Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monday afternoon at the Ba11sach household [Re: Frizzleman]
    #357204 - 02/03/10 12:27 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

ok so I just bought a new pump. Instead of a pump for a 20 gallon tank I upgraded to an 80, and I got a new timer so I'm running 15 on 30 off. I hope that's sufficient for them to recover because I REALLY don't want to drop $150 to run extremely short spray cycles. 2 second waterings sound awesome to me, but that's just more cash than I want to spend right now....

oh, and it's nighttime in there so I'm leaving the current sprayer nozzles on, I'll change them out when it's daytime, in like 4 hours or so.

do you think 30 minutes of pump-off time is too much when the lights are on? I don't want to kill them via dehydration either

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrizzleman
Stranger

Re: Monday afternoon at the Ba11sach household [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #357220 - 02/03/10 01:30 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have no idea, ive always just left mine on 24/7.......your going to have to just keep a close eye on them.

--------------------
Blue Dream (HSO) 1200 Watt HPS Grow Tent Journal

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." ~Albert Einstein

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#357230 - 02/03/10 02:13 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

My theory is pH spikes. Constant back and forth changing of the pH.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monday afternoon at the Ba11sach household [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #357231 - 02/03/10 02:24 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

nah dude definitely not pH spikes. I check it about 4 times a day but haven't had to adjust it for a week and a half now. it's at about 5.8 every single time

--------------------

OfflineFrizzleman
Stranger

#357238 - 02/03/10 02:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah def not PH, your theory is kind of like the cell theory, we know that shit isnt true but we dont really know the right answer yet.

Overfeeding is really what it looks like, but the collars might have been choking them out so I think when those are fixed you will be good to go

--------------------

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." ~Albert Einstein

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#357239 - 02/03/10 02:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Your probably right. I was just thinking since there's no buffer its hard to stabilize.

Like if you have a pH of 7 your water wants to be 7. You can lower it but it will fluctuate back and fourth. It can happen so fast you couldn't accurately test for it with your type of test. Pot might be more tolerant.

This is all coming from my knowledge on fish keeping. I'm not sure how well it translates to growing. I used this in my Mosura dwarf shrimp because any type of pH fluctuation will kill them instantly.
A digital would be ideal of course. I really don't need the alert any more because I buy a pH buffer/soil for the tanks that keeps it always at 6. Here's a link to the stuff. http://www.adgshop.com/Aqua_Soil_Amazonia_p/104-021.htm

Adding water starts a fluctuation cycle also. But you said you haven't had to add any in 5 days or so.

It's just so weird. I've seen that exact growth before and it was caused by dying roots. You need to figure out the cause asap b4 its too late. Don't want to see those babies die =(

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Monday afternoon at the Ba11sach household [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #357255 - 02/03/10 03:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Me either!  I figured Harry would hit a home run on his first go round with this system.

You'll figure it out man.  Seems like whenever I have a problem that affects the health of a plant, I usually don't figure it out and fix it until the plants are suffering bad, and they usually bounce back pretty fast.

I don't have problems like that much anymore but I'm just saying, you'll figure it out and save them, I have faith in you... haha

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monday afternoon at the Ba11sach household [Re: Inverted]
    #357272 - 02/03/10 04:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah to be honest I was expecting this to be fairly easy... I can't imagine why I would be having this much trouble with this new system. there's just one tiny issue nobody has thought of yet, and I'm confident as soon as I get it figured out this'll all be perfect.

and if you don't have problems anymore then that just means its time for you to try a new method :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#357293 - 02/03/10 05:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That's why I'm busting out the scrog tonight.

Good thinkin'!  :thumbup:

I await results from this new project of yours.  Just make sure you keep us pic-thirsty members satisfied.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monday afternoon at the Ba11sach household [Re: Inverted]
    #357309 - 02/03/10 06:00 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

bah, scrog is too easy. Go for a vertical NFT with upside down plants hanging from the ceiling!

now THAT's a project!

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#357389 - 02/03/10 09:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

lol, Well if I had a job I would have a hydro setup, but I just got my license back so now I can do some job searching.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #357400 - 02/03/10 09:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

God fuck me....

Ok, so I noticed some brown spots inside the channels and realized I had some algae growth. my first grow ever was a DWC that resulted in 3 of my 4 plants dying due to algae, so I don't fuck around anymore and immediately went on the offensive.

I disassembled EVERYTHING in the entire setup and even went as far as using a Q-tip to scrub the inside of the water lines and I bought new sprayer heads to replace the old algae covered old ones. I used a solution of physan20 and good 'ol H2O2 and a green scrubby to completely scour the inside of the tub, the inside of the channels, and then ran the solution through the system (without plants) for 2 hours to disinfect the internals of my pump as well. I also (and I hope this didn't do more harm than good) took the plants out of the net pots and soaked the hydroton in the same solution and a much more dilute solution for the roots of the plants. the plants were very recently transplanted so they hadn't really grown into the hydroton much, but there was definitely some snotty goop on the plugs and the roots so I think this was worth it even if it's gonna shock them.

And then I did one more crazy thing. I was thinking about the algae and where it came from and I realized that this design allowed way too much light into the reservoir.

So after way too much work and engineering I now have this;

thoughts?

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #357482 - 02/04/10 12:13 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

light is what creates the algae, as you know. i did a dwc last year and even went as far as to cover some cracks with an old t shirt. as long as there's no light, you shouldn't have any algae. i would think anyway, not sure if there's anything else that could cause the algae, again, i'm a newb.

--------------------

OfflineFrizzleman
Stranger

Re: Monday afternoon at the Ba11sach household [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #357529 - 02/04/10 07:37 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

dude my res is open and I never see any algea at all, but I hear some people to have problems with it......

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #357534 - 02/04/10 07:57 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah some people can get away with it, but I figured I couldn't rule it out as an issue until I at least did something about it. Plus, I definitely had some sort of brown snotty growth in the channels and on the roots, so it just seemed like another possibility :shrug:

Plus, I live in a house with 4 college age guys. My grow room is immaculate but I don't have filtered air intake on it, so quite frankly I can practically guarantee some spores from some old food or something will get in there eventually.

--------------------

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#358185 - 02/05/10 06:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That brown gunky stuff, now I cant say for sure but when ever I see that in my channels it always means my roots are dying somewhere or about to, watch that shit closely man.

--------------------

InvisibleNightGrower
Proficient Horticulturist
Male

#358651 - 02/06/10 09:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
God fuck me....

Ok, so I noticed some brown spots inside the channels and realized I had some algae growth. my first grow ever was a DWC that resulted in 3 of my 4 plants dying due to algae, so I don't fuck around anymore and immediately went on the offensive.

I disassembled EVERYTHING in the entire setup and even went as far as using a Q-tip to scrub the inside of the water lines and I bought new sprayer heads to replace the old algae covered old ones. I used a solution of physan20 and good 'ol H2O2 and a green scrubby to completely scour the inside of the tub, the inside of the channels, and then ran the solution through the system (without plants) for 2 hours to disinfect the internals of my pump as well. I also (and I hope this didn't do more harm than good) took the plants out of the net pots and soaked the hydroton in the same solution and a much more dilute solution for the roots of the plants. the plants were very recently transplanted so they hadn't really grown into the hydroton much, but there was definitely some snotty goop on the plugs and the roots so I think this was worth it even if it's gonna shock them.

And then I did one more crazy thing. I was thinking about the algae and where it came from and I realized that this design allowed way too much light into the reservoir.

So after way too much work and engineering I now have this;

thoughts?

I love that the box-cutter knife is in the picture. You wasted no time after completing the task to snap a shot of your latest triump. Genius!

Priceless...

--------------------
Learn of Terence Mckenna. Check out the Shroomery to learn more about what one man did for mushies. Thank you, Terence.

OfflineFrizzleman
Stranger

Re: Monday afternoon at the Ba11sach household [Re: NightGrower]
    #359036 - 02/07/10 07:56 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hey harry any updates? Hope they are doing better!

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #359075 - 02/07/10 10:15 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

*sigh* I dunno man... they're doing better but I'm still pretty frusterated. my room temp is around 80 degrees and I'm guessing that means that my water temps are at a similar temperature. I don't have any algae growing but the plants still look just as droopy.  I honestly don't have any more money to invest into this project right now, and with some top-quality clones on the way very soon I really don't want to risk it. I'm thinking I'm probably going to disassemble the system later this week and just fill my room with hempys for one last go. once I take a little medicine to clubs around here I'll have some money to invest into this project and I'm going to give it my full go. I'm not setting down this project for good, but I think it's definitely going to have to take a back seat for awhile :frown:

I was trying to start flowering in the next 2 weeks so I could harvest by 4/20 but after all this nonsense there's no way I can make that now... I don't want to risk delaying my schedule any further

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #359115 - 02/07/10 11:17 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I feel you man, my schedule just got fucked due to a hermie and now my next harvest is going to be 20-30 days past the date I had planned on.

It'll be waiting for you when you have the time and money to put into it.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale