Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineganja_fan
Stranger
How many leaflets is a marijuana leaf supposed to have?
    #311551 - 11/06/09 10:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've seen pictures of 5-leaflet leaves and 7-leaflet leaves.  How is this possible within one species?  Which one is normal?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKine

Re: How many leaflets is a marijuana leaf supposed to have? [Re: ganja_fan]
    #311554 - 11/06/09 10:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Just to throw a wrench into it... how about a 3 leaf.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How many leaflets is a marijuana leaf supposed to have? [Re: Kine]
    #311614 - 11/07/09 12:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You can have anywhere from 5 to 9 leaves, at least that's the most I've seen on a plant.  Indicas tend to have 5-7 range, Sativas tend to have more.

If your plant is sickly/stressed you can even have 1 leafed leaves.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How many leaflets is a marijuana leaf supposed to have? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #311646 - 11/07/09 06:46 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
You can have anywhere from 5 to 9 leaves, at least that's the most I've seen on a plant.  Indicas tend to have 5-7 range, Sativas tend to have more.

Yep. Vegetative material is one possible indicator of plant health, additionally it is dependent on genetic variables.

In terms of how this can occur within one species, think of humans: brown hair, blonde hair, tall, short...how can this happen? Good old genetic diversity.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: How many leaflets is a marijuana leaf supposed to have? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #311651 - 11/07/09 07:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You can have 1 leaf up to 11 leaves.  The first leaf a plant grows from seed is often 1 leaf, followed by 3, then 5 and so on.  5-7 is most common.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How many leaflets is a marijuana leaf supposed to have? [Re: Azyle00]
    #311652 - 11/07/09 07:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:lol: post whore.
I think he gets the picture. :grin:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlineganja_fan
Stranger
    #311802 - 11/07/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Yep. Vegetative material is one possible indicator of plant health, additionally it is dependent on genetic variables.

In terms of how this can occur within one species, think of humans: brown hair, blonde hair, tall, short...how can this happen? Good old genetic diversity.

I was thinking more along the lines of leaflets being the equivalent of fingers or toes.  Different numbers of fingers/toes don't occur within one species anywhere in the animal kingdom as far as I know (except for mutations).  There is a new breed of dog that has six toes on all its feet.  But this was only achieved through unnatural selection (breeding).

Anyway, I know plants are much different from animals, so I guess that was a bad comparison.  lol

Offlineganja_fan
Stranger
    #311805 - 11/07/09 01:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:
You can have 1 leaf up to 11 leaves.  The first leaf a plant grows from seed is often 1 leaf, followed by 3, then 5 and so on.  5-7 is most common.

Thank you.  This was very helpful for my understanding of this variation that was confusing me.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #311879 - 11/07/09 03:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ganja_fan said:
Quote:

81renaissance said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

I was thinking more along the lines of leaflets being the equivalent of fingers or toes.  Different numbers of fingers/toes don't occur within one species anywhere in the animal kingdom as far as I know (except for mutations).  There is a new breed of dog that has six toes on all its feet.  But this was only achieved through unnatural selection (breeding).

Anyway, I know plants are much different from animals, so I guess that was a bad comparison.  lol

Why would there be a need or desire for a dog to have 6 toes?  Ren was using hair as an example of genetic differences in humans, not making that kind of comparison you've drawn.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: How many leaflets is a marijuana leaf supposed to have? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #311883 - 11/07/09 03:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

1 to 11. haha now who's the post whore?

Offlineganja_fan
Stranger
Re: How many leaflets is a marijuana leaf supposed to have? [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #311907 - 11/07/09 04:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
Quote:

ganja_fan said:
Quote:

81renaissance said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Why would there be a need or desire for a dog to have 6 toes?  Ren was using hair as an example of genetic differences in humans, not making that kind of comparison you've drawn.

I have no idea.  Ask the people who bred it.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  I know what genetic diversity is...the reason I was confused about the varying number of leaflets in marijuana leaves is because I thought it would be the equivalent of different members of an animal species having 5, 4, 6, 7, etc. toes per foot, and that doesn't really occur in nature except for random mutations that don't get passed on through generations.

I think the different hair color example would be better for explaining why marijuana can be different colors such as light green, dark green, and purple.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #312065 - 11/07/09 10:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Regardless of how you understood what I said the fact remains that you're overanalyzing.
I was trying to keep it simple, but n/m...I'm saying what everyone else here is saying which is there is no standard for how many leaflets are on a plant.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

OfflineAKSE

#312118 - 11/07/09 11:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:

Let me be the first to say that 13 bladed leafs are very possible.:yesnod:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: How many leaflets is a marijuana leaf supposed to have? [Re: AKSE]
    #312124 - 11/07/09 11:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

/thread close.

Offlineganja_fan
Stranger
    #312189 - 11/08/09 08:21 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Regardless of how you understood what I said the fact remains that you're overanalyzing.
I was trying to keep it simple, but n/m...I'm saying what everyone else here is saying which is there is no standard for how many leaflets are on a plant.

I don't think that's a fact...just your opinion...but it is a fact that your first answer was pretty condescending...as is this one.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #312216 - 11/08/09 09:59 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

Don't think that was condescending at all...just making an analogous comparison to try to help.

Triptonic is right, this thread has run its course.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #312217 - 11/08/09 10:00 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Question answered, no need for further drama.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies