Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
California Assembly Receives its First Marijuana Legalization Bill by Tom Ammiano
    #199471 - 02/23/09 08:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The first marijuana legalization bill ever introduced in California is finally on the table.

"With the state in the midst of an historic economic crisis, the
move towards regulating and taxing marijuana is simply common
sense. This legislation would generate much needed revenue for
the state, restrict access to only those over 21, end the environ-
mental damage to our public lands from illicit crops, and improve
public safety by redirecting law enforcement efforts to more serious
crimes", Assemblyman Ammiano said. "California has the
opportunity to be the first state in the nation to enact a smart,
responsible public policy for the control and regulation of marijuana."

"As introduced, Ammiano's measure would allow for the licensed
production and sale of cannabis to consumers age 21 and over.
Licensed cultivators would pay an excise tax of $50 per ounce of
cannabis. In addition, the proposal would impose a sales tax on
commercial sales. (Ammiano's proposal would not affect the
state's medical marijuana law, allowing patients and caregivers to
grow their own medicine.)

If enacted, the measure would raise over $1 billion per year in state
revenue, according to an economic analysis by California NORML,
available online here."

--> Click Here to read the whole story!

I would encourage everyone in California to write your representative in support of Assemblyman Ammiano's bill.  Those of you not in California may want to write your representatives and use this legalization and its stated objectives in support of promoting legalization in your own state.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

Re: California Assembly Receives its First Marijuana Legalization Bill by Tom Ammiano [Re: geokills]
    #199472 - 02/23/09 08:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

vote for this bill if you are a sheep. the tax is retarded.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Re: California Assembly Receives its First Marijuana Legalization Bill by Tom Ammiano [Re: usg543]
    #199572 - 02/24/09 10:35 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face...

An ounce is somewhere between 100 - 200 individual servings of marijuana (I can definitely get a good high lasting a couple of hours off of 0.14g in my vaporizer, which is how I use the product 90% of the time). Therefore, a ~$0.35 imposed tax per session is not terribly unreasonable considering that tobacco in California is being taxed at $1.01 per pack.  Conjoin this with the fact that the bill still allows for those of us with a doctor's recommendation to grow our own freely without any tax and I don't see what the big deal is?

One of the primary arguments in favor of legalization is increased tax revenue, and while I certainly don't mind low taxes, I am a tax-paying citizen of this country and am mindful of the financial problems facing our governments.  $0.25 - $0.50 of tax per session is fine by me when it allows for the completely legal age-restricted use of marijuana across the state.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: California Assembly Receives its First Marijuana Legalization Bill by Tom Ammiano [Re: geokills]
    #199592 - 02/24/09 01:25 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
Don't cut off your nose to spite your face...

An ounce is somewhere between 100 - 200 individual servings of marijuana (I can definitely get a good high lasting a couple of hours off of 0.14g in my vaporizer, which is how I use the product 90% of the time). Therefore, a ~$0.35 imposed tax per session is not terribly unreasonable considering that tobacco in California is being taxed at $1.01 per pack.  Conjoin this with the fact that the bill still allows for those of us with a doctor's recommendation to grow our own freely without any tax and I don't see what the big deal is?

One of the primary arguments in favor of legalization is increased tax revenue, and while I certainly don't mind low taxes, I am a tax-paying citizen of this country and am mindful of the financial problems facing our governments.  $0.25 - $0.50 of tax per session is fine by me when it allows for the completely legal age-restricted use of marijuana across the state.

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Invisibleusg543
◕‿◕

#199667 - 02/24/09 05:57 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

the tax is unconstitutional. i will cut off my nose to spite my face if i want to. this bill is fail.

and the taxes on cigarettes is ridiculous anyhow. i don't see how anyone can afford to smoke. marijuana will be the same way if we allow them to tax it. they will just keep increasing it and increasing it. they'll say marijuana causes people to be lazy and will hurt the economy because people will be less efficient at work and all that bullshit. luckily you CAN grow weed in your own home easily, so the tax can be circumvented and will be.

and don't give me that "i'm a tax paying citizen" bullshit, like it's a noble or honorable thing (not saying i like freeloaders). where are your taxes going? mostly being wasted on this new stimulus that isn't going to stimulate anything and will put a greater financial burden on your friendly neighborhood taxpayers for years to come. and let's not forget all the great things the United States has been doing (like recently sending more troops to the Middle East), thanks for contributing your tax dollars. You're still just a rat in a cage no matter how you want to look at it.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: California Assembly Receives its First Marijuana Legalization Bill by Tom Ammiano [Re: usg543]
    #199960 - 02/25/09 05:44 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i'm amazed that you don't want mj LEGALIZED because you don't want to pay a little tax on it.

you realize that if it is legalized, the price will probably drop by 90%, meaning that even with a $50 tax/oz, it will be much cheaper than it is now.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

#200015 - 02/25/09 03:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Click Here for CNN Video Coverage on this story.

To summarize this video's conclusions:
  • $1 Billion in law enforcement savings
  • >= $1.3 Billion in tax revenue
  • Cutting the street price of pot by 50%!
  • Increased public consumption of between 32 - 40% tax depending

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

InvisibleCody
Male

Loc: South East USA
    #200242 - 02/26/09 12:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'd rather be taxed for this then arrested. Thats just my opinion though. :tongue2:

--------------------
Also known as Heineken on The Shroomery

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Re: California Assembly Receives its First Marijuana Legalization Bill by Tom Ammiano [Re: Cody]
    #200251 - 02/26/09 01:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cody said:
I'd rather be taxed for this then arrested. Thats just my opinion though. :tongue2:

Seconded!

I love this plant and would gladly pay the government to repeal this draconian prohibition. I realize and agree that it should be totally free to grow and smoke as you please, but it just isn't practical. Everything we buy is taxed heavily, why would weed be any different? As far as how our government wastes our tax dollars, that goes without saying; any bureaucracy since ancient Greece has been plagued with fiscal difficulty, its the nature of the beast.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds