Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Moonshine?
    #108583 - 08/13/08 08:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Made some moonshine.

Any interest in a write up, and a real tek? Or is moonshine passé?

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:
be sure to slap a sticker on there and take a pic, cuz otherwise it didn't happen!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblunt master
up in smoke
Male

Loc: NY
Re: Moonshine? [Re: Dr_T]
    #108584 - 08/13/08 08:35 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

yeah i think itd be cool for a writeup and a moonshine tek
was it easy to make

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Moonshine? [Re: blunt master]
    #108586 - 08/13/08 08:45 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, easy. The yeast does the work.

It'll be a few days before I can post the first half, and then 10-14 days after that for the final shots.

Thanks for the input!

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:
be sure to slap a sticker on there and take a pic, cuz otherwise it didn't happen!

Offlineblunt master
up in smoke
Male

Loc: NY
    #108587 - 08/13/08 08:46 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

no problem
ill be looking forward to reading it:thumbup:

Invisiblebeatyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: 512/atx
Re: Moonshine? [Re: blunt master]
    #108606 - 08/13/08 11:29 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey moonshine is great shit man. I have some neighbors from west virginia that brought back some moonshine from the mountains. they have some peach shit and some other fruity shine that was really tasty.

did you make just straight white lightnin?

--------------------
this is me on a bar, 3 methrolls (up 4 days), ketamine, and some good acid two years ago.

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Moonshine? [Re: beatyou]
    #108609 - 08/13/08 11:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yep, plain and simple recipe, corn meal and sugar.
But there's a million ways to do it. If I had a peach tree, I'd be all over that!

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:

Offlinerodfarva

Loc: Sobe
    #108622 - 08/13/08 12:21 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey,
i would enjoy that write up. YEEHAw

--------------------

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Moonshine? [Re: rodfarva]
    #108629 - 08/13/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have to go to work later, and then the next two days. So a real tek with pics has to wait, but...

For each quart jar:
Boil 2 cups water, add 1 cup sugar, stir.
Add 1 cup corn meal, stir, turn off.
Pour into jar, allow to cool.

This will fill up to where the shoulder starts. Add a teaspoon of yeast- I used Bread Machine yeast. Stir, and add sugar water to bring the level up to the top of the shoulder.

Fermentation takes place in anaerobic conditions- you want to allow the excess CO2 to leak out, but avoid introducing fresh air. So, turn the lids upside down, and/or leave the ring a little loose. Cover with foil.

Allow to ferment at room temp or warmer until the bubbles stop- about 10 days or so. It'll smell beery or boozy. When the alcohol percentage gets to about 5%, it kills off the yeast. (Brewer's yeast can survive higher alc, but costs more).

Distill.

First distillate could be aged in oak barrels, if you have them. 3 to 7 years from now, you'd have some fine whiskey.

But I re-distilled using a fractionating column, to get white lighting. Filter over activated carbon before drinking. The carbon absorbs volatile organics that cannot be removed by distillation.

Liquid can be added back to jars. Add fresh yeast, it'll go to work on the remaining corn and sugar. You can repeat until it's all used up.

Most places, it's illegal to drink alcohol that you've made yourself, because you haven't paid taxes on it. A few places, and more to come, have outlawed using home made fuel for vehicles on public roads, for the same reason. So be careful.

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:

OfflineAKSE

#108648 - 08/13/08 01:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have made a couple batches of Apfelwein (Apple Wine) and it turned out well, a bit watery.  Insstead of distilling, I put my wine into the freezer and froze off most of the pure alcohol/flavoring and poured it into a new bottle, which left me with useless water remaining in the original bottle.  I would guess my finished frozen-off wine to be 15% alc. atleast, it was pretty nice!

Also, I used champagne yeast, and honestly don't think it is worth your time and money to use Bread Yeast.  Bread Yeast has an incredibly low tolerance to alcohol, and you'de be very lucky to achieve 5% Alc. at the very most with a Bread Yeast, not to mention the flavor will be drastically compromised.

Order some champagne or wine yeast from the internet, or some Ale yeast would be great also, you will be much much happier with the finished results!!!:eek:

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Moonshine? [Re: AKSE]
    #108803 - 08/13/08 07:32 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Great- somebody signed up for the sole purpose of telling me I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm happy to learn anything from anyone, but brewer's yeast seemed expensive. Even if it produces twice the alcohol, it still costs way more than it gives. And it's not like I have a shortage of quart jars around here...

I'm sipping the very first batch- it's aged a full 24 hours, and let me tell you, that quality shows! I only got an ounce and a half, one good shot- but it should be enough to kick my ass, I'm a lightweight with liquor.

Would there be a taste difference using brown sugar? Or since I'm re-distilling it, does that pretty much use up the flavor?

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:

OfflineAKSE

#108926 - 08/14/08 12:42 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, no reason to be a dick like that.  I have been planning on signing up for the Growery for some time now, since I have been a member of the Shroomery for a long time.

Only reason I decided to post on your topic was because I have some experience with brewing home made alcohol.  And also no, I didn't say you don't know what your doing, I was simply giving you some good advice.:rolleyes:  You can take it or leave it, I'm no newb, Dr_T.

Also, not sure if your willing to take my 'advice' anymore, but using brown sugar instead of white sugar will result in a slightly more molasses taste, as when the yeast eats all of the sugar, molasses is left over from brown sugar; as where white sugar leaves no after-product.

You think brewers yeast is expensive?!?!  I got my champagne yeast for less than 2 dollars a package, and 1 package is enough to make 4 gallons of Apple Wine.  Also I promise you that using a wine yeast will result in a much less 'yeasty' flavor of wine, or moonshine; however if you decide to distill it afterwards, I'm not sure if it' will make a flavor difference, merely a alcohol content difference.

Edited by AKSE (08/14/08 12:46 AM)

Invisiblewowitch420
whippits n ribs
 User Gallery

Loc: 512 TX
    #109028 - 08/14/08 10:15 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Great- somebody signed up for the sole purpose of telling me I don't know what I'm doing

:glittershitz:

--------------------

heady nugz

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
    #109158 - 08/14/08 03:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

AKSE said:
I have made a couple batches of Apfelwein (Apple Wine) and it turned out well, a bit watery.  Insstead of distilling, I put my wine into the freezer and froze off most of the pure alcohol/flavoring and poured it into a new bottle, which left me with useless water remaining in the original bottle.  I would guess my finished frozen-off wine to be 15% alc. atleast, it was pretty nice!

Also, I used champagne yeast, and honestly don't think it is worth your time and money to use Bread Yeast.  Bread Yeast has an incredibly low tolerance to alcohol, and you'de be very lucky to achieve 5% Alc. at the very most with a Bread Yeast, not to mention the flavor will be drastically compromised.

Order some champagne or wine yeast from the internet, or some Ale yeast would be great also, you will be much much happier with the finished results!!!:eek:

If you're just making a mash it doesn't mattter that much if you distill many times over and run your booze through carbon your going to get a very smooth and generic taste.

ex. triple distilled vodkas or even more usually all taste the same and don't taste at all like the grains or potatoes they're made from.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

#110068 - 08/16/08 02:25 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

AKSE said:
Wow, no reason to be a dick like that.

Sorry dude, wasn't trying to be a dick, it just came out that way. Here's the tek so far:
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/109960/an/0/page/0

Once I get consistent results and yield with this method, I'll switch yeasts while keeping everything else the same. Then we'll see whether it's worthwhile or not.

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
    #110072 - 08/16/08 02:51 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

im going to play around with yeast, sugar, water, plant food

I personally use turbo yeast because I like distillin 5+ gals at a time, so it pays off for me.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Moonshine? [Re: captain.koons]
    #110079 - 08/16/08 03:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Plant food isn't a starch, you'll need something starchy to go along with the plant food...

Turbo yeast? They should use that stuff in pizza dough. So many hours I wasted waiting for dough to proof... sigh..

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
    #110092 - 08/16/08 04:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The turbo yeast I use is made specifically for brewing mash.

I have no idea how the startches and plant food work to fuel the yeast, I saw a mod on shroomery saying he uses plant food in his mash mix.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: Moonshine? [Re: captain.koons]
    #110093 - 08/16/08 04:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well, plant food certainly isn't going to hurt you.

It'd be fun to do a side-by-side run. Maybe after I do the yeast experiments.

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder