Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Initial Review: GH Biofiltre and BioMagix (aka subculture)
    #310434 - 11/05/09 05:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi there,

Well first let me start off by saying this site should have a review section for hydroponic equipment and nutrients. Mainly because, it can be very overwhelming with the number of brands and different selections available for a newbie, so it may be sometimes difficult to find "the right thing." Also, there's nothing better than a solid review, stating all the pros and cons and with pictures of the device in action. So anyway, perhaps members could evaluate their experiences with different products and brands and post them here for others to read.

General Hydroponics BioFiltre and BioMagix (aka Subculture)

It took a while to get it - 4 days and I ordered it from a local shop here in Berlin. Not only that but when it arrived one of the subculture stars was missing (it's suppose to come with 7, mine came with 6.) I cannot say I'm surprised, as the guy who runs the shop is clearly an abusive pot smoker.

In anycase, the first thing that surprised me was the size, and the seemingly flimsy quality of the product:

Perhaps flimsy is not the right word. It's constructed of hard molded plastic, but it's quite thin. When I picked it up, I right away felt as though if you were to drop it, it may crack. I suppose it's constructed to be lightweight, simply because it hangs off the side of your rez. I really expected this thing to be large and heavy - it weighs nothing!

Here's one thing I liked right away: If you look at the picture bellow on the right of the product fully assembled, you'll see the inflow tube; the inflow tube has an adjustable height, you just push it in or pull it out to accommodate your water level. In addition to this, it came with an extension to accommodate deep reservoirs like mine.

The input line has a valve for adjusting flow. Though I don't think it really does too much to affect the flow. :tongue: I'm quite impressed with the pump. It simply twists into where you currently see it, and it is in fact very water tight. The pump is an impeller design, however because of it's size it takes a few minutes before water starts flowing out of the device.

I have to say though, putting the thing together and setting it up took about less than 3 minutes. It's really that easy. Although it feels flimsy, once it's in action you realize it was constructed to be lightweight and just to get the job done.

In the pictures bellow, you see the in flow line on the right, the pump seems to create some sort of aerating effect as it makes the water "pops" and sparkle as if it were a soft drink. The water then passes through a thick mesh filter and then hits the subculture stars. The stars themselves apparently facilitate free oxygen, water and inert particle movement and this apparently keeps the system clean. The stars are also apparently self cleaning, and only need to be rinsed "once in a while" and replaced once every 6 months. The stars also provide the environment for the micro-organisms contained in subculture. Finally, after passing through the stars the water runs through a cascade that further aerates the water and then pours back into your system. If anything, this thing aerates the shit out of your water.

Overall, I think it's a nicely constructed system and I think it will benefit my system. It does seem little bit flimsy (although this may simply be intentional in the construction to reduce weight) but it functions very well so I can't complain too much. I can't comment on subculture too much, because I just got this thing running today. However, I'll update this in a month and see to see if I've noticed a difference in the quality and appearance of the roots.

The only thing that I really did not like about the system was this: To support the system on the side of the tank, you have to clip on this small piece of PVC tubing. I found that kind of tacky.

So in conclusion. It's a nice and small, seems to function well. However, I'm not sure it was worth the 70 euros (90 something USD) I payed for it. So although, it's very functional and promises a lot, I'm not sure it's a very price worthy thing to buy.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Initial Review: GH Biofiltre and BioMagix (aka subculture) [Re: TomCollins]
    #313506 - 11/10/09 04:27 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Cool, I'm interested in this. Keep us updated on how it works. I like the idea of a review forum also. :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Initial Review: GH Biofiltre and BioMagix (aka subculture) [Re: Magash]
    #316030 - 11/15/09 05:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ok,

So here's an update on the biofiltre, and how well it works. This is also the subculture review.

I can only say this: I am 100% satisfied with this product. In fact, I'm flat out impressed. My reservoir as well as my flood chamber use to always have this sort of fishy smell - it was pungent and unpleasant. Within a day, the odor completely disappeared. In fact, there is no odor at all. There is no smell. The reservoir has a faint smell of AN Big Bud and I guess water. The flood chamber has 0 odor. This is the first thing that blew me away. Liquid that smelt so raunchy before, now smelt pretty much like tap water - in a day.

Also, before the biofiltre, I use to always have some little particles floating around in the water. Minor dust from the perl/verm mix, occasionally a small root that I guess broke off. It was always quite a bit murky. Now, nothing. The solution is very clear in comparison to what it was before, and there is nothing floating around in the solution - except for tons of air bubbles. I can see through the reservoir and out of the other side. Prior to installation, I only saw this kind of clarity right after I cleaned and refilled the tank.

That's my hand on the other side of the tank, photoed through the water. I wish I had a better camera, it's way more clear when I look at it than on camera. But you get the idea...

You can see that it really aerates the shit out of your water. I really like the fact that it draws water from the bottom of the tank, then it comes back out on top. I really feel like the water gets a solid circulation and therefore, stays really clean:

Earlier I mentioned I didn't think the water flow valve did much. I discovered that this filter piece I had stuck on the end of the blue tube, wasn't meant to be stuck there. I'm not really sure what it's for. I guess it's for if you have big shit floating around in your water lol. In any case, I removed it and noticed a huge increase in water flow and of course the valve started effecting the flow as a result!

I keep it on low actually, because as you can see the water kinda tends to flow over the filter screen a little bit if it's totally open.

Anyway, it's a sweet machine!

BioMagix (aka Subculture)

I have to say it's a bit hard to tell at first if this stuff is works - because there's nothing to see really. However, recently I removed two of my plants from the grower due to the fact that they were male. In the process, I took pictures of the roots to see how the plants were benefitting from it.

So these pictures are of two different plants, and their roots. Inside the cup and out. As you can very clearly see, most of the rooting is a beautiful and pearly white. There was some very VERY mild brown on some areas which I think were some of the older roots. However, my roots looked exactly like, if not better than, the pictures portrayed on GH's website: http://www.eurohydro.com/images/products/control/bmx_racines.jpg

Also, although I have not run the biofiltre without using subculture, I think it plays a HUGE role in cleaning the water and giving the plants a much stronger immune system.

On a side note, the plants are DEFINITELY growing much more rapidly now than ever before and I've also had less trouble with spider mites. :shrug:

Overall, I'm very happy. The product did exactly what GH promised it would do and QUICKLY.

So, conclusion after 9 days of use: Still a bit pricey, but honestly for the amount of things that it does (filter, aerate, circulate, housing of beneficial bacteria and fungus) not to mention ease of setup and a 3 year guarantee on the pump (which runs 24/7.) In my book, it's worth the coin - especially since in hydroponics, there are multiple ways of keeping your water clean, it's just nice that an all in one package exists for dum-dums like me. It does everything it seems to keep your water clean and plants healthy.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (11/15/09 07:23 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Initial Review: GH Biofiltre and BioMagix (aka subculture) [Re: TomCollins]
    #316112 - 11/15/09 07:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

Cool. Myself I've always been happey with their products. :happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Initial Review: GH Biofiltre and BioMagix (aka subculture) [Re: Magash]
    #316116 - 11/15/09 07:12 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I really had some heavy doubts when I opened the box I gotta say - but nope, this thing kicks some serious fucking ass.

P.S. Pic update!

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (11/15/09 07:21 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Initial Review: GH Biofiltre and BioMagix (aka subculture) (moved) [Re: TomCollins]
    #331616 - 12/15/09 02:49 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This thread was moved from Hydroponic & Agroponics.

Reason:
Moved it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck