Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

1st time grower. Seeds in cups..but have not broke surface yet??? advice?
    #320416 - 11/23/09 11:06 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and first grow. I am a little worried because my seeds have not broke the surface yet and sprouted. 

Here is my process so far (and maybe you can offer some advice or just tell me to be patient and wait longer.)

1. I started with soaking 5 hash plant seeds and 3 shitty bag seeds in water basically over night, like 6 hrs soaking, some longer.(until they sank to bottom)

2. I didn't wait to see a root tip in the water, I just waited until the seeds sank to the bottom then planted them in 16oz cups with Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil.  The cups have holes in bottom, the 8 cups were placed in a tray with dome covering it.  I have been keeping the temp in the tray around 75-80 degrees. And I have been misting the soil to keep them moist(distilled water).  The soil at the bottom near the holes has been consistently moist.

3.  After being kept dark and warm over night the next day (yesterday) I turned on 2 100watt CFLs because I expected them to break the surface and wanted the light on when that happened.  Then I read on here you don't need the light on until they do spout and break the surface and turning it on prematurely could slow germination?

In short, I put the seeds in moist soil on Nov21st at 1:00AM and it is now Nov 23rd, 1:00PM.  None have broke the surface yet. It hasn't been 48 hrs but in my nervousness I gently checked to see if any of the seeds have at least put out a root tip, and some have put out a small tip, some have not. Nothing has broke the surface.  I have been keeping them in the dark (except when I've checked in on them) since reading not to turn the lights on before they sprout. And also I noticed the soil level in the cups seem to be decreasing.  Some water has drained through the bottoms so maybe I'm losing some soil there. 

Am I being impatient? should I not put the dome on the tray until they spout? Have I been misting them too much?

Thank you everyone (sorry for the long post) I'll start a journal once they spout.

JRC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: 1st time grower. Seeds in cups..but have not broke surface yet??? advice? [Re: JRC]
    #320417 - 11/23/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Lol yeah you are being impatient. You should have probably let the root tip show in the water before you planted them. But in nature they do it how you did it. So you will be fine. Its just when you wait for the root tip you can plant them the right direction, and also you can make sure they are viable before you plant them. Dont uncover them anymore. They will come up. Just be patient. Welcome to the Weedery dude!

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 1st time grower. Seeds in cups..but have not broke surface yet??? advice? [Re: Triptonic]
    #320421 - 11/23/09 11:37 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

haha Okay. Thank you for the quick reply Triptonic and for the adivce for future seed germinating. 

One more question then:

If by the end of the week most have sprouted but maybe a couple haven't, is there anything I should/could do with the seeds that don't sprout to salvage them and possibly re-germinate or should I assume theyre duds/lost and move on?

Thank you,

JRC

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st time grower. Seeds in cups..but have not broke surface yet??? advice? [Re: JRC]
    #320549 - 11/23/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I germinate seeds in a very similar way.  18-24 hours in water then into rooting plugs (rapid rooters).  I also do not let the root show before planting.  You're doing fine, just have patience like trip said.
If a week passes and some don't develop a taproot, and you REALLY want to try to get them to germ, you can gently crack the hull of the seed at the pointier end with a pair of tweezers (like when you crack a sunflower seed).
Good luck!

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: 1st time grower. Seeds in cups..but have not broke surface yet??? advice? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #320553 - 11/23/09 03:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup: Yeah you dont have to let the taproot show.

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 1st time grower. Seeds in cups..but have not broke surface yet??? advice? [Re: Triptonic]
    #321182 - 11/24/09 05:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,

So some good news you were correct I needed to wait longer.

My situation now is that two of the eight cups have sprouted and broke the surface so I decided to turn the lights on. The others have not broke the surface yet, but all the eight cups are together in the tray.  Should I take out the cups that have not broke the surface yet and keep them in a dark place until they sprout and then return them with the other two, or can I just keep them together and assume they'll come out in the next few days?

Also I removed the dome from the tray because once I turned the lights on for the two who have sprouted, I couldn't keep the temp from going over 80.  It was getting up to 84 degrees.  and since I took it off its remained in the 75-80 range.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

peace

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #321188 - 11/24/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You don't need to take the cups that haven't sprouted away from the light.  Seeds germinate in nature where they have quite a bit of light shining, so they're really isn't a need for them to be in total darkness.  Also, since they are buried in soil, they are already in a dark place, even if the cup is under the light.

While it would be better for them to be in a humidity dome in the beginning, it's not necessary.  Just try to keep them misted.  Also, 84 isn't that horrible.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Edited by Hawksresurrection (11/24/09 06:30 PM)

OfflineJRC
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 1st time grower. Seeds in cups..but have not broke surface yet??? advice? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #321201 - 11/24/09 07:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

ok great thank you.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #321205 - 11/24/09 07:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

No, problem.  Stick around and keep us updated on how everything is going for you.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder