Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetowelie1234
Stranger

Cross breeding & genetics question
    #300833 - 10/20/09 12:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My friend is wondering if anybody knows what characeristics of cannabis plants are inherited from the male parent vs the female parent?

I remembering hearing once that a plants height and yield came mostly from the male parent, and the potency came mostly from the female. Im not sure if this is true or not, but this is basically what Im trying to figure out. For example if, hypothetically, a male that does well in its grower's climate, grows large and is very cold resistant, is crossed with a female with a very high level of THC and massive yield, would the resulting seeds grow plants with those characteristics?

By characteristics I mean things like hight, yield, flowering period, potency, color, smell, temperature/pest resistance, etc... whatever anybody knows. I tried google searching this for a while and skimmed through the posts on this site but came up with nothing so far.

I also posted the above question on a different forum, but got no replies yet.  This forum seems like a better place to ask this question anyways.

Thanks

--------------------
Did you hear about the gay midget that just came out of the cupboard?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cross breeding & genetics question [Re: towelie1234]
    #300921 - 10/20/09 03:49 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nope, any trait can come from either side.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cross breeding & genetics question [Re: Magash]
    #300952 - 10/20/09 05:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Think about genetics in humans, you can inherit your eye color from your mom, hair color from your pops, etc.  Same thing with cannabis.  Now you can selectively breed plants until they produce something with the characteristics you want in the final product, but even then you never really know which traits are going to be inherited from what parent.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinetowelie1234
Stranger

Re: Cross breeding & genetics question [Re: coda]
    #301104 - 10/20/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ahhh bummer... o well.  i guess trial and error will have to be my friend's approach.

--------------------
Did you hear about the gay midget that just came out of the cupboard?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder