Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Ventilation system built - Comments appreciated :-)
    #302585 - 10/23/09 04:44 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

What do you think. :smile:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ventilation system built - Comments appreciated :-) [Re: TomCollins]
    #302763 - 10/23/09 07:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If it works then im all for it!  im more about function on those sorts of things. 

you need to lower that light on those plants.  See how long those stems are?  There should be less space between nodes.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
Re: Ventilation system built - Comments appreciated :-) [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #302785 - 10/23/09 08:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Looks sweet...what are the specs?  How old are they?

And certainly lower that light as well...stretchy! :smile:

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Ventilation system built - Comments appreciated :-) [Re: Azyle00]
    #302882 - 10/24/09 03:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

400 Watt HPS, Hydro Flood n Drain system (using advanced hydroponics of holland stack), air flows kinda low but its enough to make the plants sway so I think it will help. I've already noticed a decrease in humidity so I think its good.

Really, lower the light? I'm really worried about heat damage, one of my plants took a heavy beating before I moved it and installed the vent system. It use to be located on the far right, but I moved it over left and it's recovering now. The bulb use to face the other direction, so I think the right side was getting way more light than the left, but as you can see it's facing left now towards the vent. So anyway, I think the direction the light bulb faces now may help. What do you guys think?

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (10/24/09 03:42 AM)

InvisibleTcrib
Stranger

#302886 - 10/24/09 04:09 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, lower the lights.

Get them as close as you can without burning them...You are wasting a TON of light.

Put your hand under the light and if your hand doesn't get extremely hot then its fine...You should be able to get it under 24 inches close.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Ventilation system built - Comments appreciated :-) [Re: Tcrib]
    #302889 - 10/24/09 05:01 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Shiiit... and just went I installed that nice ventilator right up by the light.... I hate you guys so much haha. But you gotta do what you gotta do I guess. Worst case scenario it'll cool hot air build up at the top. Although I may just cover the vent up now and jack up the airflow to the plants.

Thanks for the chart Tcrib, it's really helpful. :smile:

Right now the light is sort of in a fixed position, but I guess the best thing to do would be to get some chains with length, so that I can easily adjust the height of the light.

Alright thanks a lot guys, I'll get on it.

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleTcrib
Stranger

#302906 - 10/24/09 06:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well, good ventilation is good so that's actually good that you did it. Heat is something you want to try to keep down so the vent will come in handy in that area too...

You want to get as much light as possible while keeping the temps down as much as possible.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303004 - 10/24/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes it is a balancing act between temperature and Lumens.  The way I measure heat is I take one of those digital cooking theremoters that you can use with an oven (the kind you poke into a chicken for example), they are fairly inexpensive and mount it at the same level as the top of my plant.  This allows you to get a accurate temperature at the height of the plant.  So then you can mount the lights (an adjustable chain system is really helpful as plants grow, so you need to adjust lights quite a bit during the weeks of growing/flowering).  I am thinking the minimum distance would be 20 inches based on the number of plants and 400 watt HPS, trying to think,  2000 Lumens per square foot is a rule I believe.  Could even side light them with a single rack of two T-8 Flos for about $25 more and they give off much less heat (and less lumens) to aid them along if you were finding you could not get the HPS close enough and cool enough for your desired range.

Now once you have that set up you can play with your cooling systems to try and get that temperature as close to 79 degrees as possible.  Mine fluctuate between 79 to 81 and have no problems with the plants, even when they are young.

Sorry we make you work hard, but your plants are still young and all the work you do now to get it perfect is going to pay off in the end.  Hoping to see you post that damaged plant in a week looking healthy :smile:

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

OfflineTomCollins

#303054 - 10/24/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Installing chains is no problem don't worry, I'm just happy I'm getting advice and feedback.

I feel like an idiot though for installing that little triangle duct at the top to try and cool the light. I'm just going to tape up the mouth and jack the air flow up to the plants. Live and learn as they say. :-)

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleTcrib
Stranger

#303060 - 10/24/09 01:43 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well air isn't all about heat...You need to remove the air in the room about once every 5 minutes and replace it for new co2. The leaves use up the co2 around them fairly quickly and if there isn't air being circulated it prevents optimal growth.

OfflineTomCollins

#303069 - 10/24/09 01:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I have my fans doing 15 min spins at 30 minute intervals. Would it be better to decrease interval time? Or should I just have the guys running all the time.

Also, is temperature actually a factor or is it more of humidity combined with heat that can cause stress. I read somewhere plants can handle up to 35c (95f) as long as humidity levels are more or less non-existent. It made sense to me, because a hot day doesn't really feel hot if the air is kinda dry - but humidity on a hot day is killer.

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleTcrib
Stranger

#303080 - 10/24/09 02:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

They can handle it but I keep my room around 75 degrees and if you read thats about optimal.

You don't want the fans blowing directly on the plants...Have them blowing over it kind of allowing the breeze to trickle down to the canopy.

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303084 - 10/24/09 02:30 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ambient heat like that in a closed space will cause problems.  I highly suggest keeping it under 85 degrees.  Too much heat will dry and damage them.  Too much humidity will generally lead to mold problems.  There is no reason in a controlled setup like you have that you cannot maintain proper heat and humidity.  Based on your tek and knowledge, you should be able to control all this very easily.

Tcrib is right about the air as well.  It is a removal of Oxygen build up and bringing back in co2 and without a doubt, proper circulation is key.  Decrease the exchange interval time to vent and bring in fresh air.  A lot claim to go at 5 minute intervals for 1 minute on air exchange and get good results again it takes some experimentation to get it optimal for your setup, but for circulation within the environment, a oscillating fan can work well.  The leaves need to be always moving slightly for optimal "hardening" etc as well.  No direct non-stop air blowing on them however, again this is why a small oscillating fan is ideal, slowly blowing the air all over your space and causing those leaves to slightly blow and move...do not need to overdo this.

There is lots of co2 in a closet space, but without circulation, the area around the plant gets to be oxygen rich...but I cannot see that being an issue even with how you run your vents now, you must have circulation with those fans...even a slight bit.

Next issue you might face is the smell from venting...where are you venting to?  Is the smell of the weed going to be a problem and if so, start designing a carbon scrubber (EASY to DO) to install into your venting.

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflineTomCollins

#303130 - 10/24/09 03:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think based on the temperatures I'm seeing right now, an oscillating fan would be a nice cheap extra fix.

There is tons of circulation in the closet. The issue is (and I was afraid this would come to haunt me) but there is no exhaust out of the closet. I usually keep one of the closet doors slightly open. With the fan running and the door cracked temperatures are fine and I can feel air movement going in and out; however, if the doors are closed it doesn't do too much.  I just really didn't want to put a huge hole in my closet. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to do that because I'm not getting the effects I wanted. Although, it only really gets hot in there at night time.

The smell is not really an issue for me. However, this is my first grow - so I don't how how intense it would be. My plan was to invest in one or make my own if and when it becomes a problem.

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleTcrib
Stranger

#303141 - 10/24/09 04:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

How many plants you working with? I know when I get to the 6 plant marker they start to smell pretty good.

OfflineTomCollins

#303142 - 10/24/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

6 eh? Well... I have 7 haha, so I guess that means I should probably get a filter then... got it. :smile:

--------------------
andyistic said:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies