Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr. Awesome

small grow recomendations?
    #324970 - 12/02/09 01:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

hey guys, been a while since Ive made a post, but ive got a new micro grow project that i would like some feedback on.  what i am looking to do here is grow between 1 and 4 plants in a small indoor greenhouse from home depot.  it will be modified to of course me completely light proof, but when it comes to lighting i want the absolute max i can get without needing to spend a bunch of money on a cooling setup.  teh mini greenhouse i plan on buying is about 18"D x 24"L and about 60"H.  Ive considered growing using a home made battery of 12 42w CFL's but after doing some math, the wattage/lumen ratio just isn't anywhere near where I'd hoped it would be compared to a 400w MH or HPS.  so Ive been looking around at lower wattage HPS in the 70-150w range and i am thinking of doing a combination of HPS and CFL for this grow. 

does anyone know what i could get away with as far as lights go before heat becomes too much of an issue? Ive never used these lower wattage HPS bulbs before so im not sure how much heat i will have to deal with. id prefer to not have to use more than a couple computer fans to keep the mini greenhouse at optimum temps.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: small grow recomendations? [Re: Dr. Awesome]
    #324995 - 12/02/09 05:52 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well, with my limited amount of knowledge I can offer the following advice...

Heat will be an issue with almost any realistic lighting setup unless you don't heat your house this winter.  Also, your plants need fresh air/ventilation.  Usually a single setup handles both issues.  Humidity is also something you're controlling with good ventilation.

If smell/security is not an issue, you can ventilate/cool for cheap using computer fans.  If you want to use a carbon scrubber axial fans may or may not cut it, but for just moving air they're fine.

Is that box really a greenhouse type thing?  I'm assuming it's some kind of storage or cabinetry unit... If not, you could find one in those dimensions for cheaper than an actual greenhouse.

Lowes carries 70w HPS security lights which can be converted to externally ballasted bare-bulb setups for under $50 a piece... they have a 150w that prices at $89 in my area.  Check craigslist too.... If you live in a medical state especially, there's going to be some deals to be had.  Easiest way I've found is to search for 'ballast'.

Anyway good luck man.

Offlinerodfarva

Loc: Sobe
Re: small grow recomendations? [Re: DudeTron]
    #325026 - 12/02/09 07:43 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ive considered growing using a home made battery of 12 42w CFL's but after doing some math, the wattage/lumen ratio just isn't anywhere near where I'd hoped it would be compared to a 400w MH or HPS.

Are you comfortable with your skills in making a safe rig that wont overheat, burn, or pose a shock risk with all the adjusting and on/off you will have to do?

--------------------

OfflineDr. Awesome

Re: small grow recomendations? [Re: rodfarva]
    #325387 - 12/02/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

rodfarva said:
Quote:

Ive considered growing using a home made battery of 12 42w CFL's but after doing some math, the wattage/lumen ratio just isn't anywhere near where I'd hoped it would be compared to a 400w MH or HPS.

Are you comfortable with your skills in making a safe rig that wont overheat, burn, or pose a shock risk with all the adjusting and on/off you will have to do?

yes i am confident in my abilities to wire up such a rig, however the cost of 12 42w CFL's is a bit much to swallow for the performance id get out of it.

i think i would prefer to use a lower wattage HPS with and maybe only using 8 CFL's (2 in each corner) for side lighting,  the main reason im finding myself drawn to using lots of CFL's aside from the low heat they produce, is that i can mix and match to add either more blue or more red spectrum.

also does anyone have experience using and of those ozone generating CFL's? Ive read that they can be pretty effective but they are pricey so i wanna make sure they are worth it before dropping 60 bones on a CFL

Offlinerodfarva

Loc: Sobe
    #325887 - 12/03/09 04:56 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Awesome said:
Quote:

rodfarva said:
Quote:

yes i am confident in my abilities to wire up such a rig, however the cost of 12 42w CFL's is a bit much to swallow for the performance id get out of it.

i think i would prefer to use a lower wattage HPS with and maybe only using 8 CFL's (2 in each corner) for side lighting,  the main reason im finding myself drawn to using lots of CFL's aside from the low heat they produce, is that i can mix and match to add either more blue or more red spectrum.

also does anyone have experience using and of those ozone generating CFL's? Ive read that they can be pretty effective but they are pricey so i wanna make sure they are worth it before dropping 60 bones on a CFL

I feel, safety first. Even a small fire could expose your grow. Err on spending more $$ for proper equipment. From what i understand the worst thing that could happen there is you grow better stank.

--------------------

OfflineDr. Awesome

Re: small grow recomendations? [Re: rodfarva]
    #326195 - 12/03/09 05:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

its not really an issue of how much money i spend, as it is getting as much out of the money that i do spend.  i already have another grow going with a full aeroponic system and 600w light with air cooled reflector.  and it certainly does produce some stellar smoke. 

i just wanna know if a few computer fans could keep it cool enough if i were to use a 70 or 150w HPS in there as well.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #326244 - 12/03/09 07:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Refer to this thread/journal for a good guide.  I've done lots of research over the years.

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/308928

I'm growing in basically the exact situation.  I wanted to see how much I would pull in a small area.  I'm using 200w of 42w CFL's and a 250w HPS, or 150 if I don't get enough money together in the next week.

I'd go with a 250 and CFL's for undergrowth supplemental lighting.

Should be perfect amount for that space! :thumbup:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineDr. Awesome

Re: small grow recomendations? [Re: Inverted]
    #328426 - 12/07/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

well, biggest i will be able to go is a 150w for this grow tent.  i know that with proper ventilation, i could get away with a 400w HPS in there, but my goal isnt to cram as much light in there as possible.  my goal is to get as much light as possible, without needing more than just a couple computer fans to vent
it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies