Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Minnesota court rules bong water an illegal drug. [Re: Stoneth]
    #304696 - 10/27/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: Minnesota court rules bong water an illegal drug. [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #304743 - 10/27/09 03:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Minnesota court rules bong water an illegal drug. [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #304762 - 10/27/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offlinespacemonkey69
Trusted Vaporizer

Loc: Flag
Re: Minnesota court rules bong water an illegal drug. [Re: bobby]
    #304881 - 10/27/09 07:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bobby said:
yeaaaa that's pretty stupid! Does bong water even get u high?lol. Bong water smells HORRID! good i hate spilling that shit on my carpet. gotta use a shat load of baking soda to get the smell out. And i've never heard of anyone smoking meth otta a bong but then again the only thing i smoke and know bout is herb.

No, THC is a non-polar molecule. And since Water is polar.

--------------------
[quote]
“You see this glass bong?” asks Achaan Chaa, the Thai meditation master. “For me this glass is already broken. I enjoy it; I smoke out of it. It holds my water admirably, sometimes even reflecting the sun in beautiful patterns. If I should tap it, it has a lovely ring to it. But when I put this glass bong on the shelf and the wind knocks it over or my elbow brushes it off the table and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, ‘Of course.’ When I understand that the glass is already broken, every moment with it is precious.”[/quote]

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Minnesota court rules bong water an illegal drug. [Re: spacemonkey69]
    #305579 - 10/28/09 03:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You guys see the latest shroomery news headline ?

She got 7 years for it :eek:

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Minnesota court rules bong water an illegal drug. [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #305584 - 10/28/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

http://reason.com/blog/2009/10/28/seven-years-for-bong-water

Seven Years for Bong Water
Jacob Sullum | October 28, 2009

Last week the Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that bong water is an illegal drug. Under state law, a controlled substance includes any "mixture" containing that substance, "regardless of purity." The consequences of reading that definition literally can be severe. In the case before the court, a woman whose bong contained 37 grams of water with traces of methamphetamine will now be treated as if she possessed 37 grams of speed, which converts possession of drug paraphernalia, a petty misdemeanor punishable by a $300 fine, into a a first-degree drug offense, punishable by seven or more years in prison. Three dissenting justices wrote that the majority's interpretation of the statute "misapplies the plain-meaning rule...runs counter to the legislative structure of our drug laws, does not make common sense, and borders on the absurd."

This sort of absurdity has a long pedigree. Back in 1993, I wrote a piece for Reason in which I highlighted the ridiculously unjust results of including the "carrier medium" for LSD (typically blotter paper) in calculating the drug's weight for sentencing purposes:

Under federal sentencing guidelines, selling 100 doses of LSD in pure form triggers a minimum sentence of less than a year, but selling the same amount on paper will get you a sentence of at least two years, three months. And if you were old-fashioned enough to drop your acid onto sugar cubes, you will end up behind bars for no less than 15 years, eight months.

Like the Minnesota ruling, this interpretation of the law elicited amazed dissents. "All this seems crazy," the 7th Circuit's Richard Posner wrote in 1990. "To base punishment on the weight of the carrier medium makes about as much sense as basing punishment on the weight of the defendant." The arbitrary, incomplete fix that the U.S. Sentencing Commission devised for that problem?counting each dose in a carrier medium as 0.4 milligram to avoid "unwarranted disparity among offenses involving the same quantity of actual LSD"?is still in force, to judge by this 2006 sentencing manual (PDF). Many states also include "mixtures" in their definitions of illegal drugs; the earliest example I found was New York in 1969.

Rereading that 1993 article, I was also struck by the discussion of the disparity in sentences between crack and cocaine powder:

Julie Stewart, president of Families Against Mandatory Minimums, says the Sentencing Commission's proposed LSD amendment will probably take the pressure off Congress. Especially if the change is retroactive, the families of LSD defendants will be less noisy, and judges will find the sentences they're forced to impose less disturbing.

Stewart is more optimistic about the possibility of a legislative solution for crack offenders. Federal law treats crack cocaine as if it were 100 times worse than the powdered form of the drug, cocaine hydrochloride. Thus 500 grams of crack triggers the same penalty as 50 kilograms of cocaine hydrochloride. A first-time offender with 20 grams of cocaine hydrochloride faces a minimum sentence of 10 months, while a first-time offender with 20 grams of crack faces a minimum of six years, six months.

As I noted a couple weeks ago, it looks like the remedy that Stewart was optimistic about 16 years ago is finally coming to pass.

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #305588 - 10/28/09 03:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:nonono:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#305881 - 10/28/09 11:20 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So why exactly did this girl have meth in her bongwater?

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflinePFA
the guy with the thing
Male User Gallery

Loc: this is...Magyarorszag!!!
Re: Minnesota court rules bong water an illegal drug. [Re: Inverted]
    #306056 - 10/29/09 06:35 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
"apparently u cant do shit"

OfflinePFA
the guy with the thing
Male User Gallery

Loc: this is...Magyarorszag!!!
Re: Minnesota court rules bong water an illegal drug. [Re: PFA]
    #306058 - 10/29/09 06:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

we used to have this guy that would ONLY sell weed with speed on it... i asked him once: "PLEASE pinch me off an O before you dust that shyt" he refused...i told him i would pay him at usual price for .7s- STILL refused...i guess he really wants everyone to enjoi his speed. shame it was better w/o the speed...

so maybe she had dusted herb
or maybe she smokes meth

:meff:

--------------------
"apparently u cant do shit"

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Minnesota court rules bong water an illegal drug. [Re: Magash]
    #306098 - 10/29/09 09:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
So why exactly did this girl have meth in her bongwater?

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #421406 - 05/20/10 10:42 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Pawlenty vetoes bong water rule
May 19, 2010 -twincities.com

Despite near-unanimous support, Gov. Tim Pawlenty has vetoed a bill preventing prosecutors from using bong water to calculate the weight of controlled substances in drug prosecutions — and a lawmaker who helped pass the legislation accused the governor of doing so for political reasons.

The bill was the result of a 4-3 Minnesota Supreme Court decision last year that allowed Rice County prosecutors to charge Sara Ruth Peck, 47, of Faribault, with first-degree drug possession — a charge often reserved for drug dealers — after the water in a glass pipe tested positive for traces of methamphetamine.

But dissenting Justice Paul Anderson said the result "borders on the absurd," and much of the Legislature agreed. The final version of the bill passed the Senate 66-0 and the House 129-2. Even police and prosecutors dropped their opposition after the bill was narrowed to include only bongs holding less than four ounces of water.

"I think it showed the Legislature working at its best to find a compromise," said House sponsor Rep. Phyllis Kahn, DFL-Minneapolis, who was "shocked and amazed" by the veto. "I bet this issue was unique in the country in terms of the decision to include the water."

In his veto letter, Pawlenty said the bill "waters down" criminal statutes.

"Governor Pawlenty vetoed this bill because it was unclear and could've created a loophole," spokesman Brian McClung said. "A better approach is not to exempt the water, but to count the drug content within the water."

Rice County Attorney Paul Beaumaster essentially decided to treat the bong water as a drug rather than drug paraphernalia. The Supreme Court's majority ruled that the court must follow the plain meaning of the drug laws, which contemplate drug mixtures without regard to purity.

Anderson objected.

"Rice County's decision to charge Peck in a manner far more serious than what was intended by the Legislature represents the kind of counterproductive activity that leads unnecessarily to increasing incarceration rates and wasted taxpayer money," he wrote.

After the Supreme Court's decision and resulting outcry, Peck pleaded to a lesser charge and was sentenced to five years of probation.

Kahn pointed out that one of the two people to vote against the bill was Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer, the party's presumptive nominee. She suggested the governor's veto had more to do with campaign politics than criminal policy.

"The only reason I could think of for the governor to veto it is to give cover to Emmer," Kahn said.

McClung said who votes for or against bills is not a factor in whether Pawlenty vetoes them.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12600429

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #421416 - 05/20/10 10:46 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yay mother fuckers that was absurd.

I walk with 4 oz's of homegrown confiscated but they tried to pass a law criminalizing bong water?  WTF I'm glad Pawlenty is gonna be gone soon.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds