Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoxalic32
Male
Plants Bending
    #232092 - 05/26/09 09:21 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have my seedlings in cups outside. A few of them a bending (maybe to get light). They are in a patch of light but that light may move throughout the day. Anything i can do to fix bending? They are still very young. Not all of them are doing it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Plants Bending [Re: oxalic32]
    #232093 - 05/26/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

move them to a brighter spot? 

longer exposure to direct sunlight is better.  from your description, it sounds as if they are in partial shade and get spotty sunlight throughout the day.  this could very well be the reason for the lanky stems.  your guess of stretching for light is probably correct.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlineoxalic32
Male
Re: Plants Bending [Re: Yrat]
    #234003 - 05/29/09 06:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

12.3 Light

Marijuana is a sun plant. The plants will grow in partially shaded areas, but about five hours of direct sunlight are needed for development into a lush bush. Marijuana does best when it has direct sunlight all day. If it grows at all in a heavily shaded area, it will be dwarfed and sparse - a shadow of its potential.

Try to choose a place that maximises light. Flat areas get the most sunlight, but many growers prefer to use slops and hillsides which help to hide the plants. Southern slops usually receive more sun and stronger light than eastern and western slops, which are shaded in the afternoon and morning, respectively. Northern slopes are rarely used, since they get the least sunlight and are also the coldest. Steeper slops are shaded sooner than gradual slopes, and lower areas are shaded earlier than high ones.

Sunlight at high altitudes is more intense, because of the thinner atmosphere and the usually lower pollution. The atmosphere and pollutants at lower elevations absorb and scatter some of the solar radiation.

Backyard gardeners usually compromise between the need for maximum light and the need for subterfuge. An area that gets several hours of direct sunlight and bright unobstructed daylight for the rest of the day will do well. A garden exposed to the south usually gets the strongest light and is the warmest. Overhanging vegetation should be pruned so that the plants are shaded as little as possible.

Most marijuana strains are acclimated to tropical and semitropical latitudes, where the daytime is relatively short (10 to 14 hours, depending on season), but the sunlight is quite strong. At latitudes in the United States, the sun is not as intense (although in the summer the difference is small), but the days are longer, and the plants can grow extremely fast. It is not true that intense sunlight is needed to grow great marijuana. However, a summer characterised by clear sunny weather will usually produce a larger and slightly more potent crop than if the season is cloudy and rainy.

Sunlight can be maximised by adequate spacing and orientation of the garden. This is covered in section 14.

From Here

What time of day is the best day to check for good light?

Offlineblunt master
up in smoke
Male

Loc: NY
Re: Plants Bending [Re: oxalic32]
    #238089 - 06/09/09 06:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I would say noon is the best time since the sun is directly overhead. I'm not positive though, someone correct me if I'm wrong

Offlinefarmerjoe
Stranger

Re: Plants Bending [Re: blunt master]
    #239103 - 06/13/09 07:41 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

When I picked my spots this year I visited 3 times...at 7am...high noon around 1 or 2...and again around 7 pm...this worked great for me and this way I had no doubt that my plants are getting well over the 5hr minimum of sunlight exposure.  It worked for me but everyone is different.

Offlinefarmerjoe
Stranger

Re: Plants Bending [Re: farmerjoe]
    #239107 - 06/13/09 08:02 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

From my experience (if you can't find a place that gets full sun all day) morning sun is always the best...especially if you can find a spot that doesn't lose direct sun until after high noon..at this point the sun is at its peak in the sky and is at its hottest. Hope this helps out.

OfflineBuddy
Mr.
Male

Re: Plants Bending [Re: farmerjoe]
    #244338 - 06/29/09 08:01 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Where I am you really wanna go out a few times during the day. You could throw a few markers of where the shaddow line caused by your house or whatever is throughout the day. Then pick a spot outside it. Although if you just went and had a few looks through the day you'll know.

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies