace the air regularly to keep the humidity low and the ambient CO2 high...

One other question...if im running the fan at around 150 CFM in a 3x3x5 foot growtent...how often do i need to replace the air in the tent in order to keep the humidity down...or the CO2 up...for that matter...which one is more of a problem, the CO2 or the humidity...sorry for being such a noob

thanks
agmotes165

--------------------

OfflineAudz

#223576 - 05/06/09 04:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
well i have a 90W LED light for my lighting...so i am only using the fan to keep the smell down and to replace the air regularly to keep the humidity low and the ambient CO2 high...

One other question...if im running the fan at around 150 CFM in a 3x3x5 foot growtent...how often do i need to replace the air in the tent in order to keep the humidity down...or the CO2 up...for that matter...which one is more of a problem, the CO2 or the humidity...sorry for being such a noob

thanks
agmotes165

A good rule of thumb I've always heard is to exchange the entire volume of air every 5 minutes. At 40cf, your 150cfm is pretty well overkill in that regard. You shouldn't really have to worry about either with that fan.

OfflineJohnny420

#223582 - 05/06/09 04:49 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You're asking questions... at least you are trying to learn and not just diving in head first.

The air floating around will have C02 so as long as the air flow is good they will be getting C02.

Humidity is probably the bigger issue. you want it around 40-50%. One problem I've seen is humidity peaking during the night cycle. You will need to keep your fan on during this time to prevent this.

This might help a little...

A 2.5 x 2 x 4 Cab with a 135/211CFM dual speed fan on 24/7 and 400W HPS.

135CFM:
79F and 30% humidity lights on
65F and 40% humidity lights off

211CFM:
76F and 25% humidity lights on
60F and 35% humidity lights off

Humidity is a little low, but i think the good air flow makes up for it as there are little signs of problems. It just means watering a little more often as the soil dries out quicker. It is easily fixed by giving them a good spray with water. this can boost it back up to 40-50% humidity.

Given these numbers I can't see you having too much trouble. Your humidity will probably be higher due to the low heat output of the LED's, but if your fan is on 24/7 it should quite happily combat that.

Hope that helps with your plans.

--------------------

OfflineJohnny420

Re: Heat load for a vortex VTX400 fan...Possible noise cancelling [Re: Audz]
    #223584 - 05/06/09 04:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Audz said:
A good rule of thumb I've always heard is to exchange the entire volume of air every 5 minutes. At 40cf, your 150cfm is pretty well overkill in that regard. You shouldn't really have to worry about either with that fan.

:thumbup: Deffo a good rule to follow.

The only time I will disagree with it being overkill is if you have a HID lamp of 400W or more. In a small space it will raise the temp to ridiculous levels very quickly. No worries for you with LED's though!

Oh also if you are running through a carbon scrubber that will shave off some of the CFM of your fan. As Audz said though 150CFM is more than enough.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds