Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

pH change - i know nothing - help???
    #328302 - 12/07/09 06:16 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i use distilled water with a pH of 6. today i started using my nutrients. fox farms big bloom and grow big at half the strength the bottle says per gallon. i tested the water after i put my nutes in it, and it hadnt changed much, it was still at 6.

i watered, and tested the water that came out of the bottom of both pots about 3 times a piece, and every time the pH ended up being 5. is this a big deal? what should i do?

BTW im using the dropper method of the pH testers from general hydroponics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pH change - i know nothing - help??? [Re: Pilze]
    #328331 - 12/07/09 07:29 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

if your distilled water is at 6.0 without adding anything (as you've indicated) then it's not purely distilled water.  should read 7.0.  I'm not certain but i would be led to believe, from reason, that your soil content or prior watering was more acidic.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: pH change - i know nothing - help??? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #328368 - 12/07/09 08:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

distilled water from wal mart, it looks like 6 to me by the color chart :shrug:

i use fox farms ocean forest and miracle gro perlite with those, only watered with distilled water until tonight.

i went and bought black gold perlite. perlite with no nutrients or anything. im almost done replanting 3 plants and 1 clone.

could it have been the miracle gro perlite that dropped the pH like that? what if i got one of those pH up and down things? or does it not matter as much with the water coming out? just worry about what im watering it with?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #328378 - 12/07/09 08:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

if your distilled water is at 6.0 without adding anything (as you've indicated) then it's not purely distilled water.  should read 7.0.

Actually, that's true and not true.  Distilled water has a Ph range of 5-7.  If the distilled water has a chance to interact with air and absorb carbon dioxide, over time the CO2 will react to form carbonic acid which lowers the Ph. However, you are correct in saying distilled water should have a Ph of 7 because at it's purest state, that's what it exists as.

So, it's entirely possible Pilze ended up with something that was slightly more acidic then hoped for.

Quote:

i use fox farms ocean forest and miracle gro perlite with those, only watered with distilled water until tonight.

As you pointed out the miracle gro coated perlite may have helped dropped the acidity of your soil.  I wouldn't trust run off as an accurate way of testing your soils Ph, if anything buy a Ph testing kit designed for testing soils.  You scoop a small sample of your soil and mix it with a chemical and water much like the normal Ph testers work.  Run off is a poor choice because you're still testing the Ph of the water that comes out, not the soil.  So if you wash out some nutrients, or if some of that miracle gro gets in your runoff, the Ph reading can be lower then what the true Ph of the soil is.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pH change - i know nothing - help??? [Re: coda]
    #328380 - 12/07/09 08:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I can only speak from my own experience of purchasing hundreds of gallons of distilled h20 and testing it.  :shrug:  I don't know about all that technical stuff.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#328386 - 12/07/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

cool cool. ill pick up a soil test kit next time im at the hydro store.

i didnt want to use miracle grow perlite, but i had no option at the time. i needed to transplant 2 clones ASAP and theh hydro store only had giant bags of the big chunk perlite. but they finally got the black gold perlite in recently, so i was able to grab some of that up.

ill check the pH runoff when i water these 3 or 4 that im transplanting right now just for fun to see what it is. that miracle gro might have played a role.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #328389 - 12/07/09 09:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I can only speak from my own experience of purchasing hundreds of gallons of distilled h20 and testing it.

Yah, I understand what you're saying.  And nearly all the time the distilled water from the super market is going to test right around 7.  It's also possible Pilze's test could be wrong too.

--------------------

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#328402 - 12/07/09 09:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

its either 6 or 7, i can tell you that. but to me it looks closer to 6 than 7. could be 6.5 i guess.. who knows. ill talk to the guy at the hydro store and see if i should use a pH up/down to get the pH at the right level.

repotting is done! an updated picture of my garden will be posted shortly. it looks sexxay.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#328430 - 12/07/09 10:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

OK so check this out!!! i think i figured it out

it was that god damn miracle grow perlite. i had no choice at the moment so i had to use it, but now i know to NEVER use that shit.

i replanted my plants from seed and another one of the jack clones into ocean forest soil and black gold perlite. the good perlite.. i have 2 still in cups waiting to get a good root system before transplanting.

anyway, i mixed my water and fertilizer, put the air tube in it for an hour or so to bubble around and mix up, watered the new transplants, and checked the pH of the run off and it was clearly 6.5!!! ugh i wish my hydro store had the right perlite when i was in need, but oh well. i kinda gotta deal with whats goin on. im sure itll bounce back and be fine. it was only the sour diesel that really got hit bad by it. the jack looks a hell of a lot better.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #328432 - 12/07/09 11:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In all honesty, Ocean Forest doesn't absolutely HAVE to have perlite added to it.  I use it straight with good results.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: pH change - i know nothing - help??? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #328433 - 12/07/09 11:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

a friend recommended me do that. but i dont think they knew what soil i was using, or if that even mattered. plus some people on here said it would be good to air up the soil a bit by adding 1 part perlite to 3 parts soil.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #328437 - 12/07/09 11:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Oh it doesn't hurt, but if its miracle grow perlite vs. plain soil.  Plain soil FTW.

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #328438 - 12/07/09 11:40 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Plus Ocean Forest already has quite a bit of perlite in it to begin with.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#328446 - 12/08/09 12:08 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Oh it doesn't hurt, but if its miracle grow perlite vs. plain soil.  Plain soil FTW.

i will never in my life buy miracle grow shit again. the cactus soil has fuckin flies in that shit...

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Plus Ocean Forest already has quite a bit of perlite in it to begin with.

i figured a little more perlite would only help. i cant wait to see the plants in a week once they start getting the nutrients. i hope i see a nice change. i sure ill see SOME kind of change, lets just hope its a positive one.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #328575 - 12/08/09 06:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

A lot of people cut OF soil with more perlite because it's so damn rich.  A lot of smaller plants/clones can really suffer because the damn stuff is so hot.  Plus the additional perlite helps keep the soil mixture nice and airy which cannabis prefers.  You'll notice greater soil compaction using OF straight then without it being mixed with some extra perlite.  It is not necessary, but it is helpful to mix in the extra perlite.  Plus it helps stretch out your soil which saves you money.

Quote:

ugh i wish my hydro store had the right perlite when i was in need

Kind of surprising to see a hydro shop carry anything with miracle gro in it.  Any hydro store owner who has half a brain knows that miracle gro is best left to tomato's and cucumbers, not buds.  Get the fuck on your hydro guy to order the cubic foot bags of perlite from general hydro.  Usually run around 20 bucks and it's enough perlite to last many grows.

--------------------

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#328650 - 12/08/09 09:29 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

oh no no no. my hydro store is legit. they only carry the real shit. at the time they only had bags as big as i am full of HUGE chunks of perlite. i didnt get miracle gro perlite at a hydro store lmao. i would be like "WTF is this doing here for?"

i NEEDED to transplant 2 clones into bigger pots, and i had to go to ace hardware and pick up some MG perlite...

FUCK MIRACLE GRO ANYTHING!!!!

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #328663 - 12/08/09 09:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I feel that it shouldn't even be used on your vegetables.  I use the same nutes on my veggie garden that I do with my indoor garden.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #328720 - 12/08/09 11:09 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
FUCK MIRACLE GRO ANYTHING!!!!

I agree. I did a Miracle Gro grow. What a waste of electricity.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: pH change - i know nothing - help??? [Re: KaptKid]
    #328727 - 12/08/09 11:31 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yea, the jackass i got the clones from used miracle grow soil, hydroponic nutrients, and shitty tap water. he didnt check pH or anything. and grew the fuckin plants with 4 4' T5s... sorry for you T5 users, but those are only good for clones and vegging.

OfflineASEgrower
Stranger

#329255 - 12/10/09 08:23 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
yea, the jackass i got the clones from used miracle grow soil, hydroponic nutrients, and shitty tap water. he didnt check pH or anything. and grew the fuckin plants with 4 4' T5s... sorry for you T5 users, but those are only good for clones and vegging.

Most hydroponic nutrients work fine in soil.  The miracle grow soil, thats a whole nother story.  And tap water without PHing it?  Hes lucky he had any decent results.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order