Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: What kind of Light should I use for VEGGING??? FRUITING??? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #331193 - 12/14/09 11:50 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Furrowed, are you saying you see the same growth with 80W flouros as with a HPS? I can't imagine it, soon as the plants are somewhat established I think it's time to up the intensity big time.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What kind of Light should I use for VEGGING??? FRUITING??? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #331395 - 12/14/09 06:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

No, that's not what I meant.

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
I would recommend some floro's for vegging.  They seemed to do a great job for me.  80 watts total and the plants looked great during vegging.  but you can't beat the 600w hps for flowering efficiency.

During vegging id recomend a couple of T12's over a metal halid HID system..  Don't use your HPS for vegging (if you can avoid it), just flowering.  The floros are for your vegging cycle.  I've never done a side by side comparison of a plant under floros and under a metal halide, but from what I gathered with a couple grows under the 40w T12 fluorescent lamps i doubt the difference would be anything substantial.  I've got two 400w mh set ups and don't use them.  I don't know if the general consensus feels the same way, but im down for saving money and not dealing with reflectors lamps and ballasts when i don't have to when i dont need to.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What kind of Light should I use for VEGGING??? FRUITING??? [Re: Buddy]
    #331591 - 12/15/09 01:34 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Buddy said:
They must do. The only difference between HPS and MH is that one require's a starter and the other doesn't. I was reading into it before, don't ask me which needs the starter. If you're experienced enough with electrics all you have to do to convert a MH ballast to a HPS is remove or add the starter. I assume the only thing extra in a conversion bulb is there's a starter incorperated into it. Is there much difference is price?

The difference between the two are that they have a different spectrum of light that they put out.  One is better for flowering, HPS.  And one is better for vegetative growth, MH. 

If your watts are high enough, I think they both need "starters" i.e. ballasts.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: What kind of Light should I use for VEGGING??? FRUITING??? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #331639 - 12/15/09 04:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

Buddy said:
They must do. The only difference between HPS and MH is that one require's a starter and the other doesn't. I was reading into it before, don't ask me which needs the starter. If you're experienced enough with electrics all you have to do to convert a MH ballast to a HPS is remove or add the starter. I assume the only thing extra in a conversion bulb is there's a starter incorperated into it. Is there much difference is price?

The difference between the two are that they have a different spectrum of light that they put out.  One is better for flowering, HPS.  And one is better for vegetative growth, MH. 

If your watts are high enough, I think they both need "starters" i.e. ballasts.

I think you missunderstood me. I was refering to the compatability of MH bulbs with HPS ballasts and vice versa. I reckon most beginners on this site have learnt by now that HPS and MH have different spectrums that are better for different stages of growth. A ballast isn't just a starter, it's used to control the current so you don't overload your power supply and set the place on fire, and to rectify the frequency of the power supply so the bulb isn't flickering. They're used constantly while they're in use not just as a starter. The difference between a HPS and a MH ballast is that the HPS ballast has what's called an Igniter module in the circuit to get it fired up, whereas a MH does not.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What kind of Light should I use for VEGGING??? FRUITING??? [Re: Buddy]
    #331644 - 12/15/09 05:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, sorry about that, definitely a misunderstanding.  It just read that way to me.  I realize that they are used the entire time they are on.  Does HPS just need an extra jolt of electricity or something??

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder