Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

finalizing cab plans
    #261767 - 08/08/09 04:05 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

So I've been fiddling with my cab design for a while now, and think I've finally come up with a pretty workable plan. I'd like all of your input.

Air enters the cab (which'll be up on casters) via passive intake at the bottom:

Note the purple board, which acts as both a light baffle and "disperser," forcing air to flow up and around the top of it before flowing across the Drying and Mom/Clone chambers (I'm not completely sure this will work, so advice would be welcome):

After going through the bottom two chambers, air will be pulled up through the right ventilation chamber and then across the Veg chamber (I'll probably need another disperser here):

Yet another disperser/baffle will be required between Veg and Flower, of course. I got tired of "drilling" holes, so I "cut" some slits instead. Not sure which would be a better option in real life. Thoughts?

The Flower chamber probably will have slits instead of holes, since I can control the flow better in such a large space that way. Note the slit at the very top, to help keep any warm air from stagnating around the ceiling. I'll probably need a small oscillating fan in this room to really stir things up, but I'd prefer to do this whole thing without any extra fans (=extra noise!).

After being pulled out of the Flower chamber through the light, air enters the Utility chamber via 6" ducting and a carbon scrubber. The (now scrubbed) air is pulled across the electronics towards the front of the cab (perhaps assisted by the ballast's fan?) and then up through the 160 CFM exhaust fan. Whew!

Here's a shot of the whole cab:

Any thoughts, suggestions, critiques, etc. would be very welcome.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: finalizing cab plans [Re: God]
    #261790 - 08/08/09 04:53 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Holy balls.
I got nothing to say...you love sketching that grow chamber! :grin:
Did you decide against the pvc to circulate air over the plants?

This is pretty cool, my only concern is how much friction the air will generate as it passes through all those chambers and holes...I can't calculate that, so I don't know how much net cfm you're gonna get from your fan.  I've heard that 1 air exchange every 5 minutes is sufficient, but I like mine to be 1 per minute, and if that friction causes your net cfm to fall below around 80 or so, that isn't going to happen.

edit: I was looking at the pics again, what is the area of your intake?
That is probably the most important thing here in terms of the physics at work, and if that intake is too small you'll be done before you start.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Edited by 81renaissance (08/08/09 05:01 PM)

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: finalizing cab plans [Re: 81renaissance]
    #261804 - 08/08/09 05:26 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Very cool! :thumbup:

I like the design, but like 81renaissance's concern airflow (cfm) will be crucial!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: finalizing cab plans [Re: 81renaissance]
    #261812 - 08/08/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hah, yeah, I fell in love with Google's Sketchup, so I've been playing a lot.

I decided PVC would take up too much room, I think this'll work better. The intake in that picture is about 40in2 (compared to the fan's area of ~28in2), but it could be up to 50in2 if I wanted.

As far as friction between chambers goes, I thought about that a lot and decided to just put as many holes as possible.  On average, there's about 50in2 between each chamber, but I could fit more. Even so, I've considered the fact that the fan I have just might not be enough. If that's the case, I'll just have to buy another one.

I guess my main concern at this point is the drying chamber. I don't want to be pulling air through that too quickly, or they'll dry too quickly and be all harsh, bleh! By making the air flow through the drying and mom/clone chambers at the same time, I think I may have solved that problem. What do you think?

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#262119 - 08/09/09 12:06 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Also, does anyone have any input on the disperser board? I was trying to think of a way to ensure that most of the air didn't just flow through the bottom few holes, and not at all through the top few. By forcing it up to the middle of the ventilation chamber before letting it enter the mom & drying chambers, it seems like it would spread out pretty well, but any other ideas would be great.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#263293 - 08/11/09 01:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Any experienced cab growers or anyone else with an opinion on this setup out there?

Offlinelazerboner
Stranger
    #263340 - 08/11/09 03:01 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

that is impressive. i like the visuals. well done mate.

--------------------
fuck around you wont be around

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: finalizing cab plans [Re: lazerboner]
    #263504 - 08/11/09 06:30 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks lazer, glad someone's out there!

Google Sketchup is a pretty neat program, especially for being free. Great for us hobbyists/DIYers.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: finalizing cab plans [Re: lazerboner]
    #263509 - 08/11/09 06:39 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: finalizing cab plans [Re: Magash]
    #263680 - 08/12/09 12:11 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Very cool design, Magash. If only I had the funds for all those fans... Stealth is also a major factor, so less is more as far as fans go, assuming I can get adequate ventilation.
Are there carbon filters before each exhaust hole, or one big one on the outside that they all go through?

I'm glad to see my idea of drilling holes between chambers is feasible. My only concern there is, with air entering from the bottom instead if the side, I have to find a way to keep the air from just flowing through the bottom few holes. I guess even if it did, it'd be pulled diagonally across the chamber due to the pressure coming from the top right. Regardless, do you think that disperser board will accomplish what I'm looking for? Thanks for your input.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #264006 - 08/12/09 06:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Are there carbon filters before each exhaust hole, or one big one on the outside that they all go through?
I had accauss to a bunch of em so I had one before each hole but one big one will work just as well.

Regardless, do you think that disperser board will accomplish what I'm looking for? Thanks for your input.  From the looks of what you have up it looks like it should work. :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies