Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Bongs ? Your Opinions.
    #285762 - 09/24/09 01:58 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ive noticed that all over the internet people seem to think bongs are one of the most unhealthy ways to smoke, the attitude of many people on different sites seems to be... Bongs dont filter the smoke, they just cool it off so you can take bigger hits.

How can someone see bubbles of smoke going through a bong, see the water turn a darker color and still say the water serves no purpose ?

Heres a post I made that nobody has responded to yet but im just curious to see what peoples opinions are over here on the growery.

"the water does filter the smoke, what its filtering out, I dont know

BUT, you cant say that water in bongs dosent filter out smoke

On my bong, I have...

An ashcatcher, mainly so I dont have to clean out my bong but it catches all of the actual "ashes"

then it hits the diffy in the bottom of the bong and not one ash is in the water but after a few hits the water will turn yellow after more smoking it will be dark yellow almost brown

then above that is the perc, the water up here turns a lighter shade of yellow that the water below it but still, the water is filtering something

And resin buildup on a dry pipe compared to a wet pipe dosent work because dry pipes arent full of water to constantly be cleaning itself off

My bong gets resin stains right above the water level in each chamber

so im  positive that bongs do more than just cool down the smoke, im just not sure exactly what more they do, someone should do an analysis of bong water and find out"

Its simple, the water is a barrier that the smoke has to pass through, to pass through it just floats up. as its floating up any particles that are no longer in the vapor state due to the smoke cooling will turn back into a liquid or solid or whatever and become trapped in the water because it wont float up to the top with the rest of the smoke

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemeatcakeman
You Have Heard of the Yetti
Male

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #285765 - 09/24/09 02:05 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Bongs filter out ash.

And in doing so, it condenses the volume of each hit causing an increase in density of the smoke per each inhalation.

Thus, it is terrible for your lungs.

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: meatcakeman]
    #285766 - 09/24/09 02:07 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

bongs filter out more than ash, use a bong with multiple chambers and you will see for yourself :smile:

And how does filtering out ash condense the volume of each hit ?

or do you mean as the smoke cools it condenses, if so thats not that big of a deal, its like saying people that smoke in cold areas are less healthy than people who smoke it warm climates ( which could be true im just using it as an example )

--------------------
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #285770 - 09/24/09 02:12 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

meatcakeman said:
Bongs filter out ash.

And in doing so, it condenses the volume of each hit

:rofl2:

can you explain that.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: still beLIEve]
    #285771 - 09/24/09 02:14 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I see three statements with no supporting facts between them, I sort of see where he is coming from but I dont agree

The only point I will agree on in the anti bong argument is that yeah, people take bigger hits out of bongs

thats what their for, it dosent matter if you smoke a gram all at once through a bonghit or in 15 hits in a bowl, its all the same stuff getting into you, except likely there is less of it getting into you if you use a bong or other waterpipe (or non water pipe with some sort of filtration)

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: still beLIEve]
    #285804 - 09/24/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

still beLIEve said:
Quote:

meatcakeman said:
Bongs filter out ash.

And in doing so, it condenses the volume of each hit

:rofl2:

can you explain that.

When you smoke out of a bong, the water filtrates the smoke to the point where it condenses into one holistic hit. It's like you're smoking more smoke per amount of THC.

It's like taking 4 or 5 hits as one hit; THC-wise.

It's terrible for your lungs.

EDIT: READ THIS

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

Edited by meatcakeman (09/24/09 03:15 PM)

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285814 - 09/24/09 03:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Its funny you posted that because I was just reading the same article

Why would taking 4 or 5 hits worth of THC in one lung full be any worse than taking it in 4 or 5 hits ?

Just gets you high faster

and I really dont know about this studies credibility

they used shitty weed (2.3% average THC content)

They used weird ass pipes, I saw the pictures from this study a while ago, Not one real enthusiast glass on glass bong with proper diffusers and several chambers.

Also they said some of the THC is absorbed into the water, THC is an oil and is not soluble in water, if there was an even semi significant amount of THC in the water it would float to the top and you would have a thin film of THC on your water (which I havent noticed before except when cleaning with 70% iso, then you can see the resin that you clean off your pipe break down in the alcohol and seperate from the water.

I agree with you that you are taking in much more at once through a bong but I dont believe that is a significant factor, if anything one big hit should be healthier than 5 little hits no matter what you smoke through/

BUT one of the things about bongs that I really like about bongs is that the smoke is evenly distributed in the chamber before it enters your lungs, thats not directly related to the water but the water helps as the bubbling helps spread it out and mix it up

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male

#285817 - 09/24/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

NobodyImportant said:
Its funny you posted that because I was just reading the same article

Why would taking 4 or 5 hits worth of THC in one lung full be any worse than taking it in 4 or 5 hits ?

Just gets you high faster

and I really dont know about this studies credibility

they used shitty weed (2.3% average THC content)

They used weird ass pipes, I saw the pictures from this study a while ago, Not one real enthusiast glass on glass bong with proper diffusers and several chambers.

Also they said some of the THC is absorbed into the water, THC is an oil and is not soluble in water, if there was an even semi significant amount of THC in the water it would float to the top and you would have a thin film of THC on your water (which I havent noticed before except when cleaning with 70% iso, then you can see the resin that you clean off your pipe break down in the alcohol and seperate from the water.

I agree with you that you are taking in much more at once through a bong but I dont believe that is a significant factor, if anything one big hit should be healthier than 5 little hits no matter what you smoke through/

BUT one of the things about bongs that I really like about bongs is that the smoke is evenly distributed in the chamber before it enters your lungs, thats not directly related to the water but the water helps as the bubbling helps spread it out and mix it up

Why are you trying to argue this?

The author of that article is highly regarded.
Google his name. He has done a numerous amount of studies concerning medicinal cannabis and its use. I am 100% confident in the article's validity.

Quote:

:wtf:

You're taking 4 or 5 hits worth of SMOKE per unit of THC. So you're still taking in as much THC as you would with one hit, but you're also inhaling 4 or 5 hits-worth of smoke and, subsequently, tar; this is for each bong toke.

That's terrible for your lungs.

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285821 - 09/24/09 03:34 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

so your saying that one hit of a bong with .5g of nug somehow makes 5x more smoke and tar but the same amount of THC as hitting .5g through a bowl ???

And thanks for contributing to my bong thread, I care about everybodys opinion and I am pondering your theories right now :mushroom2:

I was gonna leave that as a comment and rate you 5 but I guess I rated you already

--------------------

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285824 - 09/24/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

and im not trying to say that the study is complete BS, I just believe they got too shitty of weed, used weird pipes, and that when studying an illegal drug is difficult to do in todays society

In particular the water pipes they used would have been the equivalent of me putting a bic pen in the side of a 2 liter coke bottle, no proper diffusion technology

a good bong can probably filter the water 10x better than a single downstem bubbling straight up

See this pic, each of those downstems filters the smoke differently and each produces a different hit

--------------------

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285825 - 09/24/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Anyway im out for the night :smile:

Going to see Gojira

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male

#285829 - 09/24/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

NobodyImportant said:
so your saying that one hit of a bong with .5g of nug somehow makes 5x more smoke and tar but the same amount of THC as hitting .5g through a bowl ???

And thanks for contributing to my bong thread, I care about everybodys opinion and I am pondering your theories right now :mushroom2:

I was gonna leave that as a comment and rate you 5 but I guess I rated you already

It doesn't matter the total mass of cannabis being smoked. The percentage of THC stays the same throughout the nug. But through a filtered apparatus, such as the bong, you condense the smoke in the total volume of each bong toke to the point where it's density is much like a cloud rather than a smoky breath.

I don't know. I feel like I'm explaining this really badly. I'm really fucking ripped off this Jack Herer right now.

I'm gone.

:flyhigh:

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285831 - 09/24/09 03:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

we shall continue this convo another time sir, in the mean time anyone is welcome to share their thoughts on the matter

and I just wanted to post this cool pic :smile:

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
    #285837 - 09/24/09 03:57 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting arguement you guys got going on here!

But i have noticed IME, That most people have the belief that bongs get you higher cause you get more smoke. Well i have done several personal experiments between smoking a bong and smoking out of a glass pipe. I can take 2 equal amounts of herb, pack one in my bong and the other in my small glass pipe. I can smoke the bong load and get 2-3 hits off that load. I can then smoke the glass pipe and get 6-8 good hits. Now the bong load gets me high, but the bowl load got me ripped! (Both done at separate times of sobriety)I think, again from personal experience, that how high you get really depends on your lungs and how much smoke you can draw in and how much of that smoke your lung can absorb before you exhale. My personal opinion is that i would rather smoke out of my little class pipe for 2 reason, 1 i get higher and more hits and 2 my bag of herb last alot longer burning it through the pipe. As far as the water goes, i have no real clue if it filters anything? But i would say that the water does collect some of the smoke and maybe some of the thc. That resin just above the water line in your bong i believe to be the thc that collects on the top of the water.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #285845 - 09/24/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

QFT.

:shuffle:

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineKine

#285846 - 09/24/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Water filters smoke.  Water and ice Cool smoke.  Smoke that becomes cool becomes dense.  Dense = more smoke per sq in; not higher concentration.  1g smoked threw a bong; is 1g smoked.  It just was colder; less rips; and less tar material.  1g smoked threw a piece; is still just 1g smoked.  It was harsh; took more effort and time; but i probably got higher longer; because it took me 30 min to smoke a bowl (i enjoy it) vs 5 min to take 2 rips off a bong)  But when im high off a bong i feel its a clearer high.  Pipes get me stuck feelin.

I dont understand why taking in 1g worth of smoke in one hit; is any worse then 5 hits.  Is it going to put more strain on your lungs?  Sure... how much? Not much; you'll cough and it'll be gone quick.  Thats why you cough; your body says ENOUGH.  I can ghost a pipe hit; but thats just putting all the tar that wasnt filtered out by the bong in my lungs... YUMMY!!!

Another thing is somewhere i was reading about smoking in colder climates is like a bong.  I agree.  Mile high (ok, higher up then that even), and yesterday was a warm 40 degrees!  That only helps me in my smoking.  If anything im healthier then someone smoking at sea level, in 80 degree weather.  why?  Density again!  Its like with beer... same effect applys... i pwn bongs at sea level.  People come here... cant hit shit...

im rambiling now...

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: Kine]
    #285848 - 09/24/09 04:30 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Who cares?  On some level smoking weed is bad for you, but if you are going to smoke it it is going to fuck up your lungs a little bit.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: SmOakland]
    #285852 - 09/24/09 04:42 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Look at your pipes! All that resin in the pipe is probly what the inside of your lungs look like! I smoke heavily and my lungs get a little congested smoking this highly potent stuff. I quit for a few days and my lungs clear some. But seriously look at that pipe you smoke out of, the resin collected in that stem also collects in your lungs! Your body is able to somewhat clean itself and you hock up big brown lung oysters.

The inhalation of cannabis smoke has been one of the major downfalls to making it a medicinal drug. Which is why so many people have been working on cleaner ways to ingest this medicine. BHO, ISO, Bubble hashes, budder, etc. have become more and more popular in the cannabis culture because of this downfall.

--------------------

Edited by SpaceMonkey (09/24/09 04:43 PM)

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male

#285854 - 09/24/09 05:00 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

:volcano:

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #285877 - 09/24/09 06:55 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I don't even know where to begin.  Frankly, there shouldn't even be debate about this.  I am sure this science is out there somewhere.  It's just a matter of someone finding it and posting it.  I would love to see the results of the experiments.  I think the main testable issue is what the water collects as the smoke is passed through it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it filtered out some chemicals.  I also wouldn't be surprised if it did nothing but cool the smoke and deposit a small amount of byproduct.  The smoke passes through your pipe and it turns it all nasty colors too.  Why wouldn't the same be true for the water that the nasty, dense smoke travels through.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

#285879 - 09/24/09 07:29 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

They say one of the main reasons that using a bong is worse is that the amount if filters doesn't make up for the much longer time you can hold in the hit from a bong which is also larger then hits you can take other ways.

I don't know if many know this but since ya mention medical cannabis just so people know if ya get caught with bubble hash your cool. ISO hash is not covered under prop 215 and isn't covered under medical guidelines cause of the butane use to make it. Many clubs don't know this and stock it.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #285882 - 09/24/09 07:40 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

LOL, The debate was kinda interesting watching them argue the point. I am pretty sure the debate was cleared up long ago in one of the cannabis magazines. I was more wanting to debate whether or not you get higher from the water bong or from a smaller pipe:lol:

At any rate, Here is a study done by a reputable source http://www.maps.org/mmj/vaporizer.html

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

#285884 - 09/24/09 07:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

And here is another study on effects of water filtration on marijuana.....  http://www.ukcia.org/research/EffectsOfWaterFiltrationOnMarijuanaSmoke.html

--------------------

Edited by SpaceMonkey (09/24/09 07:47 PM)

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#285885 - 09/24/09 07:56 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Care to summarize the conclusions?

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

#285888 - 09/24/09 08:01 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The rationale behind the use of a bong is the claim that the cooling effect of the water helps to reduce the chance of burning the mouth, airways, and lungs, thus many claim that using a bong to smoke is safer. The water can trap some heavier particles and water-soluble molecules, preventing them from entering the smoker's airways.[6] Thus the mechanics of a bong function similarly to those of a laboratory gas washing bottle. This "filtration" can lead to the belief that bongs are less damaging than other smoking methods.

However, a 2000 NORML-MAPS study found that "water pipes filter out more psychoactive THC than they do other tars, thereby requiring users to smoke more to reach their desired effect".[7] In the study, smoke from cannabis supplied by the NIDA was drawn through a number of smoking devices and analyzed. An inhalation machine, adjusted to mimic the puff length of cannabis smokers, drew smoke through a standard bong, a small portable bong with a folding stem, a bong with a motorized paddle that thoroughly mixes the smoke with the water, and two different types of vaporizers. Comparisons to traditional non-filtered smoking methods were not included in these experiments.

MAPS[8] also reviewed a study that examined the effects and composition of water-filtered and non-filtered cannabis and tobacco smoke. It found that when alveolar macrophages were exposed to unfiltered smoke, their ability to fight bacteria was reduced, unlike exposure to water-filtered smoke. It also found substantial epidemiological evidence of a lower incidence of carcinoma among tobacco smokers who used water-pipes, as opposed to cigarettes, cigars, and regular pipes. "It appears that water filtration can be effective in removing components from cannabis smoke that are known toxicants... The effectiveness of toxicant removal is related to the smoke's water contact area.

Specially designed water pipes, incorporating particulate filters and gas-dispersion frits, would likely be most effective in this regard; the gas-dispersion frit serves to break up the smoke into very fine bubbles, thereby increasing its water-contact area."[8] This study suggests that a bong's smoke is less harmful than unfiltered smoke.

This was an exert taken from wikipedia which was the summery for the 2 links i posted to the study sites and a few others i did not post.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#285894 - 09/24/09 08:10 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ha!  I'm not surprised.  Thanks for your work on that!

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

#285900 - 09/24/09 08:32 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

There is alot of good information on the first link MAPS.  http://www.maps.org/mmj/vaporizer.html Several study reports on the subject with references to other studies.

I am pretty sure HT had a write up on this subject back in the 80's that that said pretty much the same thing other then they believed THC would not be collected in the water because of the water solubility issue.

And your welcome for the research! What are mods for? :shrug:

:lol:

--------------------

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285965 - 09/24/09 10:38 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

but THC isnt at all water soluble, its an oil isnt it ?

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

#285974 - 09/24/09 10:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Well, i am not sure, but i assume even at that, the bubbling and water contact could still pull some of the oils. It or they may not dissolve in the water but still be slightly extracted from friction of the water and the THC molecule? :shrug:

--------------------

OfflinePetergriffin467
    #286188 - 09/25/09 01:26 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

NobodyImportant said:
and im not trying to say that the study is complete BS, I just believe they got too shitty of weed, used weird pipes, and that when studying an illegal drug is difficult to do in todays society

In particular the water pipes they used would have been the equivalent of me putting a bic pen in the side of a 2 liter coke bottle, no proper diffusion technology

a good bong can probably filter the water 10x better than a single downstem bubbling straight up

See this pic, each of those downstems filters the smoke differently and each produces a different hit

Why the fuck do all these over priced bongs have a joint angled to the point where you can't see the weed in the slider?  I fucking hate that, it ends up making you use your lighter way more because you can't see it getting lit  as opposed to being able to look down at the weed and light it while holding the lighter above the it.  Cool bong but that joint angle would be a deal breaker for me.

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: Petergriffin467]
    #286264 - 09/25/09 03:18 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

P-griff- if that is a big deal you could buy a slider that is angled.  Can't find a good pic but something like this http://img232.imageshack.us/i/dscf2919mv0.jpg/#q=bong%20slide%20bent

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: SmOakland]
    #286274 - 09/25/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I mean that specific one pictured has a clear slide so you can see the herb anyway

--------------------

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#286719 - 09/26/09 01:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

this thread is full of misinformation. first you guys are making too many assumptions. i don't feel like arguing though so i'll tell my personal view.

anyways, in my personal experience, i love bongs. quick, easy, and i personally get the highest. i also have read filtering smoke through water removes a damaging part of the smoke (the wiki quote above explains it a little). so what if it filters out a little THC? totally worth it to me. i usually do snappers so i don't lose any smoke to the outside air, it all goes in the tube and into my lungs. this means i get more out of my weed i think because i'm not scared of getting scoobies, or ash in my mouth. my lungs definitely feel healthier if i smoke out of a water piece. maybe it's in my head but it works for me.

anyways, bongs are my favorite, but i also enjoy the many other methods of smoking. blunts are probably my 2nd favorite. i'm not gonna rule one out because of some dumbass study. there's a time and place for everything. and i love bongloads.  :bongload:

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: Magash]
    #286725 - 09/26/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
ISO hash is not covered under prop 215 and isn't covered under medical guidelines cause of the butane use to make it. Many clubs don't know this and stock it.

ISO hash is made with ISOpropyl alcohol not butane, hence the name ISO hash.

most people refer to the "hash" or "oil" made with butane as BHO or butane honey oil (some call it butane hash oil).

there are different names and slang but ISO is definitely not made with butane.

just a small correction. love your grows by the way.

Offlinestoner420
Stranger

#286736 - 09/26/09 01:29 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i like bongs because yes it gets you more stoned and i like smoking bowls because i feel its the healthier way of smoking

OfflinePetergriffin467
    #286887 - 09/26/09 05:07 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I want this bong

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #286890 - 09/26/09 05:13 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

To the OP I would say that bongs do filter something. Could be THC could be something different. All I know is that smoking out of a pipe seems less healthy. You have to smoke way more to get the same effect with a pipe. I could take one bong hit and get the same effect as multiple bowls. I know what you are talking about with the yellow shit too. I dont know what the hell that is. But I'm going to go do some researching myself now.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: Triptonic]
    #286895 - 09/26/09 05:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I just found this posted by usg in a thread linked at the bottom of this page

very interesting :whoo:

Now I just have to find a source

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#286897 - 09/26/09 05:27 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Here is where he got it.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#286898 - 09/26/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Water Filtration on Marijuana Smoke

Quote:

In summary, it appears that water filtration can be effective in removing components from marijuana smoke that are known toxicants, while allowing the THC to pass through relatively intact. The effectiveness of toxicant removal is related to the smoke's water contact area. Specially designed water pipes, incorporating particulate filters and gas dispersion frits would likely be most effective in this regard; the gas dispersion frit serves to break up the smoke into very fine bubbles, thereby increasing its water contact area. While individuals vary greatly in their smoking technique, state of health, dosing regimen, and so on, it seems that many patients could benefit from the use of water pipes to deliver THC. This would allow patients to titrate their dose easily while reducing the health hazard associated with smoke.

--------------------

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#286899 - 09/26/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

oh, thanks :awesome:

--------------------

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#286900 - 09/26/09 05:29 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yeahhh... funny part is, the way i came across that was actually because i read a news story about a medicinal marijuana patient who developed a hole in his/her lung from chronic marijuana usage. it was on the shroomery newsfeed years ago. the news article specifically stated that although marijuana smoke has no link to cancer, that it could cause "holes" in the lungs and did so in that patient. it said if the patient had only used a water-filtered device, that no "hole" would have developed. i've been trying to find this news story for years, but can't find it again.

now that's just ONE case, and it probably wasn't researched heavily, but i feel better about putting my smoke through water.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: usg543]
    #286905 - 09/26/09 05:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

usg543 said:
yeahhh... funny part is, the way i came across that was actually because i read a news story about a medicinal marijuana patient who developed a hole in his/her lung from chronic marijuana usage. it was on the shroomery newsfeed years ago. the news article specifically stated that although marijuana smoke has no link to cancer, that it could cause "holes" in the lungs and did so in that patient. it said if the patient had only used a water-filtered device, that no "hole" would have developed. i've been trying to find this news story for years, but can't find it again.

now that's just ONE case, and it probably wasn't researched heavily, but i feel better about putting my smoke through water.

Ha ha yea dont believe that story. I have never heard of something like that and I'm in the medical feild. Its called a Pneumothorax he probably had some sort of COPD that caused it.

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#286911 - 09/26/09 05:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

well who knows, i'm just reporting what i read, but read this:

http://www.ukcia.org/research/EffectsOfWaterFiltrationOnMarijuanaSmoke.html

Quote:

Effects of water filtration on marijuana smoke: a literature review

Nicholas V. Cozzi, Ph.D.

A drug derived from marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), formulated in sesame oil and encapsulated in soft gelatin capsules (Marinol(R); Roxane), is currently available as a prescription drug for the treatment of two diseases or conditions. It is indicated for the treatment of nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy, and for the AIDS wasting syndrome. The marijuana plant in smokeable form is available to ten patients in the United States for disorders such as glaucoma, spasticity, and the wasting syndrome. Each of these drug delivery systems, oral capsules and smokeable plant, has advantages and disadvantages, and each may be appropriate in particular circumstances. However, a drug delivery system that combines the rapid and reliable onset and ability to easily titrate an ingested dose (such as occurs by smoking marijuana cigarettes) with the least health risk (such as occurs by oral ingestion of capsules) would also be desirable. The use of water-filtered marijuana smoke, as produced by a water pipe, is one little-explored alternative. This article reviews some of the scientific work that has been done regarding the effects of water filtration on the composition and effects of marijuana and tobacco smoke.

While most of the research on water filtration has focused on tobacco smoke, the work with marijuana smoke has revealed that, except for their respective psychoactive components (nicotine and cannabinoids), both smokes share many common constituents and physical properties. Many of the results obtained from studies of tobacco smoke are applicable to marijuana smoke.

In the late 1970's, a group based at the University of Athens Medical School (Greece) conducted a series of chemical and pharmacological studies on marijuana and tobacco smoke.1-4 These scientists tested smoke that had been filtered through a water pipe and also tested the water itself, which contained both soluble and insoluble compounds. Chemical analysis revealed many different compounds in the smoke and in the water, as expected from the combustion of plant materials. The water did trap some THC, as well as other psychoactive compounds, however, most of the THC present in the marijuana passed through the water pipe unchanged. Pharmacological tests (in mice) revealed that some of the water-trapped marijuana compounds were responsible for producing catatonia and for suppressing spontaneous motor activity. In contrast, the water-filtered smoke itself did not affect spontaneous motor activity and did not induce catatonia, though it was richer in THC. These results indicate that water filtration removes some behaviorally active compounds in preference to others; this may be important when comparing the therapeutic effects of whole marijuana smoke to water-filtered smoke.

Research has shown that water filtration reduces both the amount of particulate matter and the number and quantity of toxic substances in the smoke that passes through it. In a 1963 study by Hoffman et al.,5 the water pipe was found to retain 90% of the phenol and 50% of the particulate matter and benzo-a-pyrene of the original tobacco smoke. In another study,6 tobacco smoke components that were passed through a water pipe showed only a minor hyperplasic reaction and no sebaceous gland destruction when they were painted onto mouse skin. (The application of substances to mouse skin to assess carcinogenic potential is a classic toxicological test; the induction of abnormal cell proliferation [hyperplasia] is a red flag.) In contrast, tobacco smoke condensate that was not water-filtered induced strong hyperplasia and complete sebaceous gland destruction when applied to mouse skin in the same concentration. Salem and Sami,7 also using the mouse skin test, showed that there was a significant reduction of carcinogenic potential in water-filtered smoke compared to the water remaining in the pipe i.e., the water-trapped material was more carcinogenic than the smoke that passed through it. Indeed, when analyzed by thin layer chromatography, two carcinogenic agents were identified in the water itself, while only one was identified in the water filtered smoke. Therefore, water filtration removes at least two known carcinogens that would normally be found in the smoke.

Recently, Dr. Gary Huber at the University of Texas and colleagues from Harvard's School of Public Health conducted a cellular toxicity study of marijuana and tobacco smoke.8 This research group showed that passing marijuana or tobacco smoke through water, or even exposing the smoke to a wetted surface of about 48 square inches, effectively removed substances (acrolein and acetaldehyde) which are toxic to alveolar macrophages. Alveolar macrophages are one of the major defense cells of the lung and are an important component of the immune system. When the macrophages were exposed to smoke that was not water filtered, there was a marked impairment of their capacity to kill bacteria. When the smoke was water-filtered, however, there was no reduction in the bactericidal ability of the macrophages, suggesting that marijuana smoke that has been passed through sufficient water will have less impact on the immune system than marijuana smoke that has not been water-filtered. This intriguing finding would be of particular importance when treating patients with the AIDS wasting syndrome.

The laboratory results discussed above parallel what is known from studying human tobacco-smoking populations. Thus, there is substantial epidemiological evidence that among tobacco smokers, those who smoke through a water pipe have a much lower incidence of carcinoma than those who smoke cigarettes or smoke a "regular" pipe or cigars.6,7,9,10

In summary, it appears that water filtration can be effective in removing components from marijuana smoke that are known toxicants, while allowing the THC to pass through relatively intact. The effectiveness of toxicant removal is related to the smoke's water contact area. Specially designed water pipes, incorporating particulate filters and gas dispersion frits would likely be most effective in this regard; the gas dispersion frit serves to break up the smoke into very fine bubbles, thereby increasing its water contact area. While individuals vary greatly in their smoking technique, state of health, dosing regimen, and so on, it seems that many patients could benefit from the use of water pipes to deliver THC. This would allow patients to titrate their dose easily while reducing the health hazard associated with smoke.

REFERENCES
1) Spronck, H.J.W.; Salemink, C.A.; Alikaridis,F.; Papadakis,D. Pyrolysis of cannabinoids: a model experiment in the study of cannabis smoking. Bulletin on Narcotics, 30, 55-59 (1978)

2) Alikaridis,Ph.; Michael,C.M.; Papadakis,D.P.; Kephalas, T.A.; Kiburis,J. Scientific Research on Cannabis. No. 55. Chemical aspects of cannabis smoke produced through water pipes. United Nations Secretariat ST/SOA/SER.S/55, GE. 77-7339, 1-9 (17 June 1977)

3) Savaki,H.E.; Cunha,J.; Carlini,E.A.; Kephalas, T.A. Pharmacological activity of three fractions obtained by smoking cannabis through a water pipe. Bulletin on Narcotics, 28, 49-56 (1976)

4) Lazaratou,H.; Moschovakis,A.; Armagandis,A.; Kapsambelis, V.; Kiburis,J.; Kephalas, T.A. The pharmacological effect of fractions obtained by smoking cannabis through a water pipe. II. A second fractionation step. Experientia, 36, 1407-1408 (1980)

5) Hoffman, D.; Rathkamp, G.; Wynder, E.L. Comparison of the yields of several selected components in the smoke from different tobacco products. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 31, 627-635 (1963)

6) Salem, E.S. Studies on special smoking patterns in Egypt. 5th World Conference on Smoking and Health, Winnipeg, Canada. July 10-15, 1983. Eds: Bola, P; Wright, F.E.

7) Salem, E.S.; Sami, A. Studies on pulmonary manifestations of goza smokers. Chest, 65, 599 (1974)

8) Huber, G.L.; First, M.W.; Grubner, O. Marijuana and tobacco smoke gas-phase cytotoxins. Pharmacology Biochemistry & Behavior, 40, 629-636 (1991)

9) Lubin,J.H.; Li, J.-Y.; Xuan, X.-Z.; Cai,S.K.; Luo, Q.-S.; Yang, L.-F.; Wang, J.-Z.; Yang,L.; Blot, W.J. Risk of lung cancer among cigarette and pipe smokers in Southern China. International Journal of Cancer, 51, 390-395 (1992)

10) Srivastava, Y.C. Oral Leukoplakia. International Surgery, 58, 614-618 (1973)

Acknowledgement:
This study was supported by a grant from MAPS
2105 Robinson Avenue
Sarasota FL 34232
email: st.maps@cybernetics.net (Sylvia Thyssen, Network Coordinator)

Copyright © 1995 by Nicholas V. Cozzi, Ph.D. This document may be freely copied and distributed, subject to the following limitations: 1) This document must be copied in its entirety, without modifications; 2) This document may NOT be copied for commercial purposes.

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#286912 - 09/26/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

sorry nobody important, didn't realize you already found the link. my bad! :hi5:

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#286917 - 09/26/09 05:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

and I didnt realise that triptonic had already posted the link :rastamon:

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#286918 - 09/26/09 05:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

And I'm so high I dont realize why this country doesnt make weed completely leagal.

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#286921 - 09/26/09 06:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

oh shit i told you to read an article you linked to :facepalm:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#286922 - 09/26/09 06:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:rofl2: its aiiight.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#286958 - 09/26/09 07:31 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Don't be so quick to dismiss a MAPS sponsored study.  I think all the studies cited in this thread were maps sponsored.  They adhere to the highest scientific standards in research.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#286960 - 09/26/09 07:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I didnt dismiss anything man.....what are you talkin about?

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#286963 - 09/26/09 07:56 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i wasn't referring to you.

Quote:

usg543 said:
i'm not gonna rule one out because of some dumbass study.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#286964 - 09/26/09 07:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quick reply FAIL! :lol:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#286965 - 09/26/09 07:59 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:  I march to the beat of my own druming yo!

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#286968 - 09/26/09 08:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Same here man, same here.

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#286969 - 09/26/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
i wasn't referring to you.

Quote:

usg543 said:
i'm not gonna rule one out because of some dumbass study.

why? a lot of Maps studies are flawed. guess you haven't researched how they perform the tests. i have. for example, look up what kind of cigarette smoking machine they use to perform their tests on cigarettes and joints. it's flawed brah.

you shouldn't trust any ONE study, you should read many and then come to your own conclusions. and if my conclusion is that the study is a bunch of BS, then that's fine by me.

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#286970 - 09/26/09 08:12 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

besides i actually cited a different Maps study in my defense. if you read both you'd see they conflict with each other. one saying bongs are possibly safer, another saying they aren't. if you can't dismiss one you'll be one confused individual. i don't necessarily have the right answers but i do have an opinion.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#286972 - 09/26/09 08:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Maps are what I use to navagate BITCH! hahaha. I thought it was funny. But I'm high as sht.

OfflinePetergriffin467
    #286999 - 09/26/09 11:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I dont see how bongs can be any worse for you if you are packing the same amount in them as you would a bowl.  How is it that a .1 hit out of a bowl is gonna be worse for me than a .1 hit out of a bong?? If you use a bong to take monster hits than yes its probably worse but if you use it the same as you would any other smoking device I think its probably better for you.  A hot unfiltered bowl hit that scorches your throat is not something I would call "better" than a smooth bong hit.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#287000 - 09/26/09 11:23 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Its smooth cuz its colder but yes I agree with you. I would think that water would do something. Or if anything it would do nothing. But then it wouldnt be worse. It would just be the same. Just cuz you are taking big hits doesnt mean anything. In order to get to the same point you would have to smoke the same amount. If not maybe a little less with a bowl because it seems like in a bong the water absorbs some of the THC.

OfflinePetergriffin467
    #287004 - 09/26/09 11:40 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yea I bet a little bit of thc is lost in the water but a very miniscule amount.  Also I bet the fact that its a concentrated hit all at once instead of drawn out makes up for the fact for what is lost anyway.  One other thing you gotta consider is that lots of people are wasteful with their weed anyway and let bowls roast and lots of smoke escape and don't hold their hits so that little bit lost isnt realy enough to worry about.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies