Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
How to tell the difference between indica and sativa & maybe some you havent heard about.
    #224671 - 05/09/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thought this would help some of you out, cant take all the credit for it though all thanks goes to Weedfarmer.

Cannabis Indica And Sativa
The Differences between Indica and Sativa Cannabis plants:

Fat Leaves and Short Bush = INDICA

Thin Leaves and Tall Bush = SATIVA

Indica....higher CBD levels equals heavier, sleepy type of high. Yield is usually higher than Sativa, and shorter growing season. Better for indoor growing, because they don't get as tall.

Sativa....higher THC levels equals cerebral, soaring type of high, more energetic Yield is usually lower than Indica, but is very potent. eg: Thai Sativa grow taller and have a longer flowering period, so they are better suited for outdoors.

Sativa's typically take longer to germinate and flower, and they grow more gangly then indica breeds.

More info on Indica/Sativa identification:

Sativas are just about the opposite of Indicas. They are tall, thin plants, with much narrower leaves and grow a lighter green in color. They grow very quickly and can reach heights of 20 feet in a single season. They originally come from Colombia, Mexico, Thailand and Southeast Asia. Once flowering has begun, they can take anywhere from 10 to 16 weeks to fully mature. Flavors range from earthy to sweet and fruity. Sativa's higher THC than CBD equals cerebral, soaring type of high, more energetic which can stimulate brain activity and may produce hallucinations.
Sativa plants are taller, take longer to mature, have less chlorophyll and more accessory pigments (accessory pigments protect the plant from excessive sunlight). As Sativa strains have less chlorophyll than Indica they take longer to grow, mature, and require more light.

Sativa typically takes longer to germinate and flower also, and grows more gangly then Indica breeds.

Yield is usually lower than Indica, but is very potent. Thai Sativa grows taller and has a longer flowering period, so they are better suited for outdoors.

Indicas originally come from the hash producing countries of the world like Afghanistan, Morocco, and Tibet. They are short dense plants, with broad leaves and often grow a darker green. After flowering starts they will be mature in 6 to 8 weeks. The buds will be thick and dense, with flavors and aromas ranging from pungent skunk to sweet and fruity. The smoke from an Indica is generally a body type stone, relaxing and laid back. Indica's higher CBD than THC equals a much heavier, sleepy type of high. Indica plants have a heavy, stony high that is relaxing and can help different medical problems.
Indica yield is usually higher than Sativa, and shorter growing season. Better for indoor growing, because they don't get as tall.

Indica plants are short, bushy, mature early, have more chlorophyll and less accessory pigments (accessory pigments protect the plant from excessive sunlight). As Indica strains have more chlorophyll than sativa they grow and mature faster.

Combining different indicas, different sativas or a combination thereof creates hybrids. The resulting hybrid strains will grow, mature and smoke in relationship to the indica/sativa percentages they end up containing.

So What is Cannabis Ruderalis?

Cannabis Ruderalis is a subspecies of Cannabis Sativa. The term was originally used in the former Soviet Union to describe the varieties of hemp that had escaped cultivation and adapted to the surrounding region.

Similar Ruderalis populations can be found in most of the areas where hemp cultivation was once prevalent. The most notable region in North America is the midwest, though populations occur sporadically throughout the United States and Canada. Without the human hand aiding in selection, these plants have lost many of the traits they were originally selected for, and have acclimatized to their locale.

Though they contain little THC, these plants hold large potential for use in breeding, both in hemp and marijuana applications. Early flowering and resistance to locally significant insect and disease pressures are but a few of the important traits present in these feral populations.

Thankfully, despite years of US government sponsored eradication programs, these wild plants still remain in bountiful abundance

Buyer beware Though,

There are still many commercially offered Ruderalis hybrid strains that are very low quality and should barely be classed as drug varieties. At the same time, the finest Canadian outdoor pot to have crossed my path so far was from Mighty Mite derived lines that were harvested in July and August.

The future seems clear for Ruderalis/marijuana hybrids. As many governments ease up on antiquated cannabis laws, more and more people will take up growing. A couple of auto-flowers on the back deck will likely fit the lifestyle of many more folks than would an indoor grow room.

Demand for stabilized, auto-flowering hybrids of high drug value, in combination with saner drug laws, will pressure marijuana breeders to move forward on bringing these to fruition.

Until then, the ability to have marijuana crops maturing at any time of the growing season should wreak havoc on CAMP style police tactics that have been accustomed to only searching for plants one or two months of the year. This, if for no other reason, seems ample enough to plant some auto-flowerers today!

And for those wondering about Afghnaica

The once basic gene pool of Cannabis began with Cannabis Sativa and Cannabis Afghanica (originating in Afghanistan and Pakistan), more commonly known as Cannabis Sativa Var. Indica. The lesser bred C. Sativa var. Kafiristanica (modern day 'Diesel'), originating in India, has considerably low levels of CBD but high levels of both CBN and THC. Cannabis Ruderalis shows the lowest (~.09%) levels of THC and is rarely bred for uses other than hemp fiber and oil production. C. Sativa’s traditionally high-levels of THC as compared to natural levels of CBD contrast C. Afghanica’s higher CBD content.The contents of Cannabis traditionally used vary by region, though modern use mainly relies on Sensimilla, the process in which female plants are sequestered from male pollination, thus avoiding seed pods and maximizing resin and flower production (therefore THC production). When C. Afghanica and variations of C. Sativa are bred, phenotypes occur, producing favorable anomalies such as aesthetically pleasing scent and color mutations, shortened growth periods, and most desirable, controlled (high) levels of THC and CBD. From these phenotypes are bred colloquial ‘strains’, selectively reproduced for desired traits.

Edited by Triptonic (09/21/09 06:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
Re: How to tell the difference between indica and sativa [Re: Triptonic]
    #224683 - 05/09/09 01:55 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

dont forget about "Cannabis ruderalis, and Afghanica.....i would add them the ID chart too...

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: How to tell the difference between indica and sativa [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #224687 - 05/09/09 02:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

changed! lol

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #224730 - 05/09/09 07:41 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflinePFA
the guy with the thing
Male User Gallery

Loc: this is...Magyarorszag!!!
Re: How to tell the difference between indica and sativa [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #283228 - 09/20/09 09:52 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

nice!

--------------------
"apparently u cant do shit"

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to tell the difference between indica and sativa [Re: PFA]
    #283275 - 09/20/09 12:16 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Kind of have to take this with a grain of salt now a days. There are many Sativas now that are short and have shorter flowering times like the South African strains. Many indica's will have thin leaves like many of the Kush's do. Do to their large size sativa's are usually better yielders if you have the space but over 2lbs a plant is common in the Humboldt ant Mendocino areas.
As far a as sativas growing slower then indicas that is wrong. Yes they have a shorter flowering time but put a sativa next to a indica during the growing season and your gonna have a 5 to 9 foot indica plant. The sativa is gonna be over 10feet tall.

Not that any of us are gonna have to worry about running into to much sativa as pure sativa strains are becoming rarer and rarer now a days. :omgawesome:

Good post Triptonic :thumbup:

Only problem as the strains get more and more mixed up the information is gonna get harder and harder to use. :getstoned:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: How to tell the difference between indica and sativa [Re: Magash]
    #283374 - 09/20/09 04:23 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well this is only for the straight indica or sativa, not the mix between indica and sativa. But it might be easier to use this to tell which one is dominant.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #283380 - 09/20/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Indica....higher CBD than THC equals heavier, sleepy type of high. Yield is usually higher than Sativa, and shorter growing season. Better for indoor growing, because they don't get as tall.

Sativa....higher THC than CBD equals cerebral, soaring type of high, more energetic Yield is usually lower than Indica, but is very potent. eg: Thai Sativa grow taller and have a longer flowering period, so they are better suited for outdoors.

---

The CBD levels in an indica are typically higher than those in a sativa. By no means is the CBD higher than the THC in an indica. CBD levels in a very stoney plant are usually around 1%, thc can be around 20%....

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: How to tell the difference between indica and sativa [Re: captain.koons]
    #283382 - 09/20/09 04:39 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I need sources before I change things. You are probably right but I need to read it.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #283384 - 09/20/09 04:46 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

erm...

go find cbd levels higher than thc on any analysis of weed. check out greenhouse analysis's of their weed.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#283385 - 09/20/09 04:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not doin anything haha you go find it you quoted it :kingcrankey:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #283388 - 09/20/09 04:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

you're the one quoting misinformation.

White Rhino from GHSco.
THC: 13.35% CBD: 0.77% CBG: 0.27%

found here...

http://greenhouseseeds.nl/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=22

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #283390 - 09/20/09 04:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with koons.  Higher CBD in Indica, Higher THC in Sativa's,  That's what i've always known... :shrug:

The CBD is what gives you the couchlock feeling.

The THC is what gives you the soaring feeling, but this is all just IME/O.

Thought I read this somewhere though, otherwise how would I know?

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: How to tell the difference between indica and sativa [Re: Inverted]
    #283391 - 09/20/09 04:55 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ooops I meant, the CBD is higher in Indica than Sativa, But THC levels tend to be a little higher in Sativa's than with an Indica.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#283392 - 09/20/09 04:56 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

captain.koons said:
you're the one quoting misinformation.

White Rhino from GHSco.
THC: 13.35% CBD: 0.77% CBG: 0.27%

found here...

http://greenhouseseeds.nl/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=22

lol I dont care you are the one who wants me to change it. If you want me to change it you provide me with the information. No more arguing now.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#283393 - 09/20/09 04:59 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

That site that you got that from doesnt tell me anything. Just because one strain has higher THC levels than CBD doesnt mean they all do. I'm going to research this and come back with results.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #283398 - 09/20/09 05:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

This might be of interest to some of you.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Re: How to tell the difference between indica and sativa [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #283399 - 09/20/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks furrowed thats great info. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#283400 - 09/20/09 05:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm wondering what the strain was that had the high CBD levels though. Sounds like the bud I want haha.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #283567 - 09/20/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Triptonic said:
That site that you got that from doesnt tell me anything. Just because one strain has higher THC levels than CBD doesnt mean they all do. I'm going to research this and come back with results.

any of the strains on that site will have higher thc than cbd.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck