Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSomeGuy
JerseyFresh
Male

Growing Outdoors in NJ??
    #346244 - 01/12/10 09:17 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Alright. Well i just got back from a little trip through the woods and found a pretty nice spot.

I took an ax out there and cut down some smaller trees to help improve direct sunlight exposure and made a little wall out of thorn bushes and holly trees so thick a elephant couldnt get through it (There was a small path that lead almost directly to my spot, and although it was untouched, i didnt want to take any chances)

I found the spot at about 9:30 and it had direct sunlight in the same spot until 10:30 when i left. It looked as though it would get direct sunlight from sun-up to at least 1pm so it seemed like a good spot.

It is about 2 blocks worth of woods away. There are some allys cut in the woods that lead to the main road, they are barely big enough for 1 car to get through. It goes like this. My house, through a block of woods, an ally, then i get to my spot which is through the next block of woods about 100 feet from the next ally. Like i said though, i made the only path from the small ally to my spot like a fortress, and the only other way in is to go through a whole bunch of pricker bushes through the woods from my house.

I know it is still winter, but im getting my spot setup now so i can watch it over the next month or so to see if there are any disturbances to the spot. One thing there are a lot of around here are deer. i saw plenty of tracks on my way to the spot. I figuer i can just buy some wolf urine from a hunting shop and it should keep them away. Squirels would most likely be the next problem which i have no idea how to deal with.

The plants im going to be growing are autoflowering. They are called white buddha, im getting them from The Attitude. Im going to germinate on the 10th of March since the last expected frost is the 20th, so i figuer they wont even be sprouted till the 15th.

I am going to plant them in Miracle grow soil. I know a lot of people say not to, but tomatoes and marijuana plants grow under almost the exact same conditions, so i figuer miracle grow for tomatoes will work perfectly. For every 1 cup of miracle grow im going to add 1/4 of a cup of perlite and vermiculite, with a 1 in. layer of vermiculite on top and bottom of the soil for better oxygen flow and drainage.

On the miracle grow it says it has nutrients that last up to 3 months. well thats about the total life of an autoflower plant so i dont know if i need any nutes or not?? Ive read that human urine has a lot of N in it and that hydrogen peroxide has a lot of H202 which plants LOVE.

I dont know if its stupid or not but i was thinking of watering like this. Until the plant reaches about 2 inches, im just going to use normal water (im going to buy big purified water jugs). once it hits about 2 inches im going to start using about a shotglass full of piss, and half a shotglass full of peroxide, per gallon of water, and use that once every 2 waterings and see what happens.

If thats a bad idea please tell me so i dont kill my plants, because ill only have 5 (assuming all of them germinate). I was also thinking about setting up a drip system because for about a week and a half ill be away in april so if anyone has any ideas on that, please tell me.

Other then all that im hoping for a nice, healthy grow (God willing)

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on anything ive said please tell me. Id rather learn from anothers experiences then learn from my own failures lol.

--------------------
Why is herb such a crime, when all it does is free the mind??

Edited by SomeGuy (01/12/10 11:17 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing Outdoors in NJ?? [Re: SomeGuy]
    #346793 - 01/13/10 06:34 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hey SomeGuy, welcome to the Growery! Yeah, I would say that's a bad idea. Any type of piss is POISON to plants and so is hydrogen peroxide. Take a leak in the same spot on your lawn for a while and you'll see what I mean. Peroxide attacks and breaks down organic matter which means as soon as it hits your root hairs, no more roots.

As far as soil you can get away with the MG but it's not the best (I'm using MG All-Purpose food for my indoor grow now). For outdoor growing I suggest you go down to Wal-mart and pick up a bag of Expert Gardener Organic Mix All-Purpose Garden Soil, 2 cu. ft. for like $5. Pick through it though because it will probably contain some rocks, sticks, plastic, metal, and other foreign objects. But it smells like cow shit, works GREAT right from the bag, and is cheap.

For nutes pick up a bottle of Alaskan Fish Fertilizer at your local greenhouse for like $10. Shouldn't be too hard to find in NJ.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineSomeGuy
JerseyFresh
Male

Re: Growing Outdoors in NJ?? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #346814 - 01/13/10 08:41 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Alright. Thanks Dr.Greenthumb. I was scared no one would answer me cus if not i was just going to do it anyways and that woulda messed me up totally. And ill deff. get the soil and nutes you said. It is going to be my first actual grow (ive thrown seeds in the ground and just kinda let them do thier own thing before)

And since im buying good seeds i want to do as good as i possibly can. But like i said, thanks for the help =). Im most likely going to start a journal as soon as i plant. But one other question. Which germination method do you find works better, putting the seeds in a cup of water, or wet paper towel. Ive done the wet paper towel before and it worked withing like 3-4 days, but it seems to me like everyone that germinates in a glass of water get results close to 24 hours later

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #346938 - 01/13/10 01:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No problem. You definitely want to do it the right way if you're buying seeds.

For germinating seeds I prefer the paper towel method. I put them in like a covered Cool-Whip bowl sandwiched in between the paper towel so the top of the seeds also get moisture. I just started germing 10 seeds yesterday (for my third indoor grow) and 1 of them has already popped. I'm expecting most of the rest to have popped by tomorrow night.

Also when I put them in soil, I prefer to put them down like 3/4". Planting them deeper seems to make the main stem slightly stronger when they pop the surface.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineSomeGuy
JerseyFresh
Male

#347609 - 01/14/10 02:04 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Alright, thanks bro. Im going to take all that advice.

Another thing i wanted to try but wanted to ask first was using dead fish as fertilizer like the native americans did. Would that even work good?? lol.

And Dr. i just noticed ur pic. Did you grow that?!

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #348365 - 01/15/10 05:18 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I wouldn't use straight dead fish on plants. Yeah it worked for the Indians but they were growing corn outdoors. If you put it in your pots I'd think that it wouldn't be long before your house started smelling like rotten fish.

And yes. That pic is a macro I took from my first grow. Don't how I got it to come out that good but I took many more pics and that was the best of all. Probably the best pic I've ever taken. If you want to check out my first grow you can find it here (That pic is in the second thread further down): http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/251285
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/258366

And here's my current grow: http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/344876

Additionally I just germed 10 seeds using the paper towel method. 10 of 10 all popped within 36 hours! Can't wait till they break soil.

--------------------

OfflineSomeGuy
JerseyFresh
Male

#348390 - 01/15/10 06:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Damn dude, your plants are great. Im hoping my white buddha looks something like the plant on the homepage lol. Ive been reading mad journals and asking the stupidest possible questions to get them out of the way, so i think the only thing left for me to do is wait for grow season and hope for the best!!

--------------------

Edited by SomeGuy (01/15/10 06:11 PM)

OfflineSomeGuy
JerseyFresh
Male

#348646 - 01/16/10 01:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I just went out to my spot and found some not so great news. the spot where i will have my setup only has direct light until about 1-1:30.

Im never up at sunup to go out there and see if it gets direct sunlight from sunup until 1, all i know is it has light from 9:30 until about 1:30.

Idk if 4 hours of direct sunlight is enough, but thats the only GOOD spot i can find in terms of security and sunlight. Im going to go back out there towards 4-5 o clock to check on sunlight then, but idk how well the plants will respond to off and on periods of direct and indirect sunlight.

Idk if i could even call it indirect sunlight because of all the shade around from trees it will be getting after like 1. Like i said though im going to go back out around 4 to check out the sunlight then. But its also still winter so hopefully the light cycles will change in my favor

--------------------

Offlinelibertaire
Stranger

#349225 - 01/18/10 07:43 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hey man, it's good to see some people active from the same area as me.  I'm trying the same thing you are, and am having quite a difficult time finding a good spot myself. 

Here's some things I have to add to the conversation.  For one, the earliest last frost date I found for NJ was April 15, and that's for newark/trenton, so unless you live in/near a city area, your frost date will likely be later than that, and if you live in a very rural area, like newton, it could be as late as the end of may.  Here's the link I got that info from, I hope it helps:

http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/nj.html

(Although if you follow the farmers almanac, their frost date for Newark, NJ is listed as April 4.  I would personally trust the link above since they have various dates for various places, as opposed to just one date for one place, but it's still something to keep in mind though either way.)

Another thing I would say is that your spot doesn't really sound like it's too secluded.  Two blocks of woods that have paths carved through them already?  These places are ever so common in new jersey, and are frequented by everything from homeless people to kids partying on the weekends, both of which would mean trouble for your plants.  I mean, sure it's a good idea to keep things close by so you can keep an eye on them, but the further out of the way from civilization you go, the better.  I would personally plant on a plot of woods that's not adjacent to houses, which may be difficult to find, but they exist if you look hard enough.  Here's a good video by Jorge Cervantes that should give you a good idea of what makes for a good guerrilla site:

Here's what I thought was the most important part if you don't have a youtube account or don't feel like watching it:

"I can't show you how we got here, but what I can say is we walked across a couple hillsides, up a river, through about 15-20 minutes of sticker bushes, which was pretty tough, and finally we made it here.  This is the kind of place you need to plant."

That's not to say that you don't have a fine spot, assuming you're confident in it's seclusion, and the pricker bushes are a great idea, but just make sure you don't see any trash in the direct area and that you're positive that the area is not commonly traveled.  Definitely keep up the observations, and if there is a path to your site already, maybe cover it up with some branches to conceal it from possible passersby.

In any case, I wish you well in your endeavor and hope that you end with some fat buds to show for you work.

OfflineSomeGuy
JerseyFresh
Male

Re: Growing Outdoors in NJ?? [Re: libertaire]
    #349235 - 01/18/10 08:21 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Oh no. you misunderstood what i was talking about with the paths. it the paths go like this

http://

The blue is houses, green is woods, black is mainroad, brown are the paths i was talking about. There arent any paths cut directly to my path through the woods. actually there was one but i cut down like 4 holly trees to cover it up

And i live farther south near AC and im in a small town and from what ive read it should be march 20th-30th. But im hopin global warming is real and itll help me out lol.

And i mean i could most deff. find a more secure spot no doubt. but the woods are so dense that finding a spot that actually has light is the problem. Im pretty happy with the security of my spot now though. The first thing i looked for were footprints (it was snowy out at the time) beer bottles, anything. There were bottles all along the brown paths but no where near my spot. The only thing near my spot was an old dry rotted tire and some rusty unidentifyable object.

--------------------

Offlinelibertaire
Stranger

#349238 - 01/18/10 08:30 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, true man, that sounds good.  Like I said, if you're confident in it's security, and can figure out a way to get light to the spot (try cutting out some branches if you're comfortable with climbing a tree), then go for it.

OfflineSomeGuy
JerseyFresh
Male

#349239 - 01/18/10 08:47 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Lol, i was actually thinking about it, but the trees around the spot that start to block out the sun are like 40 feet high. But i might go out today and try to find a new spot, just in case there is a better one out there somewhere.

How bout you, have you scouted a good spot yet?? idk bout finding a spot in the woods though around trenton. Where are you thinking of planting??

--------------------

Offlinelibertaire
Stranger

#349257 - 01/18/10 10:13 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have some ideas, but none that have been really solid.  I was looking into this open area that is enclosed on all sides by woods, which are then enclosed by a river on one side and a highway on the other.  There's only two real entrances to the area, both of which appear to be private, but upon my research, the land is open to the public for wilderness observation.  There's no houses for a mile in either direction and the only people who use the land really from what I could see are hunters.  (Which is the main reason I'm thinking twice about this site.)  Other than the hunters though, this site would be ideal because it's so secluded and there's some drainage ditches that run through the entire thing, so it would be easy to water.  The other possible draw back to this site though is that because of the ditches, it's prone to flooding, which may or may not be a good thing, I haven't decided yet.

The other site I was thinking of would be directly adjacent to a river, but I haven't scouted that site out enough to say for sure if it would work or not.

Another issue I'm working out, besides location, is the fact that the only seeds I have are from sour diesel, which is a sativa strain, which means that according to most reports, it wouldn't finish until november, after the first frost date, which is no good.  I'm hoping to either run into some hybrid or indica seeds, or find a report that it is possible to get sativa to successfully complete a flowering cycle in NJ.  I'm not counting on that to happen though, so who knows.

OfflineSomeGuy
JerseyFresh
Male

#349259 - 01/18/10 10:21 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well if you do it in the meadow, just put your plants against some trees or something on the west side. That way when the sun rises it will get all the sunlight from morning until late noon, and it will blend in.

If its out in the middle itll be spotted in a second, but put it next to some other plants and itll be almost invisible unless someone is looking for it.

I just went out scouting for a spot with my brother which wasnt the best idea because it rained yesturday and its all frozen. So as im walking through pricker bushes and other obsticals i come across a HUGE frozen pond. Well i figuer i can just walk across it, but it was on an incline so i slide down it, fall, and land right in a puddle. cellphone and everything got wet.

So i guess im not going scouting for a while lol

--------------------

Offlinelibertaire
Stranger

#349261 - 01/18/10 10:33 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, I was planning on putting it on a north or western edge, I wouldn't be able to plant it in the middle anyway, the middle is a marsh.

That sucks about the spill man, it can be harsh out there, be careful!  That's good about the puddle though, that could be used in the future for a possible water source.

OfflineSomeGuy
JerseyFresh
Male

#349266 - 01/18/10 10:54 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Doubt it, its just a temporary puddle. plus i wouldnt wanna water my babies with that mercy ass water with mad sedement in it.

But after a few days ill go exploring again. i have TONS of unexplored woods with no houses or anything at all actually near them. The only reason i havent checked yet is because i doubt theres going to be and open areas, but who knows

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck