Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecitizen13
Stranger
Blueprints. What do you think?
    #327722 - 12/06/09 01:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

ok after a few false starts and some helpful info from you guys, i've gone back to the drawing board and this is what i'm planning on building for my first grow, i really just want to run it by you guys before i go and start buying the materials

the cab will be 3x3x6

should i connect those deep water hydroponic tubs together with a water pump to make giving them nutes easier?

overall comments/suggestions welcome. i have no clue what i'm doing and trying to absorb as much info as possible.

also: with a carbon scrubber just venting out the top, do you think smell will be an issue? I am in an apartment, but i dont have guests and i don't party. in fact im kind of a recluse, the only person that ever comes in is the maintenance guy ever few months but they give plenty of notice and never walk around or snoop.

--------------------
My current Growlog/DIY compendium

lock the doors and close the blinds, we're going for a ride.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: Blueprints. What do you think? [Re: citizen13]
    #327737 - 12/06/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Size looks good, but I'm a little confused about the ventilation system. It looks like your light is in a closed system, where you're sucking in outside air, pushing it across your bulb to cool it, and pushing it right on back out of the room. This would be a good strategy to keep heat down in your cab. However, that process doesn't necessitate a carbon filter. If your light exhaust system is completely sealed off from the interior of the cab, then no smell will get out.

You really need an intake vent near the bottom of your cab to pull in cool, fresh air from outside (more CO2 in fresh air than in your cab) and a fan to suck it out the top (that's where the carbon filter should be). If you want to cool your light and you only have one fan, you can either go:

passive intake->interior of cab->carbon scrubber->light->fan->outside

or:

passive intake->interior of cab->light->fan->outside->carbon scrubber

The reason the carbon scrubber would need to be outside in the second configuration (which is similar to your drawing), is because your fan would be pushing air from inside your cab into the inside of the scrubber, then through the carbon and out of the filter. If the filter were inside your cab, the filtered air would just go right back into your cab. In the first configuration, the scrubber is at the beginning of the exhaust setup, because the fan is sucking air from outside of the filter, into its interior (through the carbon), then through the light, etc. This means you need to be careful that no air is leaking in to your exhaust system after the filter (around the connections of the light or the fan, for example), or some smell will leak out. If you set up one of these configurations properly, smell should not be an issue.

How many CFMs does your fan move?

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger
Re: Blueprints. What do you think? [Re: God]
    #327741 - 12/06/09 03:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

oh crap that doesnt make sense does it. see this is why i posted this!  thanks alot :laugh:

edit: 424 cfm

--------------------

Edited by citizen13 (12/06/09 03:19 PM)

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger
    #327745 - 12/06/09 03:22 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

edit: in the second setup, do i need to have anything on the intake hole in the light? or can i just leave it how it comes stock?

fixed:

--------------------

Edited by citizen13 (12/06/09 03:44 PM)

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#327773 - 12/06/09 05:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

That looks better. Once you have everything set up, try moving the filter inside the cab and see if there are any benefits for your setup (ie quieter fan, or maybe less smell if that was a problem). There are benefits to either setup, but I don't know enough about it to provide much more than speculation.

As far as putting something over the light hole: may not be necessary, but putting some furnace filter material, or even pantyhose, over the hole will help keep dust and other crap from getting into your filter and making the carbon not last as long.

Your fan should be plenty powerful to do what you have pictured. May even be able to dial it down a bit if noise is an issue.

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger
    #327775 - 12/06/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you God.

You really are all-powerful.

--------------------

Offlineelcharrosays
Male User Gallery

#327782 - 12/06/09 05:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

;omniscient

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Blueprints. What do you think? [Re: elcharrosays]
    #327785 - 12/06/09 05:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You could use a fan with half that CFM rating...

Just a tip if you want to save some $

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #327814 - 12/06/09 07:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Some ideas so you don't have to start from seed every time.

One that I built.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#327895 - 12/06/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

citizen13 said:
You really are all-powerful.

On the contrary, most of the stories you've heard about me have been greatly exaggerated over time. :wink: The links in my signature should clear things up a bit.
Almost all of the information I can spout relating to cannabis cultivation has been gleaned over the course of a few years reading on sites like this.

Blah blah...as far as your grow goes, I agree with Inverted and Magash:
-you could use a slower fan if you want to save money/make things less noisy. If you already bought the fan, you could spend even more money dialing it down if noise becomes an issue. Dr. Penguin has a good writeup on that
&
-go perpetual!

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger
    #328143 - 12/07/09 03:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks Magash, I am definitley going to incorporate another side chamber for my mother and supplies and electronics. I'll be referencing those drawings for ideas.

I already have everything i need to dial it down actually and was planning on it. I'm not sure how loud an inline fan is but if it's anywhere near the squirrel cage blower i use for my other projects...

then i know it's loud as all hell and definitely not stealth whatsoever without dialing it down a whole lot.

would incorporating weather stripping on the edge of the door be a good idea to help keep negative pressure and the smell to an absolute minimum? does anyone have any tips for creating an relatively airtight cab?

also, is there an issue with me being unable to vent to anywhere except the room i am growing in? i have absolutley no other alternatives, I cant vent out the window or really mod my residence in any way.

--------------------

Edited by citizen13 (12/07/09 03:58 PM)

Invisiblejwes420
Support Legalization!
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Great Lake Region
    #328178 - 12/07/09 04:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Is that a big frankenstein looking Myco chamber?

--------------------

.........."And You Will Come to Find, that WE are ALL, ONE MIND.....
.....Capable of ALL that's IMAGINED, and ALL That's CONCIEVABLE.....

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger
Re: Blueprints. What do you think? [Re: jwes420]
    #328186 - 12/07/09 04:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

jwes420 said:
Is that a big frankenstein looking Myco chamber?

Frankenstein is actually its name. :stoned:

--------------------

Offlinecitizen13
Stranger
    #328319 - 12/07/09 07:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

citizen13 said:
would incorporating weather stripping on the edge of the door be a good idea to help keep negative pressure and the smell to an absolute minimum? does anyone have any tips for creating an relatively airtight cab?

also, is there an issue with me being unable to vent to anywhere except the room i am growing in? i have absolutley no other alternatives, I cant vent out the window or really mod my residence in any way.

also: in that first pic there is a heat shield; does that work? does it absorb any light or create any problems? is it a good idea?

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #328399 - 12/07/09 09:29 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

You'll have to find a way to keep the room cool.  Cabinet temps usually run about 10-12 degrees hotter then ambient temps.  However, if you have a closed room eventually the hot air from the light will raise the ambient temps outside the cabinet and ultimately, fry your grow on the inside.  So, even if you can't vent out the window, cracking one to let in cool air (gotta love winter!) will help alleviate these issues.

I'm in the same position as you, can't cut into the walls and don't want to vent out the window.  So i just open the bedroom window and temps range from 80-86 degrees in the cabinet.  Also, if you're worried about heat, adding a silica supplement (i think its called silica blast) to your nutrient solution will help your plants deal with warmer temps.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds