Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBratcat
Interested Obssesive
Female

Loc: south of there
Very First Attempt
    #248209 - 07/11/09 02:49 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hi all,
  Have been checkin out online info for a couple of weeks, different sites, I had a hard time understanding most of what was said, till I ended up here...... WOW!
  So now I'm here and would like to know if I'm doing this right.
Have just transplanted my very first baby, it looks good to me but now what? I'm clueless what to do next. Do I just let it go and it will do everything on its own? Roughly how long till she blooms? I topped it once while it was in its first pot,but I'm afraid I didnt take enough, will that matter?  and cleared out some of the bigger leaves on the very bottom of the plant as they seemed to be not as green as the rest and getting a wilted look. At first I was taking it outside then bringing it in at night. Now its about 2 feet tall and  I'm keeping it outside.
Anyway, I think thats enough question for now, I have alot more but its good for a start.
  Ok guys, what do you think?

Brat.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
Basic Directions [Re: Bratcat]
    #248260 - 07/11/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome to the Growery! :gethigh:

While you should really spend some serious time reading various sources in order to gain a good understanding of the cannabis plant's life cycle in order to produce high quality bud, here's a brief summary that will address your questions.  I've cut and pasted a good portion of this information from other responses I've posted here on the Growery.

Topping involves cutting off the main stem of the plant which allows the two lower stems to become main stems, and generally for the plant to become bushier instead of having a tall and skinny profile.  Since there is often no height restriction when growing outdoors and the sun provides plenty of light for the plant top to bottom, you shouldn't have to worry about topping.  Topping is typically more advantageous for an indoor grow, in order to allow plants to fit into smaller spaces as well as to even out the canopy layer so that more main branches (i.e. bud sites) are making efficient use of your light by being closer to it.

You seem to be well on your way, so if your plant has lasted this long, you shouldn't have too much trouble wrapping things up.  Now that the plant is outdoors, it will be maturing on nature's time, so depending on where you live and the characteristics of the strain you are growing, I would expect to harvest your flowers in September or October.  If you are in a colder climate, do your best to harvest your plants before the first frost.  If it rains, wait for the plants to lose the excess moisture prior to harvest in order to avoid fungal/mold contamination during the drying/cure process.

The pistils on a marijuana plant can often "ripen" brown or red or orange well before the bud has reached its optimal maturity.  Pistil color and shape is highly variable based on both the strain and environmental conditions for your plant, and cannot be relied on as a method to determine when to harvest, especially as a plant can often pump out a new round of fresh pistils mid-way through the flowering process.

What should be relied on as an indicator of maturity, are the trichomes (or resin glands).  They are much smaller than the pistils and reflect light to make your bud appear shiny or dank.  Sometimes referred to as crystals.  These small resinous glands will begin their journey for the most part clear, and as the flowers mature, the resin glands will begin to cloud over and ultimately turn amber in color.

You may need a magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe to adequately access the condition of your resin glands, as they are quite small.  Generally speaking, a good time to harvest is anytime between the point that a good portion of your resin glands have started to cloud over or are beginning to turn amber.  The rule of thumb is that the earlier your harvest (before the amber stage sets in), the more psychedelic-cerebral THC you'll have in your end product; versus waiting for more amber glands, which results in more of the THC being converted into various more sedative cannabinoid compounds.

Here's a graphic example that I pulled from Google Images:

If you are not already, you should be feeding your plant.  When you begin fertilizing, use half of the recommended strength until you are in tune to your plant's needs.  Fertilizers commonly list three numbers: N-P-K for Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium.  Plants in vegetative growth should be fed a fertilizer that has a slightly higher N component than P or K (example: 15-10-10).  When flowering, you should switch to a fertilizer that offers a higher P component (example: 10-15-10).

Plants should be fed throughout flowering, though you may wish to stop the feeding about two weeks prior to harvest, so that the plant can have time to metabolize the last batch of nutrients which will allow the end product to have a better taste than if you had just given it a full dose of nutes immediately prior to harvest.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom