Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Ph of Soil Needs Correctting
    #278641 - 09/10/09 10:43 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ph is 5.7 need to raise it.

Would flushing with distilled(Ph 7) water help?

How do you do it?

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ph of Soil Needs Correctting [Re: KaptKid]
    #278649 - 09/10/09 10:53 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

You lower Ph by adding acidic substances to your soil, you raise Ph by adding something that's a base.  You can spend some cash and buy a bottle of Ph down.  Or, you could buy something like calcium carbonate or dolomite lime.  This little paragraph may help you understand acidity's and how they affect your plant and the difference between alkalinity and Ph.

Quote:

When we measure pH, we are measuring the concentration of hydrogen (H+) ions in the irrigation water or soil (nutrient) solution. As a guideline, water for irrigation purposes is usually best if its pH lies between 5.0 - 7.0. The measure of alkalinity gives us the water's ability to neutralize acidity. The level of bicarbonates, carbonates, and hydroxides in water determine its alkalinity. The desirable alkalinity range for irrigation water is 0 to 100 ppm carbonates, with 30 - 60 ppm optimum for most plants.

Whenever you test the water you'll be using for irrigation, you should always include the measure of both pH and alkalinity. A pH test on its own, does not give any indication of alkalinity. Water with high levels of bicarbonates or carbonates (high alkalinity) always has a pH value >7, but water with a high pH doesn't necessarily have high alkalinity. This is a very important concept because high alkalinity exerts more significant effect on plant nutrition and the fertility of growing media than pH.

High pH irrigation water generally causes no problems as long as the alkalinity is low. Since high pH water with low alkalinity has little ability to neutralize acidity, it's effect on media pH will be minimal. Cause for more concern are situations where you must utilize water having both high pH and high alkalinity for irrigation, which will cause the pH of the growing medium to increase substantially as media ages. If your water analysis is known to be alkaline, you may need to significantly reduce the addition of compounds containing Ca or Mg because of the dilute solution of limestone in the water. The smaller the container - the more serious the issue because small volumes of soil offer less buffering to pH change. In high alkaline situations, you can often expect/experience Ca and Mg deficiencies along with micronutrient deficiencies (both real and antagonistic).

*edited for stupidity on my part :P *

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ph of Soil Needs Correctting [Re: coda]
    #278673 - 09/10/09 11:20 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Coda, put that bowl down for a sec, you're gonna confuse the guy.  You lower pH by adding an acid and raise it by adding a base...I know that's just a typing error, cuz you do know your shit.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ph of Soil Needs Correctting [Re: 81renaissance]
    #278689 - 09/11/09 12:31 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

no, more like a weeks worth of sleep deprivation plus working 50 hours a week :wink:.  Thanks for pointing that out.

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

#278856 - 09/11/09 01:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I have Ph up and down.

I guess what I'm asking is if I flush with water with a higher Ph will it raise the soil Ph.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ph of Soil Needs Correctting [Re: KaptKid]
    #278941 - 09/11/09 07:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yup

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

#278997 - 09/11/09 10:10 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Cool.

I'll ck back in a few days

Thanks for the help.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom