Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Should I cut off these discolored leaves?
    #334785 - 12/21/09 10:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hello all,

The plants here are 4 weeks old.  On one of them there are some leaves are the bottom (the oldest single blade and three blade leaves) that are very dry, brittle, discolored and almost crumble in my fingers when I touch them.  There is also some really nice new stems shooting out from where those older leaves meet the main stem....

my question :
                Should I trim off these brittle lower leaves to let these new shoots fill in more?  I've heard people say don't do that because as bad as they look the plant still uses them...

Hope I didn't answer my own question once again. hah...

But if I did, I have one more related question:

These new branches popping out are like 3-4 inches long.  Could I take take it off as cutting for making a clone?  I'm sure its early only being a month old, but I'm anxious to find out if its male or female, and also to get some pot asap... (this pic below is a different much healthier plant than the one above, but they both have some nice new shoots branching out.)

(The plants are around 6 - 7 inches tall)

The grow guide says take cuttings from your plant before you put it in to the flowering room, but with my Hash Plant I plan on keeping it as a Mother, so can I take these new branches as clones or should I wait till its bigger and have more of them to select from?

Thanks

Edited by JRC (12/21/09 10:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Should I cut off these discolored leaves? [Re: JRC]
    #334802 - 12/21/09 10:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Leave the leaves, the plant does use them. 

Yes you can take clones.  Go for it!

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinemoogles
Re: Should I cut off these discolored leaves? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #334826 - 12/21/09 11:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

How does the plant still use dry, brittle, brown leaves?

My vote: Remove them!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Should I cut off these discolored leaves? [Re: moogles]
    #334864 - 12/22/09 12:47 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Because the whole leaf isn't that way.  Unless it's falling off on it's own, leave it.  It can still draw mobile nutrients from dying leaves and allocate them elsewhere.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

#334961 - 12/22/09 06:54 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Here is one more question about clonging I forgot to ask:

When I read in the guide about cloning- they say start the cutting in rockwool cubes or other soiless mixtures and use liquid rooting solutions. Should I still use rockwool cubes if I grow my plants in soil and not hydroponically ?  If I start a cutting in rockwool how do I later put it in soil, can I just put the cube in the soil and will it breakdown?  Or do I have to clone and start the clone in soil?

I heard somewhere that clones with 4 inches of soil below for the root, do better? I dono..

Thanks

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Should I cut off these discolored leaves? [Re: JRC]
    #334963 - 12/22/09 07:04 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You CAN do it in soil, but I don't like it.  There is  no way to tell if it's rooted without pulling on the plant to see if there is resistance.  I don't like that because that will just cause more stress.

Rockwool cubes or the equivalent are the way to go in my opinion.  After the roots show you just plant it in the soil and your good to go.  They don't break down they just chill there.  It's an inert substance so you don't have to worry about it.  Don't forget to soak them in water with a pH of 5.8 or so.  Rock wool has a high pH and you need to correct that first.

"I heard somewhere that clones with 4 inches of soil below for the root, do better? I dono.."

I don't know what your asking here.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

#334975 - 12/22/09 07:57 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

thats great you answered my question.  Thanks hawksapprentice

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds