Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Building A New...
    #323809 - 11/30/09 05:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Growbox!

I managed to get a truckload of pallets, 2x4's, 2x8's and a shit load of 1/2"x4's as well.

It's about $100 worth of lumber and over the last few days i've been busy de-nailing the wood and deconstructing the pallets for usable lumber.

So my current LITTLE growbox is just not big enough.  The interior dimensions are only 18x20x30 inches...  It is definitely possible to complete my current grow in there (6 females scrogged).

I've got 200w of 2700-3000k CFL's in there (6 bulbs) and when my brother gets back from Mexico on Wednesday i'll be getting my 150w HPS to add to the CFL's.  350w is just unnecessary for that small space so I decided it was time for an upgrade.

So I need to hear some feedback from indoor growers on this scenario.

My new box which is almost completely framed in, has an interior dimension of 24"x24"x42" and will house the CFL's + HPS. 

Does that amount of light fit the standard requirements for that size space?  14ft3 I think it works out to, and 4ft2 of floorspace.  I've seen plenty of people have great grows with only a 250w HPS in a size comparable to mine.

I was expecting about 3oz's from 6 females in that box but with the new space I can pull off more training and whatnot, and seem to think I can pull at least 4 with the new room.  More rootspace is one of the main reasons for the upgrade, plus the vertical growth space.  I will now be able to veg in the old box (buy CFL's for it) and keep the new box on a flowering schedule and can put a couple clones in there every 2 weeks.

What do you guys think?  I don't have my camera for a few more days so you'll have to bare with descriptions for now, but i'll update with pictures as soon as possible.

:happyweed:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Building A New... [Re: Inverted]
    #323921 - 11/30/09 06:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Problems.

250watt of hps is gonna be a ton more light then the 200watt of junk bulbs and a 150watt hps. Get rid of the junk bulbs, get another 150 hps. Lower the wattage used by 50 and triple the light. :tongue:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Building A New... [Re: Magash]
    #323926 - 11/30/09 06:35 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well i'm only going to use them for the undergrowth, and yes I have been thinking about it and a 250 is going to be my choice, what's the point of getting a 150 when a 250 is only like 20 bucks more...

Thanks Magash, you should help guide me through this.  I'm overwhelmed going from being an exclusive OD grower to indoors...  It's so much easier just using sunlight!

Now that I have increased space do you still think I should scrog those 6 ladies or just LST or let em be... Whatever will give me the highest yield in the smallest space.  I'm positive i'll just go with the 250 now.  Although the CFL's are going to have to be used for at least the first 1.5-2 weeks of flowering.  At least it will arrive in time for the most important part of the cycle.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #323930 - 11/30/09 06:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Good idea on the 250 and using the cfls on the undergrowth. I'd scrog em cause if I remember right you had a indica going.

Quote:

Thanks Magash, you should help guide me through this.

I'll help anybody that wants the help that's why we're here. :happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#323945 - 11/30/09 06:54 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah it's supposedly Crystal from Nirvana, but it is growing like a pure Indica.  Fat fucking leaves, thick ass stems, and close internodal spacing combined with heavy branching already forming would tell me it's gonna be a stout plant.  Should be good for a small box grow?  I have one Haze x Crystal female in there, and it's already stretching more than the Crystal, and it's only day 3 of flowering.  Might have to top that one right before I apply the Scrog.

Do you have experience with Scrog?  I'm sure that's a stupid question ha

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #323951 - 11/30/09 06:57 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Just a little.

The haze cross if it takes after the haze is gonna stretch so start training it soon. Gonna blow past the crystal (killer strain by the way) and start blocking it out.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#323957 - 11/30/09 07:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks, i'll probably just tie the top down since that has worked great in the past.  Really initiates branching. 

I agree, this strain is killer.  It has a LOT of vigor, and seems pretty stable as almost all of the plants look identical, except for a select few that have dark purple stems.  As I recall, when Lucid grew them out this year, his best phenos had that lavender colored stems so I'm hoping these offspring are taking on those traits. 

The phenotypes with the purple stems created water-bottle sized colas on a medium sized plant outside.  That's the pheno i'm after, so I'll be cloning one of them and keeping that winner pheno.  It also was more dense than the rest so if my entire crop consisted of that pheno, I would yield the MOST, plus it was also the most desirable high.  Then seeds will be made, as I have already isolated 3 possible fathers.

Getting into breeding is blowing my mind.  So fucking awesome how you just throw out all the genes you dislike and make the plants danker and danker with each generation...  I envy you on a daily basis Mag!

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #323969 - 11/30/09 07:20 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I envy you on a daily basis Mag!

No reason to I just did it first. With all that is happening in growing now you have plenty of time to blow past anything I've done. :happyweed::thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#323979 - 11/30/09 07:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks!  I wouldn't say that, but you are right, with all the information out there so easily accessible, the betterment of the Cannabis plant is only going to exponentially increase as time goes on, and hopefully with the help of legalization, will be able to reach an entirely new level.

I'm just doing some simple work, but someday I hope to achieve the types of breakthroughs that you have.

:thumbup:

I'm so glad i'm able to communicate w/ you...  I'd much rather spend a day with you over any celebrity/famous person 100 out of 100 times.

I absorb everything you say.  :teacher:

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #323985 - 11/30/09 07:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the comments :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#323988 - 11/30/09 07:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

No problem, when people deserve them as much as you do it's really easy to throw them out!  :yesnod:

I just want to try smoking your bud someday... Maybe I'll go out to Cali sometime soon, my aunt lives there and i've never been to the major metro areas...

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#323998 - 11/30/09 07:43 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

My plan is to refine my genetics this winter so that I can go crazy next year outdoors, use profits from that harvest to pay off all of my debts w/ the state, and move my ass out to colorado so I can get my med card and grow legally...

Should be easy, just gonna take time...

--------------------

OfflineTheGateWayDrug420
Stranger

Loc: mile high, colorado
    #324525 - 12/01/09 01:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

cant wait for [pics dood, i cant decide wether i am going to build a grow box or not

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Building A New... [Re: TheGateWayDrug420]
    #324576 - 12/01/09 01:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well it's similar to this one, but larger and built of solid wood, no nig-rigging done here!

Worked perfectly, just need more space as I vegged my plants longer than expected... oh well, more yields!

It's basically the same exact design, just on a larger scale, and with better stronger materials.  Do IT!!!  It'll keep your mind busy dude!  Worked for me, I just stopped doing heroin a month ago today...

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #324883 - 12/01/09 08:29 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm going to be needing to build a veg chamber in the next couple of months, maybe sooner.  I was thinking about just using PVC as a frame and then using B/W Polyvinal type of thing.

This seems well constructed though, maybe I'll do it differently.

I'm glad you got off of the horse.  It's easy to get hooked to that shit.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #324897 - 12/01/09 08:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Sweet looking box.

Outdoors plants can get so big but rabbit, deer and thieves can be a problem.

Best of luck to you.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Building A New... [Re: KaptKid]
    #324966 - 12/02/09 12:57 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Built it like 9 years ago.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#325098 - 12/02/09 11:13 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:w0ahhhhmahnnn:

That's basically exactly what I want...

I'm going to use the box pictured above (20x19x30) as my veg chamber, as the plants that are in flower inside of it right now are going to be far too big to contain in that space.  The height is manageable but the footprint is just too small to fit the required size containers in there.

The new box (24x24x42) will be the flower chamber, and is about 75% done, and i'll finish it up before bed tonight and try to get pics up tomorrow.  It's gonna be a lot nicer being able to mount things to the walls, because the veg box is just a light wooden frame with cardboard as the walls and mounting is fairly limited.  I've got about 2 hours of woodworking left and 2 hours of paint, then mount the CFL's and then I order my HPS in the next couple days!  Thanks Magash for pushing me to buy a 250.  The only way I will get a 150 is if my brother isn't willing to dish out more $...  Even then it's still better than just 200w of CFL's I have right now; which will be used as supplemental, so hopefully my flower cab will have 120w of Flo lighting, and 250 HPS equaling 370...

I'll keep 70-80w of CFL's to keep in the veg chamber to start more seeds and/or clones (fingers crossed) so that I can put them in the flower chamber when the current plants are 3-4 weeks from harvest. 

Optimally I'll be pulling 1/4lb every 3-4 weeks.  Since I've been doing this for a long time and know how to get higher yields, do you think that's a fair estimate for the wattage/space or do you think I could pull more?  4oz's isn't even .5g/watt and i'm no amateur.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#325099 - 12/02/09 11:15 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

What wattage HPS was that and type of Flouro's?

About what type of average yields were you achieving with that setup?

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #325168 - 12/02/09 01:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You know me I like to overdo everything. The light is a 400watt but a 250 would have worked fine. Now the yield depended very much on the strain used.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck