Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Female Bananas??? New Development! Need GOOD advice!!!
    #251334 - 07/19/09 12:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So I was examining my girls earlier and I found female bananas growing directly out of the buds of the only TRUE female I have. They're only appearing on the lower buds (the ones below the kola on the lower branches).
What to do? I thought female bananas appear only after the buds are past full maturity. All the trichomes are still pretty clear. I taste tested a lower branch yesterday and it got me BLAZED. So far they are 6 weeks into flowering. I expected at least another 2 before harvest.
Any opinions?

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Female Bananas??? New Development! Need GOOD advice!!! [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #251336 - 07/19/09 12:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

WTF? Female banana's?

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Female Bananas??? New Development! Need GOOD advice!!! [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #251337 - 07/19/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Apparently female bananas appear after the buds are past full maturity and anything that gets pollinated from them is supposed to result in feminized seeds. At least thats what I've read in a couple of other posts on here.
Do a search for "Rodelization" and you'll see what I mean. I really don't think it's from stress though. They've had perfect growing conditions since day 1.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Edited by DrGreenThumb (07/19/09 12:22 PM)

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #251340 - 07/19/09 12:37 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

HAHA, ok well i guess i never grew any of mine to past prime to see these "female bananas" but i would say more like its hermaphrodite more then having banana's :lol:. And i have read about feminized seeds, and they are produced by hermaphrodite. Your banana's are pollen pods!

--------------------

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #251345 - 07/19/09 12:46 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

:rofl2: BANANAS!!!:rofl:

......forget what you read @ wherever about feemale bananas.....i cant see the pic very well but its probably a hermie (male pollen sac forming)....if it pollinates itself you will get femmed seeds:banana: (which is good for future grows, yet not so awsome for the present harvest)....just leave it go, sometimes these pop up for no reason or even mild stress or fluctuation of something during flowering.........is it a stable genetic strain? good femmed seeds go for like 10$ per seed

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Female Bananas??? New Development! Need GOOD advice!!! [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #251349 - 07/19/09 12:55 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So I win either way right? They're at the center of the pic.

--------------------

Edited by DrGreenThumb (07/19/09 12:56 PM)

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #251352 - 07/19/09 01:03 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, pretty much unless you were trying to score sensimilla:bigjoint:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Female Bananas??? New Development! Need GOOD advice!!! [Re: Dr. Siekadellyk]
    #251354 - 07/19/09 01:06 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

It just sounds kinds of odd to me. I had a dozen plants and 9 were male. So the other 3 are hermie? Just dosen't make much sense to me. :shrug:
SpaceMonkey, I know what pollen pods are. I was born at night but it wasn't last night. :dumbhunter:

--------------------

Edited by DrGreenThumb (07/19/09 01:10 PM)

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #251355 - 07/19/09 01:07 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

were they bagseed?

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #251356 - 07/19/09 01:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

In order for the feminized seeds to be worth while, your going to have to wait till they mature and from the looks of them buds, don't think u will be able to wait that long. So if it pollinates your girls, your going to have a bunch of scrap seeds littered through out your buds which won't be too cool.

If you have enough time for the seeds to mature before harvest, then let them be. If not going to have the time to let the seeds mature then i would get rid of them "female banana's".

--------------------

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #251357 - 07/19/09 01:11 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
In order for the feminized seeds to be worth while, your going to have to wait till they mature and from the looks of them buds, don't think u will be able to wait that long. So if it pollinates your girls, your going to have a bunch of scrap seeds littered through out your buds which won't be too cool.

If you have enough time for the seeds to mature before harvest, then let them be. If not going to have the time to let the seeds mature then i would get rid of them "female banana's".

yeah they did show up a little late in flowering....you could always cut the bananas off.....:lol:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #251360 - 07/19/09 01:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah Dr. Seik, they came from a big bag of Sensi Star. Classic Sensi Star buds, tiny seeds, etc, etc, etc. Is it possible the seeds were produced from a hermie? It was grown indoor originally.

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #251362 - 07/19/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

anything is possible

Hermie seeds usually end up female!

With growing, you run the chances of having male or female, just the luck of the draw so to speak.

Last year i had a terrible time of it too. Out of the probably 20 seeds, i probably got 3 females the rest were male.

--------------------

Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #251366 - 07/19/09 01:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

the strain could be just unstable depending on where you got it from, but there could be other possibilities of why they hermied on you.......but thats why i would like to hear a little about your setup in that other thread of yours or even start a log on your next grow.....no hurries tho....:gethigh:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

Offlinesupersiege
Strangerer

#255403 - 07/26/09 10:42 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

ok greenthumb heres the skinny although a bit hard to see under the lights it definatly looks like you have the famed "banana pod" this is caused by a few reasons 1)it can be induced using aspirin in your feed aspirin contains a natural hormone stimulant that causes female diodecious plants to create male sex glands 2)From a plant being stressed from over/under watering over fertilized so on and so on anything that can make the plant think that it may die, and on indoor plants this can happen alot easier as the plants not had to deal with many harsh environment anyways when this happens creating those pollen pods is a way of nature ensuring the strain will continue next season the 3) way ive seen this is when the flowering is almost complete the plant detects its unpollinated buds and again in an attempt to continue theyll pop up

in about half or 75% of cases the pollen that these create is unviable and will not impregnate your plants but some times they will. The first time this happened to me was my first time with aeroponics and i mixed the feed a little off and my plants did not agree, i was unaware that this could even happen and i didnt realize what was going on until i saw seeds developing!!! so in scared furry i whacked my 6 1/2 ft lady down about 3 weeks early because there were so many of these pods i would never been able to stop it and i had let most of them already open this i now belive to been a mistake because i was left with 4 oz of crap and although sensimilla it wasnt pleasure to smoke so dont whack those ladies!!!

now that im well aware of what those are if i ever see them and as you know they definatly look alot different than the normal growth i cut them out with a small pair of scissors as soon as possible trying to get as close to the bottom of the pod as possible. now after the plant starts producing them its not going to stop so you will have to check over your whole plant atleast every two days to prevent one from opening up. If you miss one and it opens usually just the immediate area of the pod will make seeds if the pollen works but just to be safe if one opens give it a cpl squirts of water as that will disable the pollen just becareful not to spray too much and invite mold. Now the pollen that is in the pods is also used to make feminized seeds however the seeds produced by the plant with the pods will not be 100% femmed but any seeds produced by plants around the one with the pods will be femmed. Feminized seeds can be great but what they dont tell you is that since the seeds were created by forcing a hermaphrodite there is a higher risk that the resulting plants will do the same.

anyways i see its been a week but i hopefully its not too late if it is id suggest just letting the plant develop the seeds and use them for next time those last couple weeks are a big part of the thc development as the crystals amberize.  hope this helps and also one last note the strain can play a big role in likliehood that this will happen everytime

OfflineJohnny420

Re: Female Bananas??? New Development! Need GOOD advice!!! [Re: supersiege]
    #256177 - 07/27/09 02:29 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Few days late, but I'm sure i remember Magash sayin something on the subject of this.

Apparantly this is how Soma makes his feminized seeds. If you let the plant go past maturity it creates pollen sacks. The only problem is that you cant tell if it's a stable strain and just it's natural course, or if it had hermie tendancies from the start.

--------------------
:jah: :baggy: WE HIT THE TREES TILL WE LOOK VIETNAMESE :baggy: :jah:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order