Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger
quick perlite medium question
    #237513 - 06/08/09 04:49 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I am about to embarq on my first grow (not first ever. grow shrooms, pedro, dagga regularly).  i want to use pure perlite as a growing medium, as a leftover bag of perlite from my shroom grow is all i have left. Do you have any advice on how i should prepare or plant the germinated seed into the perlite? i have no access to rockwool cubes or anything of the sort, but a big area to grow in. tips on things i should pay attention to and things i should avoid doing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: quick perlite medium question [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #237514 - 06/08/09 06:12 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Unless you have a hydro setup, I'd go out and get some regular soil a la Fox Farm. Do you have any hydroponic nutrients? Probably not if you're using leftovers. Using "leftovers" is not the way to go when growing anything!

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger
Re: quick perlite medium question [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #237518 - 06/08/09 06:52 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

no money to get any soil. i have the lights already so thats a plus. i have about $5 to my name so buying anything is out of the question sadly. when i get my paycheck i can buy nutes. its not used leftover perlite.. its a full unopened bag that i never got around to using.  i have no nutes to speak of but i could macguyver something, or borrow some plant nutes from a lady i know that grows house plants.

Offlinedieselkush

#237540 - 06/08/09 10:03 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

id say maybe, if you had correct nutes possibly. the nutes give the plant what it takes out of the soil. so if u have no soil to start with the nutes should make up for that. but im no expert. perlite is real crumbly in my opinion. you could try, mj plants are pretty forgiving depending on what strain I guess. ive had many that took alot of trial and error and came out great. but then again ive had a few that would do terrible if the light was off a bit or got overwatered a little. if you think it will work go for it. id scavenge for materials etc. before starting it though. get some nutes, good lighting wether it be cfl,hps etc. try and find some soil. maybe even get some from the back yard or something and add in perlite..

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: quick perlite medium question [Re: dieselkush]
    #237660 - 06/08/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

This one is pretty funny. :lol:
Are you making a joke or are you serious?
If you're serious the answer is "don't start growing yet".
Perlite has 0 nutrients, and it won't sustain ANY growth.
Hydro will cost you more than soil IMO, and if you'd like to know the basics of what you need, I'll be happy to help you, but from where you are NOW, you can't grow.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #237667 - 06/08/09 03:53 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

if you can get access to some nutrients then perlite is one of the best growing mediums out there. However, you HAVE to have nutrients or your plants won't survive a week.

So I guess it's your choice, pick up some nutrients and go with the perlite, or forget the nutrients and go with soil.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: quick perlite medium question [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #237780 - 06/08/09 09:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yep growing in perlite AKA the hempy bucket.  This method requires feeding your plants every other day and there's no way around it.  As for transferring a clone to the medium, peat pellets are cheap and readily available.

As for the nutes, as already stated, if you don't have an adequate supply I'd just wait it out until you do.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: quick perlite medium question [Re: coda]
    #237860 - 06/09/09 02:01 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for all of your advice.  The reason i want to grow in straight perlite is because im going to be growing them in my shroom growing room for 02/co2 benefits and because of convenience. im afraid of growing in soil in my shroom room because of contams lurking and growing in the soil. my paycheck is coming in later today, so if anybody could direct me to some cheap nutes that i could pick up at wal mart, lowes, home depot, or ace hardware that would be great. giving daily attention to my plants isnt something that is going to bother me... i give my shrooms attention multiple times a day so im used to it.  to give you an idea, its a 1/2 bathroom with a big walk-in closet in it with stairstep shelves.  i have never used that bathroom before so i sterilized the crap out of it and set up my mycology lab back there. i am going to be growing the plants in the closet inside that bathroom.

OfflineJeff Funk
 User Gallery

#237898 - 06/09/09 10:05 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Well if you are gonna be using this perlite in a hydro setup, you need nutes from a hydroponic store or website. I'm positive neither one of those stores will have what you need. I think you need to do some more research b4 you start.

--------------------
@Str8dankgenetics

Offlinebobby
TheKushFiles
Male User Gallery

Loc: upper sedimentary rock
Re: quick perlite medium question [Re: Jeff Funk]
    #237934 - 06/09/09 11:57 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

yeah dude, less u have a a hydo store, ya gonna have to some online shoping. And as far as using perlite- good stuff. Used it on my first hydro grow using the wick method.

--------------------

Offlinedieselkush

Re: quick perlite medium question [Re: 81renaissance]
    #237956 - 06/09/09 12:37 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

lol i was serious. its basicly growing hydro, it would just be a medium to hold the plant. the nutes would provide the nutirents.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: quick perlite medium question [Re: dieselkush]
    #238446 - 06/10/09 08:19 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

How do you expect to buy nutes with $5??? GO OUTSIDE AND DIG UP SUM DIRT!!! It's all around us, easy to get, and FREE.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #238537 - 06/11/09 01:58 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
How do you expect to buy nutes with $5??? GO OUTSIDE AND DIG UP SUM DIRT!!! It's all around us, easy to get, and FREE.

and full of pests.

never bring soil from outside your home inside. you're just asking for spider mites and tons of other stuff....

IF YOU HAD TO... bring it inside something heat resistant (id use polybags or a pot for cooking) and bake the shit out of it right away.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: quick perlite medium question [Re: captain.koons]
    #238552 - 06/11/09 04:47 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I guess we don't have that soil problem this far North. I've never had a problem with pests; maybe I'm just lucky but I doubt it. I love using dirt from the riverbank and my babies love it too.

--------------------

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #238633 - 06/11/09 03:01 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

If you can dig your soil you'll have gnats, spider mites, and other nasty things.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: quick perlite medium question [Re: captain.koons]
    #238636 - 06/11/09 03:11 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Unless it frum the washout! That's what I'm tellin' U.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck