Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetophernotsocool
Friend of Earth
Male

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
early flower for short plants
    #253974 - 07/24/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

if i start from seed rather than clone, could i still veg a plant to about 4-6 inches and then start flowering? would it even be able to bud/flower that young?
if so what is the youngest and shortest that you can start the flower cycle?

[i know your supposed to wait till alternating nodes but in this case i want realllly short plants.]

and if so, what are the benefits besides saving space and what are the deficits besides a small yield?

someone told me if you flower way to short you always get hermies or just more likely.

--------------------
"and take me disappearing, through the smoke rings of my mind,
down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
the haunted frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
far from the twisted reach, of crazy sorrow.
yes the dance, beneath the diamond sky, with one hand waving free,
silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
with all memory and fate, driven deep beneath the waves,
let me forget about today, until tomorrow."~bob dylan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: early flower for short plants [Re: tophernotsocool]
    #253988 - 07/24/09 03:12 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

IME, Alternating nodes are already the first step into flowering. So at this piont it has already started to flower naturally. As far as flowering at 4-6 inches that maybe to stressful and cause them to hermie out? I think the plant should be 8-10 inches or more and at least be past the 7-8 leaf nodes. Anything under this i do not know personally.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineJohnny420

Re: early flower for short plants [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #253993 - 07/24/09 03:20 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

There are successful grows out there with just 12/12 from seed, but for best results it's got to be the tried and tested method above.

Alternating nodes means it's mature. Also if you veg for longer you end up with a better root system. More roots = More buds! :laugh:

If you really just want short plants to grow fast maybe look at the lowryder x blueberry crosses out there. I hear they are pretty decent in potency.

--------------------
:jah: :baggy: WE HIT THE TREES TILL WE LOOK VIETNAMESE :baggy: :jah:

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: early flower for short plants [Re: Johnny420]
    #254000 - 07/24/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

lowlife seeds offer auto flowering varieties that will do nothing but bud. The yields are low due to the small sized plants and the plants themselves have been between 10-16 inches tall. You will only get about 7-14 grams per plant though IME(outdoor). Blueberry crosses have been used for years in SoG set ups because of the small nature of the plants.
Check out my thread for pictures of these plants. Auto flowering white russian, and blueberry X. Earlier on i had no idea of the genetics of these plants so did some local research through friends and found out they were white russian and blueberry cross.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Offlinebobby
TheKushFiles
Male User Gallery

Loc: upper sedimentary rock
Re: early flower for short plants [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #254035 - 07/24/09 04:26 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

before i got good at cloning, i'd flower once they had a few nodes, and most often i ended up with a plant no bigger then a foot tall, i'd get anywhere from 10 grams to just over a half. i'd do this in 8 inch pots. Genetics have ALOT to do with it though.

--------------------

Offlinetophernotsocool
Friend of Earth
Male

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
Re: early flower for short plants [Re: bobby]
    #254138 - 07/24/09 07:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well right now ive got bag seed mids. they seem to have good genetics seeing how they bush out and grow huge and healthy under cheap 40watt floro tubes, 24" estimated; there giants considering the crap lights.

alternating is part of flowering? well the 2 highest nodes on each plant are pretty well alternated and i havent switched to 12/12 yet...

i also have 10 northern light seeds and 5 mazar seeds, i was hoping i could grow them REALLY short because growing tall and large works fine for the veg period but when it comes time to flower and they get bigger and bigger; it seems the floro tubes arnt efficient enough but its the system im sticking with.

i just wanted to know if they will or will not bud at a short height without being mature or alternated, so 8 inches and/or 7 nodes; is this a census agreement?

edit: i wont mind hermies, i was hoping to do a seed production run at first anyway and hermies with females supposedly makes feminized seeds.
[not going to clone, my methods are pretty crude, potting soil, tap water, cheap lights, a fan and some miracle grow THATS IT, ive had good results so far]

Edited by tophernotsocool (07/24/09 07:30 PM)

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: early flower for short plants [Re: tophernotsocool]
    #254149 - 07/24/09 07:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tophernotsocool said:
if i start from seed rather than clone, could i still veg a plant to about 4-6 inches and then start flowering? would it even be able to bud/flower that young?
if so what is the youngest and shortest that you can start the flower cycle?

[i know your supposed to wait till alternating nodes but in this case i want realllly short plants.]

and if so, what are the benefits besides saving space and what are the deficits besides a small yield?

someone told me if you flower way to short you always get hermies or just more likely.

alternating nodes means the plant has reached sexual maturity and has the capability of flowering.  trying to flower seed grown plants before this stage will not be beneficial.  clones are always already at this stage and are good to go.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

Re: early flower for short plants [Re: Yrat]
    #254561 - 07/25/09 06:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I would say it would depend on if you have good root system going on or not. The light from the flowering stage may kill a plant with a under developed root system

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies