Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecircularvortex

Ok, I need some input and encouragement or discouragement, where appropriate...
    #143875 - 11/12/08 12:30 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

So I've really been wanting to grow lately.  I've never grown pot before, did a few batches of mush, though.

I've got a closet that goes off of my bathroom back by the water heater and furnace.  It's usually warmer than the rest of the house in there, but no more than like 75 degrees F this time of year.  I'm thinking this would be a real nice place to throw in a couple of plants.

I'm not looking for anything real large scale, I'd just like to grow a plant or two of some decent looking nuggets.

From what I've read fluorescent bulbs draw the least amount of power and generate the least amount of heat.  A fixture with 2-4 40-60 watt bulbs seems sufficient for 1 or two plants.  I'd line the closet with aluminum foil to keep in light, giving an overlay for the door.  I could ventilate it occasionally by opening the door to the bathroom and running the fan in there.  When it came time to flower I could put the lights on rotation so that at night, when I turn my heater way down the lights would be on and keep the temperature up in that room closer to what it is during the day with it off.  I'd keep a padlock on the door, or maybe put in a locking handle to keep nosy folks using the bathroom out of there.

I live in a duplex.  My neighbors have kids, but they must know I smoke a lot of weed and occasionally do other drugs, and they don't seem to care at all.  Plus, they have more people living in the house than is on their lease, and I've lied to the landlord to cover for them before and they know about it, so I think I'm all square with them.

What do you guys think?  Decent sounding idea?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Ok, I need some input and encouragement or discouragement, where appropriate... [Re: circularvortex]
    #143920 - 11/12/08 06:08 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

a couple things i'll throw out there quickly before heading off to work.

1)  don't use foil to line the cloest, use mylar or some panda film.

2)  you can't just ventilate occasionally.  you would need to set up a constant intake or outtake of air.

3)  the light rotation sounds like a good plan, make sure to get a timer to do the work for you.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ok, I need some input and encouragement or discouragement, where appropriate... [Re: Yrat]
    #143923 - 11/12/08 07:57 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

1)  don't use foil to line the closet, use mylar or some panda film.(black & white poly or visqueen)

2)  you can't just ventilate occasionally.  you would need to set up a constant intake or outtake of air.

Agreed

For the record, fluorescents do not have the best lumen's per watt (heat output vs light output). HPS and MH are much better in this regard.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlinecircularvortex

Re: Ok, I need some input and encouragement or discouragement, where appropriate... [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #143927 - 11/12/08 08:19 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

lumens per watt is light output vs. power strain, non?

The door has a vent panel on it (like a metal grate) would that be enough or do I need to stimulate air circulation?

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ok, I need some input and encouragement or discouragement, where appropriate... [Re: circularvortex]
    #143928 - 11/12/08 08:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

lumen's per watt is light output vs. power strain, non?

Yes, but any power that is not made into light is turned into heat. Thats why I had heat vs. light in parenthesis.

A metal grate will not be enough air flow. You will need to set up an active ventilation system.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Ok, I need some input and encouragement or discouragement, where appropriate... [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #143938 - 11/12/08 10:17 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

a computer fan intake in front of that vent (inside) would probably do the job

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ok, I need some input and encouragement or discouragement, where appropriate... [Re: Yrat]
    #143942 - 11/12/08 10:54 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

All great ideas. I have used all types of lights and was not happy until I used MH and finish with HPS. It is the best in the end.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlinecircularvortex

Re: Ok, I need some input and encouragement or discouragement, where appropriate... [Re: Stoneth]
    #144278 - 11/13/08 12:55 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

From what I've been reading it seems like the general consensus is that HPS is better to start with, but it seems like it's more expensive, too.

I'm po

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
    #144284 - 11/13/08 01:07 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

if you consider HID (hps and mh) are 2x as effective as CFL's and a 400w HPS can be had for $200(cheaper if your not a douchebag, I'm just using $200 as an example - you could find a 1kw for this price-lets use 1kw as the example...)

so 1kw HID = 200$
  2kw CFL = approxx 715$ assuming each 42w bulb will cost 15$ to set up

in reality the cfls will cost more to start up, cost more to run, and your end product will be inferior and cost more per gram to produce.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ok, I need some input and encouragement or discouragement, where appropriate... [Re: captain.koons]
    #144332 - 11/13/08 09:40 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

but for someone who's poor an initial setup into light doesn't just include lights.  He has to buy ducting, adapters, fans, bulbs, then he has to pay for the cost of running the light which can add another 40 bucks per month on the electric bill.

I'm definitely in the camp of invest more now to save more later.  But sometimes you really can't afford it.  And if it really comes down to eating for the week or having enough cash to cover your electricity bill, sometimes the pot has to take the back seat.

When you get the cash I strongly suggest going the HID route.  If you're just looking to fuck around for the time being and grow a little bit of bud for fun, CFL's can help you achieve that.  Just don't expect spectacular results and you'll be ok.

Quote:

3)  the light rotation sounds like a good plan, make sure to get a timer to do the work for you.

I'd like to add that you should get a DIGITAL timer, don't skimp on this piece of equipment as it can really fuck you in the ass.  20 bucks for a solid digital timer is worth not having your whole crop ruined.  Analog timers BLOW, i've learned this first hand, spend the 10 or so extra bucks and buy a solid, digital, timer.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds