Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSiekostoner
Male

truman show
    #183982 - 01/18/09 12:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

it's a great movie, i'm just sitting here, watching it, kinda drunk, taking resin hits..... it's weird how it just kinda relates to life so much ya know? just realizing the way you've fallen into the order of everything, just going along with everyone else...........................

id unnnnnoo i'm just getting wasteder by teh second....

i hope these resin hits get me where i wanna be
:vaped:

hows all u insomniacs doing tonight???

Edited by Siekostoner (01/18/09 12:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Loc: the sun
Re: truman show [Re: Siekostoner]
    #183990 - 01/18/09 12:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

haven't seen it in years, but great nonetheless  :cheers:

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
Re: truman show [Re: mel_lonta_tauda]
    #184013 - 01/18/09 01:44 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

great movie

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

Offlineamoignum6
Esquire
 User Gallery

Loc: A beach that dosnt quiver...
Re: truman show [Re: still beLIEve]
    #184022 - 01/18/09 01:52 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Its kind of fun to look around and wonder sometimes.

--------------------
"For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith or a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us. "
- Charles Bukowski

Offlinerobothax

Re: truman show [Re: amoignum6]
    #184207 - 01/18/09 02:01 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

gr8 movie
its like a proto-matrix

InvisibleThreeLittleBirds
A Guy
Male

Re: truman show [Re: amoignum6]
    #184305 - 01/18/09 05:51 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

amoignum6 said:
Its kind of fun to look around and wonder sometimes.

Truman Syndrome??

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/30/MN9A14BC6R.DTL

Quote:

One man showed up at a federal building, asking for release from the reality show he was sure was being made of his life.

Another was convinced his every move was secretly being filmed for a TV contest. A third believed everything - the news, his psychiatrists, the drugs they prescribed - was part of a phony, stage-set world with him as the involuntary star, like the 1998 movie, "The Truman Show."

Researchers have begun documenting what they dub the "Truman syndrome," a delusion afflicting people who are convinced that their lives are secretly playing out on a reality TV show. Scientists say the disorder underscores the influence pop culture can have on mental conditions.

"The question is really: Is this just a new twist on an old paranoid or grandiose delusion ... or is there sort of a perfect storm of the culture we're in, in which fame holds such high value?" said Dr. Joel Gold, a psychiatrist affiliated with New York's Bellevue Hospital.

Within a two-year period, Gold said he encountered five patients with delusions related to reality TV. Several of them specifically mentioned "The Truman Show."

Gold and his brother, a psychologist, started presenting their observations at medical schools in 2006. After word spread beyond medical circles this summer, they learned of about 50 more people with similar symptoms. The brothers are now working on a scholarly paper.

Meanwhile, researchers in London described a Truman syndrome patient in the British Journal of Psychiatry in August. The 26-year-old postman "had a sense the world was slightly unreal, as if he was the eponymous hero in the film," the researchers wrote.

The Oscar-nominated movie stars Jim Carrey as Truman Burbank. He leads a merrily uneventful life until he realizes his friends and family are actors, his seaside town is a TV soundstage and every moment of his life has been broadcast.

His struggle to sort out reality and illusion is heartwarming, but researchers say it's often horrifying for Truman syndrome patients.

A few take pride in their imagined celebrity, but many are deeply upset at what feels like an Orwellian invasion of privacy. The man profiled in the British journal was diagnosed with schizophrenia and is unable to work. One of Gold's patients planned to commit suicide if he couldn't leave his supposed reality show.

Delusions can be a symptom of various psychiatric illnesses, as well as neurological conditions such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases. Some drugs also can make people delusional.

It's not unusual for psychiatrists to see delusional patients who believe their relatives have been replaced by impostors or who think figures in their lives are taking on multiple disguises.

But Truman delusions are more sweeping, involving not just some associates but society at large, Gold said.

Delusions tend to be classified by broad categories, such as the belief that one is being persecuted, but research has shown culture and technology can also affect them. Several recent studies have chronicled delusions entwined with the Internet such as a patient in Austria who believed she had become a walking webcam.

Reality television may help such patients convince themselves their experiences are plausible, according to the Austrian woman's psychiatrists, writing in the journal Psychopathology in 2004.

Ian Gold, a philosophy and psychology professor at McGill University in Montreal who has researched the matter with his brother, suggests reality TV and the Web, with their ability to make strangers into intimates, may compound psychological pressure on people who have underlying problems dealing with others.

That's not to say reality shows make healthy people delusional, "but, at the very least, it seems possible to me that people who would become ill are becoming ill quicker or in a different way," Ian Gold said.

Other researchers aren't convinced, but still find the Truman syndrome an interesting example of the connection between culture and mental health.

Vaughan Bell, a psychologist who has researched Internet-related delusions, said one of his own former patients believed he was in the virtual-reality universe portrayed in the 1999 blockbuster "The Matrix."

"I don't think that popular culture causes delusions," said Bell, who is affiliated with King's College London and the Universidad de Antioquia in Medellin, Colombia. "But I do think that it is only possible to fully understand delusions and psychosis in light of our wider culture."

--------------------

"Rise up this mornin,
Smiled with the risin sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true........"

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#184310 - 01/18/09 05:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I last saw this movie after binging on Salvia for a while. That is a combo that will fuck with your head.

Offlineb0b gnarley
 User Gallery

Re: truman show [Re: TripityDooDaDay]
    #184311 - 01/18/09 05:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

you binged on fucking salvia?

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: truman show [Re: b0b gnarley]
    #184333 - 01/18/09 06:20 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah. A lot. lol Too much. You can really start losing touch with what is real and what is not after a while. Took a good little while to get sorta grounded again. I think I'll always have some doubts I had never even considered before.

Invisiblewowitch420
whippits n ribs
 User Gallery

Loc: 512 TX
    #184336 - 01/18/09 06:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

what a retarded choice

--------------------

heady nugz

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
    #184339 - 01/18/09 06:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

lol i reg. #190

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

Re: truman show [Re: wowitch420]
    #184342 - 01/18/09 06:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

wowitch420 said:
what a retarded choice

Absolutely no regrets. Was quite the journey.

Binging on opiates would have been unfortunate I think.

Good timing Mel. :lol:

OfflineSiekostoner
Male

#184359 - 01/18/09 07:32 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TripityDooDaDay said:
Quote:

wowitch420 said:
what a retarded choice

Absolutely no regrets. Was quite the journey.

Binging on opiates would have been unfortunate I think.

Good timing Mel. :lol:

i know what you're sayin brah, i too binged on salvia a year or two back..... it really does start to fuck with your head.... but in a good way

totally worth it for the ride

InvisibleCognitive_Shift

#184362 - 01/18/09 07:39 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Trueman show, solipsism FTW!

--------------------
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Re: truman show [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #184424 - 01/18/09 09:53 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i smoked salvia wrong the first time i tried it.  i took the liberty of rolling it into a huge joint and smoked it on my roof.    ...and almost fell off trying to crawl back into my window  :rofl2: 
i got suicidal for about 10 minutes there

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#184430 - 01/18/09 10:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

That was about as wrong as you could do it all the way around. :crazy2: :lol:

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
    #184433 - 01/18/09 10:07 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

lol yeah, i gave it another try the "right" way once or twice afterwards, and still didn't like it.  not for me :tongue:

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#184441 - 01/18/09 10:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The first time I broke through was way too fucking hard. I hated it and swore I was never touching that stuff again. Curiosity and fascination got the better of me though the very next night. I had a lot of really horrible trips early on but learned to go to happy and content fantasy lands that were more real than any other substance has delivered for me including DMT. I realize I am an exception to the rule there but it's fine by me. :grin:

It's not for everyone for sure. I've been staying off of it for a while but when I was doing it I still slipped up once in a while and found my self in Salvia hell instead of the Beautiful place that I wanted.

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
    #184443 - 01/18/09 10:37 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

hahah it's always that fascination/curiosity that makes you interested again.  i was always worried about vaping dmt since it hits just as quick, but i hear it's not the same as salvia.  :shrug:

as long as you're not posting youtube vids of yourself smoking it :apestheclown:

InvisibleTripityDooDaDay
Male User Gallery

#184445 - 01/18/09 10:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Never. :rofl2: Damn I hate I lost that hard drive with videos of Shroomery member's youtube videos.

I became the Johnny Appleseed of Salvia in my area. lol Hundreds of people learned of Salvia because of me in one way or another. The lucky ones were the ones who sat with me quietly and alone as I walked through it all with them. I really don't know what came of the huge amount that I sold and gave away.

Some of my friends are idiots and it rubs off on me. lol We had some pretty crazy parties were we went through massive amounts of salvia in more of a beer type party atmosphere. That was pretty reckless but fun. A lot of crazy good times that I'll never forget.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale