Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesh4d0ws
How to know if female has been pollinated
    #188967 - 01/24/09 11:20 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I went to Puerto Vallarta mexico in november, smoked some DAMN good dope..found some seeds in it, brought em back in my suitcase

now we're here , 2 months later. I planted 2 seeds. One plant was male (I cut it the male down , and I have two flowering branches that I cut and set in water so that I have a constant supply of pollen. I let some pollen collect up on a piec of paper, and then took my finger and directly rubbed it on a few buds..I also took the flowering branch and rubbed it around on some buds aswell..I wasn't really sure what I was doing

Now, my female has started to DANK, it has a large amount of trichome production, and on some buds the hair is starting to wither and turn brown/orange

now, my question..is there anyway I can tell (before I see seeds popping out) that my female was succesfully pollinated because I'm a little bit worried that it wasnèt pollinated correctly.

I'm scared I didn't pollinate it and

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAKSE

Re: How to know if female has been pollinated [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #188980 - 01/24/09 12:34 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Well it is possible you didn't pollinate your female early enough in the budding cycle, so it may not fully develop it's seeds.  By any means, rubbing pollen directly on buds will FOR SURE pollinate them.  By the way, I hope you didn't go too crazy with the pollinating...Even a little dusting on a few buds can produce LOTS of seeds.  Seeds can ruin a smokeable crop.  If you pollinated early enough, you should notice the calyxes on the buds swelling greatly, until they split open, usually revealing a drak brown seed; possibly with black stripes (signs of a good seed).

My advice would be to get a pair of tweezers and pick off a calyx or two, open them to see how far along your seed progression is.

Just curious...why did you go for seeds instead of cloning your female?

Offlinesh4d0ws
Re: How to know if female has been pollinated [Re: AKSE]
    #189003 - 01/24/09 01:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the information, helps A LOT. I have noticed the calyxs on some buds swelling quite a bit. Anywho, as to the information why I couldn't just  clone my mother plant.. I'm having a baby soon and I need to harvest this plant and stop growing for a few months until I can make use of the outdoor growing season..

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#189259 - 01/25/09 09:59 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like a good plan.  if you have seen the calyxes swell up, then i'm willing to bet you've got seeds growing.  AKSE's suggestion is a good one, pick one off and cut it open to see the immature seed.  you probably have several dozen, sacrificing one won't hurt.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to know if female has been pollinated [Re: Yrat]
    #189949 - 01/27/09 10:27 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yah, your calyxes will start to swell abnormally large.  It's pretty noticable.  IMO one of the biggest signs your plant has been pollinated is when the pistils wither and brown way earlier then they should.  So, if you still have white pistils covering your plant but the areas that you rubbed pollen on are browning and withering, that's a pretty good indicator you have seeds on the way.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinesh4d0ws
Re: How to know if female has been pollinated [Re: coda]
    #189977 - 01/27/09 11:55 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks guys. I picked one of the calyx's and I found a nicely sized seed inside but it was still white(edit: they're kind green too) , I'd say the plant needs another week or two...

I'm so excited to try this weed, the plant looks and smells AMAZING.

Edited by sh4d0ws (01/30/09 11:10 AM)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #189985 - 01/27/09 12:30 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Great to see someone making their own seeds. :yesnod:

You mention it may need another week or two; how long has it been in flowering?

--------------------

OfflineOregonMeds
    #190058 - 01/27/09 04:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

AKSE said:
Well it is possible you didn't pollinate your female early enough in the budding cycle, so it may not fully develop it's seeds.  By any means, rubbing pollen directly on buds will FOR SURE pollinate them.  By the way, I hope you didn't go too crazy with the pollinating...Even a little dusting on a few buds can produce LOTS of seeds.  Seeds can ruin a smokeable crop.  If you pollinated early enough, you should notice the calyxes on the buds swelling greatly, until they split open, usually revealing a drak brown seed; possibly with black stripes (signs of a good seed).

My advice would be to get a pair of tweezers and pick off a calyx or two, open them to see how far along your seed progression is.

Just curious...why did you go for seeds instead of cloning your female?

Thats when you just make hash :yesnod:

Offlinesh4d0ws
Re: How to know if female has been pollinated [Re: Sirius]
    #190739 - 01/30/09 11:11 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
Great to see someone making their own seeds. :yesnod:

You mention it may need another week or two; how long has it been in flowering?

It was in vegetative growth for 30 days
It has been flowering for about 4.5 - 5 weeks now, I'm actually surprised that the seeds are almost done, is it normal for seeds to finish in 5-7 weeks?

Edited by sh4d0ws (01/30/09 11:12 AM)

OfflineAKSE

#190864 - 01/30/09 06:00 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Once the calyx splits a bit and you can see the seed peeking out, it is ready/done.  As in nature, once the seed is mature the calyx splits and the seed eventually falls out into the soil, awaiting the next season.  It's hard to say for-sure when this will occur.

Offlinesh4d0ws
    #191034 - 01/31/09 04:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

There is pictures of the plant in the "marijuana pictures" section in  thread called " why is my plant so small"

I'm a  little bit worried, don't want to chop my plant too soon because I won't be able to go back but majority of the swollen calyx's have split open about a millimetre or two and are revealing a white looking seed, although the seed is hardly visible

is it time? or do I need to wait longer until the seeds are brown?

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

#191062 - 01/31/09 05:07 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

the seeds will darken when they mature.  you don't want to chop it if they're all still white.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlinesh4d0ws
Re: How to know if female has been pollinated [Re: Yrat]
    #191132 - 01/31/09 10:20 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I plucked another calyx with tweezers and squeezed the seed that came out..it was whitish green and popped in between my  fingers

any estimates on how much longer it should take ? i think about 2 weeks at most is probably right

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag