Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Bagseed Sprouts: Noob questions
    #303506 - 10/25/09 09:01 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

What's happenin guys.

I too, come from the Shroomery.  So let this be my disclaimer that I understand that attention to detail, research, and just doing shit the right way is the only way to actually be "successful"...

That said, I started some window sill bagseed... lol

Okay, it's not that bad, but only because I've got the bug now... I'm going to grow some buds guys.

To the Point:
6-8 (forgot) bagseed germinated paper towel style.
1 very early sprout
2 more to follow          (3 total sproutlings)

-This is day 1 for the small ones, day 3 for the largest... All have the cotyldons or whatever, the largest has 1/4 inch long serrates and is about 11/2 inch tall total...

-They're potted soil in extremely small 'seedling' pots or something... they're like 1oz shot glass sized (but with drain) cups.

-Really weak nute soil , like .01/.05/.01 or something equally insignificant.

-2 23w 6500K CFLs dangling over them

-Open room, 75-80F

MY REAL QUESTIONS are mostly about watering, soil, and nutrients

What kind of watering schedule should I be considering?
When to repot
When are PH and nutrients going to start biting me in the ass without addressing them?

Anyway, Glad to be here... this place is a goldmine of knowledge.  I'm still reading and planning, but in the meantime I basically just had a little unplanned pregnancy with these guys.  It was actually my girlfriend who started in with the seeds, and I just can't see it done TOO half-assed...

Peace guys, thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoPeYsMuRf

Re: Bagseed Sprouts: Noob questions [Re: DudeTron]
    #303521 - 10/25/09 10:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If you really want to grow your goiing to need to get a light. Right now where I live the light cycle is 12/12 so If your starting new plant your going to need to get a light. Period. [edit] I just noticed you said you have 2 cfl's. Think of it like this. The more light the faster the growth. 2 cfl's are enough for survival. Nothing more. If your serious the MINIMUM imo is a 400watt HPS. Ideally you would want at least a 600W. but that's just my opinion because I only have a 400 watt. 600's are the more efficient. I just don;t think 400's are big enough. But they work well for the smallest "real" grow, LOL.

I water when I notice the soils dry. Simple as that. I like wetting the soil so that I know every molecule of it is soaked.
Then I let it dry out completely. Not enough so the plant wilts. Although sometimes it happens.
One main reason I do this is so any mold will not be able to live. Constant moisture is inviting mold. Letting the soil dry out completely stops this from happening.

Get some ocean forest fox farm soil.
Soil itself acts as a buffer. That's one reason I like it. It's much more forgiving when adding water because the soil quickly buffers the water to the perfect pH. Considering your putting water that is close to the same. I use distilled or RO/DI.

I repot when the plant is the size of the container. I try to visualize the roots being a mirror image of the top. Like, there's just as much growth underground as there is above ground.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: Bagseed Sprouts: Noob questions [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #303524 - 10/25/09 10:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Right on bud... thanks for the advice.

The only thing stopping me from just getting an HID is the space commitment associated with it... I'd really like to do a fairly stealth grow... Like, one decently trained plant...

For now... I know it probably wont last very long, because I already know I have to tweak shit and keep on going until I'll probably end up with a 400w or so taking up an entire closet anyway...

But for now, I'm about to get down to the hardware store and pick up a couple 42w CFLs... this just seems like it's about what I want.

The only thing is I've seen some 65w and 150w CFLs and whatnot, but nobody uses them... what's up with that?

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: Bagseed Sprouts: Noob questions [Re: DoPeYsMuRf]
    #303525 - 10/25/09 11:02 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

For two plants you can get away with those lights and still have a small grow, but if you want a serious proper grow, ya you will need a bit more. But 250 watt HPS is fine for two plants.  You can do those two plants with the CFLs, measure the Lumens and figure 2000 Lumens per square foot.  Remember the Lumens are often rated on the lights for a 12 inch distance from the light.  With Florescent and CFLs, you can get the lights very close...inches away, just never let the plant touch the light basically. And if they are not automatic plants, which I am fairly sure they are not, you should run 18/6 for veg period then switch to 12/12 to flower.

Also, you cannot leave them growing in those small jiffy pot type things for too long, those roots need space, so plant them into a 2 gallon container each with a decent soil mix pretty soon.  I suggest 5 days from sprout to switch them out of those small containers.  Roots are about twice as much as top growth really, sometimes 3 times as much.  Bigger is better.

Water them when they are DRY.  Biggest noob mistake is overwatering and next is overfeeding or feeding incorrectly.  You can use for soil a number of recipes here on the site, but consider what I use, basically 65% Sphaghum Peat Moss, 35% Perlite.  Avoid soils with nutrients built in as they can really screw the plants up.

With a proper soil mix, PH usually is not an issue.  Also if you want an easy Nutrient that is organic, I use Fish Emulsion 5-1-1 and mix 1/8th package dose for first 2 weeks, then 1/4, then 1/2 and so on, keep upping it slowly.  And try not to overfeed either as Nute burn sucks.

Post pics and more questions.  Always happy to help.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: Bagseed Sprouts: Noob questions [Re: Azyle00]
    #303528 - 10/25/09 11:06 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

About your CFL wattage question:  Remember that Watts do not = light, they equal power use.

Consider T5 Flos perhaps.  What you need to understand is Lumens.  Look for what the Lumen output is.  Try and get the most Lumens for the least watts.  Also consider how much space they light.  T5s give the most bang for the buck in watts and keep the Lumen area tight as they are smaller for their output.  6500Kelvins for Veg.  2700Kelvins for flowering.

Again for a closet grow with 1 or 2 plants, you can easily get a 250 watt HPS and it will do a good job for you in a closet.

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: Bagseed Sprouts: Noob questions [Re: Azyle00]
    #303892 - 10/26/09 12:40 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Why do you suggest I go 18/6?

Feel like helping me cook up a soil recipe?

I've got, on hand:

Verm
perlite
Coco coir
cheap potting soil .1/.05/.05
Miracle grow all purpose 24/8/16
Shultz cactus juice 2/7/7
osmocote smart release 19/6/12 (granules)
Lime (granules)
horticultural charcoal?

I dunno, we've got quite a few house plants and mushrooms...

So, I've got a single 23w CFL and two 27w CFLs hovering about an inch and a half above my little sproutlings... I don't think it's going to be enough once they get bigger.... Cant find the damn 40s in 6500K... come flower though I've got my eyes on a couple 65w 2700K CFLs... assuming I don't just break down by then and find a small HPS...

Not trying to make this a grow log... just let me know if I'm missing anything.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: Bagseed Sprouts: Noob questions [Re: DudeTron]
    #303950 - 10/26/09 08:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I say 18/6 because most grows are done with 18/6 veg and 12/12 flower.  But you can try veg at 24/0 if you want.  Or 20/4.  But I would think the majority of growers do 18/6 veg.

Next, my mix:

60% Sphaghum Peat Moss
35% Perlite
Remainder is Blood Meal, Bone Meal, Dolomite Lime, a little soil (with no time release Nutes).  Then I only use Fish Emulsion 5-1-1 to feed with waterings about every second or third watering.  I cannot stress how important Perlite is.  Some growers will use 100% Perlite to grow, but then the project is Aero and requires daily watering, feeding from my understanding.  Do not overdo the "additives".

Pure Sphaghum Peat Moss is cheap.  I really recommend you go get some and use it with the Perlite.  The Dolomite lime is to help regulate PH and also a very good thing to include. 

Keep searching for lights.  I always find what I need at Home Depot it seems, but I am in Canada, maybe ours are different.  6500Kelvins are needed for Veg.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck