Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hey need a little help to get started (lighting) [Re: AKSE]
    #365826 - 02/16/10 11:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

ahh indeed. HID lights are in fact the best for plants in numerous categories, and lumens are generally a good measure anyway because the lumen data is available for practically every bulb in existence

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenewbie-grower
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #365843 - 02/16/10 11:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

ahh ok so how many lumens would u surgest for 1 plant in a 1.5x1.5 area at the moment i have 5669 lumens in there total but im worried becase its made up with majoraty blue spec in the veg stage should i use blue and red spec iv been reading around and people have said that i should use bouth duren veg and outher people say only to use blue and then go over to red when flowering
or could i use red and blue through out the hole grow from veg to flower

what would you people say about the smell because iv been told to take it in to consideration or get a carbon filter is the smell really that bad of a issue with 1 plant and how far does the smell travel

OfflineAKSE

Re: Hey need a little help to get started (lighting) [Re: newbie-grower]
    #365849 - 02/16/10 11:42 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Use blue spectrum 6500k bulbs during vegging. Use 3000k bulbs during flowering.  Don't bother mixing them.  The smell from one plant will not be very overwhelming you won't need a carbon scrubber.

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #365868 - 02/17/10 12:13 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AKSE said:
Use blue spectrum 6500k bulbs during vegging. Use 3000k bulbs during flowering.  Don't bother mixing them.  The smell from one plant will not be very overwhelming you won't need a carbon scrubber.

Why do you say not to bother mixing them? Is there really a significant advantage from switching spectrums to warrant the purchase of multiple sets of bulbs? Warm white CFLs seem to have a better lumen to watt ratio than the bluer CFLs.

OfflineAKSE

Re: Hey need a little help to get started (lighting) [Re: Ojom]
    #365871 - 02/17/10 12:23 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I suppose if you already have both kinds of bulbs you could use them both while vegging and flowering if you desired, would for sure be more lumen output.  However if someone was going to go out to buy new bulbs, I would say buy the right spectrum for the stage of growing (blue for veg, red for flowering).  I wouldn't reccommend veggings under only 3000k bulbs, and I also wouldn't recommend flowering under 6500k bulbs.  So yes, I would say it's worth it to get different spectrum bulbs.

Your question brings me to one I have thought over time and time again.  Is it more important to high a high intensity light and less than ideal spectrum?  Or is it better to have a less powerful light and ideal spectrum?  I feel like the more light the better, as long as it's not some crappy light like an incandescent or halogen.:thumbup:

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #365875 - 02/17/10 12:36 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm doing a grow right now to prove a point that you don't need the best shit.

I'll link when I get pictures, the seedling isnt worth showing at this point but it is looking very nice

Anyway, I'm using a hps 100 watt security lamp, 2 70 watt(300 equal incand.)...Some miracle grow the organic(with perlite)...Some general stuff around the place...

Anway...it should prove a point

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#365892 - 02/17/10 01:30 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AKSE said:
Quote:

DeiselB Said:Go by the actual watts, anything else and you'll be seriously dissapointed with your grow.

What horrible advice, don't listen to this. 

You measure light output in lumens, and you want atleast 2,000-3,000 lumens per square foot for good growth.  The more lumens you can put out per watt of power used; the better.  Thats why HID lighting is so efficient.

I think you seriuosly misunderstood me and that very well could have been my fault..

He asked a question of which measurement between two forms would be the better. I answered , "anything else" didn't mean "Don't use any other info on lights when deciding, only look at actual watts." He was asking a "This or That" question, plain and simple. So thats how I answered.

At any rate, I really don't appreciate the fact that you are starting out my reputation here as someone who gives horrible advice.. And not to listen to me? You could have simply said that; It would be a good idea to consider light output also, as well as other important factors.

I am not hostile nor do I intend to be, I just don't like when people who know absolutely NOTHING about me try to discredit me on basis of one sentence.. Thanks.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Offlinethe man

Re: Hey need a little help to get started (lighting) [Re: DieselB]
    #365895 - 02/17/10 03:30 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

dont worry about it dude. he is on the cusp of intelligence, and wishes to share his half thoughts as gospel. ( id take intensity over spectrum any day.. well except for the worst of spectrum bulbs) haha well if everyone could have there cake and eat it too.

when using bulbs not intended or growing, if you use multi colored ones you have a better chance of covering all useful wavelengths.

original poster: do your reading so you can form your own opinions, and dont rely strictly on us. As you will always get differing in opinions on alot of subjects, it is ultimately better to know why you are doing something so you know why it didnt work as you hoped and be able to tweak. sorry its late...ramble

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hey need a little help to get started (lighting) [Re: the man]
    #365938 - 02/17/10 08:17 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Alright I think this is appropriate in the context here. Sorry for the shameless self promotion but it seems like you all need to read this......

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/251624#251624

ALL cfls, half blue, half warm white, 3 different wattages. I literally just bought any bulbs I could find piece by piece as I went through. Scroll to the last page if you're curious how that turned out for me....

and here's a little preview

--------------------

OfflineAKSE

Re: Hey need a little help to get started (lighting) [Re: DieselB]
    #366134 - 02/17/10 02:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DieselB said:
Quote:

AKSE said:
Quote:

DeiselB Said:Go by the actual watts, anything else and you'll be seriously dissapointed with your grow.

What horrible advice, don't listen to this. 

You measure light output in lumens, and you want atleast 2,000-3,000 lumens per square foot for good growth.  The more lumens you can put out per watt of power used; the better.  Thats why HID lighting is so efficient.

I think you seriuosly misunderstood me and that very well could have been my fault..

He asked a question of which measurement between two forms would be the better. I answered , "anything else" didn't mean "Don't use any other info on lights when deciding, only look at actual watts." He was asking a "This or That" question, plain and simple. So thats how I answered.

At any rate, I really don't appreciate the fact that you are starting out my reputation here as someone who gives horrible advice.. And not to listen to me? You could have simply said that; It would be a good idea to consider light output also, as well as other important factors.

I am not hostile nor do I intend to be, I just don't like when people who know absolutely NOTHING about me try to discredit me on basis of one sentence.. Thanks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, however I think you can see how your sentence was somewhat confusing, atleast to me.  I now see you were answering his question of whether to use the watts the light actually uses, or the equivelent in wattage of incandescent lights that they replace.  My apologies!:rasta:

Quote:

the man said:he is on the cusp of intelligence, and wishes to share his half thoughts as gospel.

Can you say hipocrite? Misunderstandings happen frequently on the internet.  Don't add fuel to the fire by insulting me.

Edited by AKSE (02/17/10 02:44 PM)

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#366255 - 02/17/10 04:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Literally, the whole internet is a big misunderstanding.. The emoticons don't cut it, there's no way to communicate as effectively as we could in person. Honest truth, some of you may know what I'm talking about if you've been to ANY local forum meets. You come to find out that the biggest dick on the website is the polite and shy one at the meet.

For that reason I think everyone that wants to be a part of, and participate in a forum (No matter what the content).. Needs to try and be reasonable and forgiving because there are quite a few good people who have a hard time getting across their message, especially when their grammar and punctuation isn't up to par.

Back on topic.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder