Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Bongs ? Your Opinions.
    #285762 - 09/24/09 01:58 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ive noticed that all over the internet people seem to think bongs are one of the most unhealthy ways to smoke, the attitude of many people on different sites seems to be... Bongs dont filter the smoke, they just cool it off so you can take bigger hits.

How can someone see bubbles of smoke going through a bong, see the water turn a darker color and still say the water serves no purpose ?

Heres a post I made that nobody has responded to yet but im just curious to see what peoples opinions are over here on the growery.

"the water does filter the smoke, what its filtering out, I dont know

BUT, you cant say that water in bongs dosent filter out smoke

On my bong, I have...

An ashcatcher, mainly so I dont have to clean out my bong but it catches all of the actual "ashes"

then it hits the diffy in the bottom of the bong and not one ash is in the water but after a few hits the water will turn yellow after more smoking it will be dark yellow almost brown

then above that is the perc, the water up here turns a lighter shade of yellow that the water below it but still, the water is filtering something

And resin buildup on a dry pipe compared to a wet pipe dosent work because dry pipes arent full of water to constantly be cleaning itself off

My bong gets resin stains right above the water level in each chamber

so im  positive that bongs do more than just cool down the smoke, im just not sure exactly what more they do, someone should do an analysis of bong water and find out"

Its simple, the water is a barrier that the smoke has to pass through, to pass through it just floats up. as its floating up any particles that are no longer in the vapor state due to the smoke cooling will turn back into a liquid or solid or whatever and become trapped in the water because it wont float up to the top with the rest of the smoke

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemeatcakeman
You Have Heard of the Yetti
Male

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #285765 - 09/24/09 02:05 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Bongs filter out ash.

And in doing so, it condenses the volume of each hit causing an increase in density of the smoke per each inhalation.

Thus, it is terrible for your lungs.

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: meatcakeman]
    #285766 - 09/24/09 02:07 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

bongs filter out more than ash, use a bong with multiple chambers and you will see for yourself :smile:

And how does filtering out ash condense the volume of each hit ?

or do you mean as the smoke cools it condenses, if so thats not that big of a deal, its like saying people that smoke in cold areas are less healthy than people who smoke it warm climates ( which could be true im just using it as an example )

--------------------
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #285770 - 09/24/09 02:12 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

meatcakeman said:
Bongs filter out ash.

And in doing so, it condenses the volume of each hit

:rofl2:

can you explain that.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: still beLIEve]
    #285771 - 09/24/09 02:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I see three statements with no supporting facts between them, I sort of see where he is coming from but I dont agree

The only point I will agree on in the anti bong argument is that yeah, people take bigger hits out of bongs

thats what their for, it dosent matter if you smoke a gram all at once through a bonghit or in 15 hits in a bowl, its all the same stuff getting into you, except likely there is less of it getting into you if you use a bong or other waterpipe (or non water pipe with some sort of filtration)

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: still beLIEve]
    #285804 - 09/24/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

still beLIEve said:
Quote:

meatcakeman said:
Bongs filter out ash.

And in doing so, it condenses the volume of each hit

:rofl2:

can you explain that.

When you smoke out of a bong, the water filtrates the smoke to the point where it condenses into one holistic hit. It's like you're smoking more smoke per amount of THC.

It's like taking 4 or 5 hits as one hit; THC-wise.

It's terrible for your lungs.

EDIT: READ THIS

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

Edited by meatcakeman (09/24/09 03:15 PM)

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285814 - 09/24/09 03:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Its funny you posted that because I was just reading the same article

Why would taking 4 or 5 hits worth of THC in one lung full be any worse than taking it in 4 or 5 hits ?

Just gets you high faster

and I really dont know about this studies credibility

they used shitty weed (2.3% average THC content)

They used weird ass pipes, I saw the pictures from this study a while ago, Not one real enthusiast glass on glass bong with proper diffusers and several chambers.

Also they said some of the THC is absorbed into the water, THC is an oil and is not soluble in water, if there was an even semi significant amount of THC in the water it would float to the top and you would have a thin film of THC on your water (which I havent noticed before except when cleaning with 70% iso, then you can see the resin that you clean off your pipe break down in the alcohol and seperate from the water.

I agree with you that you are taking in much more at once through a bong but I dont believe that is a significant factor, if anything one big hit should be healthier than 5 little hits no matter what you smoke through/

BUT one of the things about bongs that I really like about bongs is that the smoke is evenly distributed in the chamber before it enters your lungs, thats not directly related to the water but the water helps as the bubbling helps spread it out and mix it up

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male

#285817 - 09/24/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

NobodyImportant said:
Its funny you posted that because I was just reading the same article

Why would taking 4 or 5 hits worth of THC in one lung full be any worse than taking it in 4 or 5 hits ?

Just gets you high faster

and I really dont know about this studies credibility

they used shitty weed (2.3% average THC content)

They used weird ass pipes, I saw the pictures from this study a while ago, Not one real enthusiast glass on glass bong with proper diffusers and several chambers.

Also they said some of the THC is absorbed into the water, THC is an oil and is not soluble in water, if there was an even semi significant amount of THC in the water it would float to the top and you would have a thin film of THC on your water (which I havent noticed before except when cleaning with 70% iso, then you can see the resin that you clean off your pipe break down in the alcohol and seperate from the water.

I agree with you that you are taking in much more at once through a bong but I dont believe that is a significant factor, if anything one big hit should be healthier than 5 little hits no matter what you smoke through/

BUT one of the things about bongs that I really like about bongs is that the smoke is evenly distributed in the chamber before it enters your lungs, thats not directly related to the water but the water helps as the bubbling helps spread it out and mix it up

Why are you trying to argue this?

The author of that article is highly regarded.
Google his name. He has done a numerous amount of studies concerning medicinal cannabis and its use. I am 100% confident in the article's validity.

Quote:

:wtf:

You're taking 4 or 5 hits worth of SMOKE per unit of THC. So you're still taking in as much THC as you would with one hit, but you're also inhaling 4 or 5 hits-worth of smoke and, subsequently, tar; this is for each bong toke.

That's terrible for your lungs.

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285821 - 09/24/09 03:34 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

so your saying that one hit of a bong with .5g of nug somehow makes 5x more smoke and tar but the same amount of THC as hitting .5g through a bowl ???

And thanks for contributing to my bong thread, I care about everybodys opinion and I am pondering your theories right now :mushroom2:

I was gonna leave that as a comment and rate you 5 but I guess I rated you already

--------------------

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285824 - 09/24/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

and im not trying to say that the study is complete BS, I just believe they got too shitty of weed, used weird pipes, and that when studying an illegal drug is difficult to do in todays society

In particular the water pipes they used would have been the equivalent of me putting a bic pen in the side of a 2 liter coke bottle, no proper diffusion technology

a good bong can probably filter the water 10x better than a single downstem bubbling straight up

See this pic, each of those downstems filters the smoke differently and each produces a different hit

--------------------

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285825 - 09/24/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Anyway im out for the night :smile:

Going to see Gojira

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male

#285829 - 09/24/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

NobodyImportant said:
so your saying that one hit of a bong with .5g of nug somehow makes 5x more smoke and tar but the same amount of THC as hitting .5g through a bowl ???

And thanks for contributing to my bong thread, I care about everybodys opinion and I am pondering your theories right now :mushroom2:

I was gonna leave that as a comment and rate you 5 but I guess I rated you already

It doesn't matter the total mass of cannabis being smoked. The percentage of THC stays the same throughout the nug. But through a filtered apparatus, such as the bong, you condense the smoke in the total volume of each bong toke to the point where it's density is much like a cloud rather than a smoky breath.

I don't know. I feel like I'm explaining this really badly. I'm really fucking ripped off this Jack Herer right now.

I'm gone.

:flyhigh:

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

#285831 - 09/24/09 03:43 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

we shall continue this convo another time sir, in the mean time anyone is welcome to share their thoughts on the matter

and I just wanted to post this cool pic :smile:

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
    #285837 - 09/24/09 03:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting arguement you guys got going on here!

But i have noticed IME, That most people have the belief that bongs get you higher cause you get more smoke. Well i have done several personal experiments between smoking a bong and smoking out of a glass pipe. I can take 2 equal amounts of herb, pack one in my bong and the other in my small glass pipe. I can smoke the bong load and get 2-3 hits off that load. I can then smoke the glass pipe and get 6-8 good hits. Now the bong load gets me high, but the bowl load got me ripped! (Both done at separate times of sobriety)I think, again from personal experience, that how high you get really depends on your lungs and how much smoke you can draw in and how much of that smoke your lung can absorb before you exhale. My personal opinion is that i would rather smoke out of my little class pipe for 2 reason, 1 i get higher and more hits and 2 my bag of herb last alot longer burning it through the pipe. As far as the water goes, i have no real clue if it filters anything? But i would say that the water does collect some of the smoke and maybe some of the thc. That resin just above the water line in your bong i believe to be the thc that collects on the top of the water.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male

Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #285845 - 09/24/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

QFT.

:shuffle:

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

OfflineKine

#285846 - 09/24/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Water filters smoke.  Water and ice Cool smoke.  Smoke that becomes cool becomes dense.  Dense = more smoke per sq in; not higher concentration.  1g smoked threw a bong; is 1g smoked.  It just was colder; less rips; and less tar material.  1g smoked threw a piece; is still just 1g smoked.  It was harsh; took more effort and time; but i probably got higher longer; because it took me 30 min to smoke a bowl (i enjoy it) vs 5 min to take 2 rips off a bong)  But when im high off a bong i feel its a clearer high.  Pipes get me stuck feelin.

I dont understand why taking in 1g worth of smoke in one hit; is any worse then 5 hits.  Is it going to put more strain on your lungs?  Sure... how much? Not much; you'll cough and it'll be gone quick.  Thats why you cough; your body says ENOUGH.  I can ghost a pipe hit; but thats just putting all the tar that wasnt filtered out by the bong in my lungs... YUMMY!!!

Another thing is somewhere i was reading about smoking in colder climates is like a bong.  I agree.  Mile high (ok, higher up then that even), and yesterday was a warm 40 degrees!  That only helps me in my smoking.  If anything im healthier then someone smoking at sea level, in 80 degree weather.  why?  Density again!  Its like with beer... same effect applys... i pwn bongs at sea level.  People come here... cant hit shit...

im rambiling now...

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: Kine]
    #285848 - 09/24/09 04:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Who cares?  On some level smoking weed is bad for you, but if you are going to smoke it it is going to fuck up your lungs a little bit.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Re: Bongs ? Your Opinions. [Re: SmOakland]
    #285852 - 09/24/09 04:42 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Look at your pipes! All that resin in the pipe is probly what the inside of your lungs look like! I smoke heavily and my lungs get a little congested smoking this highly potent stuff. I quit for a few days and my lungs clear some. But seriously look at that pipe you smoke out of, the resin collected in that stem also collects in your lungs! Your body is able to somewhat clean itself and you hock up big brown lung oysters.

The inhalation of cannabis smoke has been one of the major downfalls to making it a medicinal drug. Which is why so many people have been working on cleaner ways to ingest this medicine. BHO, ISO, Bubble hashes, budder, etc. have become more and more popular in the cannabis culture because of this downfall.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Edited by SpaceMonkey (09/24/09 04:43 PM)

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male

#285854 - 09/24/09 05:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

:volcano:

--------------------
sǝıqɐq ɹɐʇ

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #285877 - 09/24/09 06:55 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I don't even know where to begin.  Frankly, there shouldn't even be debate about this.  I am sure this science is out there somewhere.  It's just a matter of someone finding it and posting it.  I would love to see the results of the experiments.  I think the main testable issue is what the water collects as the smoke is passed through it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it filtered out some chemicals.  I also wouldn't be surprised if it did nothing but cool the smoke and deposit a small amount of byproduct.  The smoke passes through your pipe and it turns it all nasty colors too.  Why wouldn't the same be true for the water that the nasty, dense smoke travels through.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals