Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

duct muffler?
    #311487 - 11/06/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I just hooked up my 447 CFM vortex, and it's one loud machine! Almost no mechanical sound, but the whoosh is very noisy, even pushing through my 20" scrubber.

I ran the light for about an hour with my current exhaust setup (inside cab->600W HID->duct->fan->scrubber (which is outside cab)), and it didn't get higher than 86F at 9" from the glass (ambient got up to 77F), but I'd like it to be cooler in there in case my ambient gets warmer. I figure moving the scrubber to the beginning of the exhaust process instead of the end will allow more efficient airflow, and therefore lead to cooler temperatures.

And therein lies the rub: even with my scrubber currently acting as a "muffler" for the noise of my fan, it's still quite loud. I need to build a good duct muffler to bring the exhaust noise down to a whisper. My cab is in the middle of my living room, and while it's quite visibly stealth, silence is the key. I came across a relatively good duct muffling tek somewhere, but can't seem to find it again. Maybe at ICMag?

I guess my question is: do you know how to build a duct muffler? How well does it work?

EDIT:
I searched around on ICMag and found a few duct muffler threads. My question now is: does anyone use a duct muffler? Tell me about it. Assuming you're sitting on a couch in an average apartment with a fridge and the cab equidistant away (~15ft) and no other major sounds, would you notice the cab on ventilation sound alone? Sorry if that's a stupidly-specific question, but I'm basically wondering if I'm going to need to go to extreme lengths, or if it's even possible, to keep my cab both silent and cool. ANY applicable advice welcome.

Edited by God (11/07/09 12:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: duct muffler? [Re: God]
    #311761 - 11/07/09 12:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well, look at it this way, can YOU hear your fan from 15 feet?  If you can't hear it chances are no one else can either.  You can also buy insulated ducting to help reduce sound.  Since sound is just vibration anything that can absorb that vibration will help muffles sound.

Also, FYI, it's more efficient to push air through a scrubber then it is to pull it through.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: duct muffler? [Re: coda]
    #311813 - 11/07/09 01:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the tips, coda.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has used a muffler, and was trying to find out how effective they were before I built one. A little more research shows that they're my best option here.

Could we talk more about pushing vs. pulling air? I keep hearing conflicting information, and I think it needs some clearing up. It seems obvious that putting the fan at the end of the exhaust line and pulling all the air through the ducting with it would allow for higher CFMs; research confirms that it's about 4x more efficient to pull than to push air. When people say "it's more efficient to push through a scrubber than to pull," do they mean "by pushing air through your scrubber, you're forcing it to travel through the scrubber more slowly than if you were pulling it, therefore allowing odors to be 'extracted' more efficiently"? Or do they mean "air will move faster through your exhaust system if you push, rather than pull, through the scrubber"?

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

#327608 - 12/05/09 11:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm wondering the same.  I'm planning on rigging a 447cfm 6in vortex up in my attic and sound is an issue.  I've heard that you can put the carbon filter either in the beginning or at the end of your ventilation.  Powerful inline fans are actually more efficient sucking are through a filter than pushing it through.  Did you build or buy your carbon filter? Maybe you could rig a carbon filter of a different style before the fan, with the fan at the end of the line???  That's what I wanna try and do.  ALSO, insulated ducting would probably be your best bet. :thumbup:

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: duct muffler? [Re: coda]
    #327940 - 12/07/09 01:25 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Also, FYI, it's more efficient to push air through a scrubber then it is to pull it through.

Really man? I've read the exact opposite... Now I have no clue... It makes a big difference in the engineering of a cab.

Also, whooshing sounds, as well as the overall efficiency of your airflow can helped by just making your intakes and/or exhaust have trumpet shaped throat flanges...

lol
Having them shaped like a funnel basically..... Or so I've read...

InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

#327975 - 12/07/09 05:29 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I've had this bookmarked for awhile

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=42646

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: duct muffler? [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #328048 - 12/07/09 12:43 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That duct muffler is amazing, still a lot of unanswered questions though...I might just use insulated ducting and, if I can, a flared-trumpet endd like DudeTron says.  Good Idea!

Offlinecockdiesal_mf

Re: duct muffler? [Re: DJ_avocado]
    #328287 - 12/07/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome link man! This will come in handy. :dancer:

--------------------
PLEASE CALL UR REPS FOR P.A. HB 1393  http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/354101
THERE IS NO CRIME WITHOUT A VICTIM! 
A MUST WATCH FOR ANYONE!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNOoNu3FCU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-4Id57CaAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avipzVVmpL8
A MUST SEE FOR ANYONE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale