Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: C3R3AL KiLLRx]
    #177759 - 01/08/09 09:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

still yeah more blue = hps better for veg

it still won't compare to ceramic metal halides or metal halides.... if you have a dedicated veg room/area

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecheapskate
Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: captain.koons]
    #193067 - 02/06/09 11:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

First post!

As my name indicates, I am a very frugal grower.

I started out in DWC, and 5+ years later, guess what, still DWC.  It's so easy a caveman could do it.

I have also come to the conclusion that it is NOT NECESSARY to change your nutrient solution during a grow.  Personally I change my res between grows for practical reasons, but I have talked to dudes who have successfully ran 6+ bloom cycles in the same res using only lucas formula addbacks.

So, here's what you need to do DWC, aside from the stuff you'll need for any other kind of hydro system: the reservoir, sturdy lid for reservoir, net pots, hydroton, an aquarium air pump or two, and some airline tubing.  Even the net pots and hydroton are negotiable.  Note I also left out air stones.  You don't really need them, either.

If you are DIY capable to the extent of being able to fit a hole saw to a drill and brace/lightproof the res itself you can make your own setup.

The downfall of many newb DWC'ers is temperature.  Keeping your water 75 degrees or less (i consider around 70 ideal) can be tricky, during the summer i find that keeping some water frozen in 2liter bottles can come in mighty handy, especially in the early stages when the canopy hasn't developed enough to shade the rez.  Tin foil on the lid can help reflect heat as well.

I like to remind people what they're growing; folks don't call it "weed" for nothing.  It is very very easy to obsess over every little thing and end up overreacting and screwing your plants up.

Cheers!

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: cheapskate]
    #193074 - 02/07/09 12:24 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

so you just top off your reservoir with more lucas formula?

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Offlinecheapskate
Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: captain.koons]
    #193086 - 02/07/09 01:58 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yessir, simple as that.

Offlinemattyyy
Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: cheapskate]
    #193233 - 02/07/09 10:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

cheapskate said:
First post!

As my name indicates, I am a very frugal grower.

I started out in DWC, and 5+ years later, guess what, still DWC.  It's so easy a caveman could do it.

I have also come to the conclusion that it is NOT NECESSARY to change your nutrient solution during a grow.  Personally I change my res between grows for practical reasons, but I have talked to dudes who have successfully ran 6+ bloom cycles in the same res using only lucas formula addbacks.

So, here's what you need to do DWC, aside from the stuff you'll need for any other kind of hydro system: the reservoir, sturdy lid for reservoir, net pots, hydroton, an aquarium air pump or two, and some airline tubing.  Even the net pots and hydroton are negotiable.  Note I also left out air stones.  You don't really need them, either.

If you are DIY capable to the extent of being able to fit a hole saw to a drill and brace/lightproof the res itself you can make your own setup.

The downfall of many newb DWC'ers is temperature.  Keeping your water 75 degrees or less (i consider around 70 ideal) can be tricky, during the summer i find that keeping some water frozen in 2liter bottles can come in mighty handy, especially in the early stages when the canopy hasn't developed enough to shade the rez.  Tin foil on the lid can help reflect heat as well.

I like to remind people what they're growing; folks don't call it "weed" for nothing.  It is very very easy to obsess over every little thing and end up overreacting and screwing your plants up.

Cheers!

is that one of your plants?

Offlinecheapskate
Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: mattyyy]
    #194755 - 02/11/09 02:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

why yes it is, that's LUI at about 35 days, i'll try to get an update pic up later.

OfflineFunWiThFunGuS

Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: fantasy2reality]
    #201921 - 03/02/09 09:42 PM (15 years, 29 days ago)

DWC was my first hydro grow and I got awesome results from it. Super easy! I used 2 plants per 5 gal bucket and had pretty good results. You just have to add/change solution more often and keep an eye on them until you find out the consumption/evaporation rate of the solution. Oh and run a fish pump.

Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: FunWiThFunGuS]
    #208673 - 03/25/09 11:50 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

if you want cheap, easy, and good, i'd go with handwatered coco.  my first full grow ever, i did handwatered coco with h3ad's formula (i can explain if you want) and go this:

no equipment to fail, no technical stuff to mess up, no additives needed, just fast growth and really good buds.  and its extremely cheap to run too.

Offlinepong
Male User Gallery

Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: yellownotepad]
    #208803 - 03/25/09 04:17 PM (15 years, 6 days ago)

how often did you have to water those coco planters?

--------------------
MARIJUANNNANNANNNANNNANNNANNANNANNNNNANANANAAAAAAAAA!!!!

MY GROW

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: pong]
    #208808 - 03/25/09 04:23 PM (15 years, 6 days ago)

daily.  you dont let coco dry out ever.

Offlinepong
Male User Gallery

#208810 - 03/25/09 04:32 PM (15 years, 6 days ago)

im thinking about doing a hempy grow.  my plants are seedlings now and i am coming close to descision time.

have you seen any coco/hempy comparisons?

--------------------

MY GROW

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: best, easiest set up for noobs [Re: pong]
    #208813 - 03/25/09 04:36 PM (15 years, 6 days ago)

i haven't, but i highly recommend coco if for no other reasons than 1)its not sketchy as hell if you throw it in the yard or trash (perlite screams IM GROWING STUFF)  and 2)coco is reusable for a couple grows.  also h3ad formula in coco is good because you actually WANT to use tap water, the impurities are helpful.

Offlinepong
Male User Gallery

#208835 - 03/25/09 05:44 PM (15 years, 6 days ago)

have any links on that h3ad formula notepad?

i am not worried about the sketchiness factor man but the coco seems interesting.

who knows maybe ill do half coco half hempy just to see whats up haha.

--------------------

MY GROW

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds