Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejellyfish

Early finish and harvesting question
    #10176 - 04/23/08 06:02 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

My friends plant has been under 12/12 for 6 weeks and some of the hairs have started going brown. This seems a little early to me. They were grown in plain garden soil with no additional nutrients of any kind, but the buds are still delicious looking and trichromy (I guess that's not a word). The seed was found in some random bud so maybe it just finishes early genetically (I thought plants usually start growing brown between like week 7-8). Just one more question since I probably could've researched that on my own (I wanted a relevant growery post :smile:), what's the best time of day to harvest. I remember reading like either when the lights go off or right before they turn on is the best time. Something to do with how the light affects the cannabanoids and turns them into something less appealing in the night/day. Does anyone know? The plant looks to have a mere 1/4 ounce but, like any first grow, it's going to need to be harvested and cured properly so it can be enjoyed properly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineelaspeinreason
his serene highness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington DC
Re: Early finish and harvesting question [Re: jellyfish]
    #10186 - 04/23/08 06:51 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

jellyfish said:
... but the buds are still delicious looking and trichromy (I guess that's not a word)..

The proper way to say it would be: The buds are still delicious looking as well as an acceptable amount of Tichomes. [ there is , to my knowledge , no word currently used to describe the frequency of trichomes on a plant]

Quote:

....The seed was found in some random bud

im guessing its genetics...bagseed is as random as it gets.
got any pictures ?

--------------------
हम सब एक है ~ We Are All One
The ultimate source of happiness, successful life, is within ourselves. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. - Buddha

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Early finish and harvesting question [Re: elaspeinreason]
    #10222 - 04/23/08 08:42 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

if it is an 8 week strain 6 weeks is pretty normal to see pistil color change.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineerb
 User Gallery

Re: Early finish and harvesting question [Re: coda]
    #10279 - 04/23/08 10:00 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

The theory is to harvest in the morning because the light and heat can convert some of the thc into cbn and less preferred compounds.

There is a word for glandular trichome laden buds. Sugary

The plant should be ready when about 50% of the hairs show signs of wither.
You can get a 100x magnifier at radio shack and see the thrichomes themselves.The glandular thrichomes will turn from clear to cloudy then finally amber, you'll want to harvest when you see amber trichomes.
Some sativa strains will change right from clear to amber and these plants are usually very potent.
have fun..

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Early finish and harvesting question [Re: erb]
    #10347 - 04/23/08 11:40 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

from clear to cloudy then finally amber, you'll want to harvest when you see amber trichomes.

Subjective honestly. You should harvest your plants when they're showing you signs of the high you want. More clear trichs = clearer head high, mixed clear/amber/cloudy = balanced head/body high w/ some couchlock maybe, amber trichs = heavy couchlock, sedative, high.

--------------------

Offlineecto
prop215 / sb420 patient

Loc: california, usa
    #10431 - 04/23/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

post above me has the best response.
check your trichs under a jewelers loupe

OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: Early finish and harvesting question [Re: ecto]
    #10448 - 04/23/08 01:01 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

if you have good eyesight, and your plant is frosty enough, you can actually see the color change to amber taking place. not really possible to see the change from clear to cloudy however. but yes, get a loupe!

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

Offlineerb
 User Gallery

#10578 - 04/23/08 02:07 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

from clear to cloudy then finally amber, you'll want to harvest when you see amber trichomes.

Subjective honestly. You should harvest your plants when they're showing you signs of the high you want. More clear trichs = clearer head high, mixed clear/amber/cloudy = balanced head/body high w/ some couchlock maybe, amber trichs = heavy couchlock, sedative, high.

I actually prefer to harvest a little early for that very reason, its gives you more of an up buzz when you dont let a large portion of the glands convert from thc to cbn and related compounds.
On the other hand i wouldn't call a amber sativa couch lock bud. Each strain will have its own tendencies that play a role outside the timing of the harvest.
Indicas tend to have a heavy body buzz while satives are more of a up social buzz, hybrids will show mixed traits of each distinct phenotype.
I harvest at the first signs of amber thrichomes for maximum THC.You want to make sure as much of the cbd has converted to THC before you harvest, the only way you know thc production has stopped is when the glands start to turn amber.But dont wait any longer as bulk of thc will start to convert to cbn from that moment on.
Very few strains will actually go from clear to amber, so most people may not ever even see this indoors.

Offlinejellyfish

#10755 - 04/23/08 05:11 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Alright thanks, I'll get him to check out the colour of the trichomes themselves (I thought you went by hair colour for some reason). So harvest will be in about a couple weeks?

Offlineerb
 User Gallery

#10804 - 04/23/08 05:57 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I think about average is 56 days.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #11016 - 04/23/08 08:49 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

(I thought you went by hair colour for some reason)

it is one method to help determine harvest time. Trichromes provide a more accurate measure as to when to harvest.

--------------------

Offlinejellyfish

#14071 - 04/27/08 08:21 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Well the hairs went from white to yellow and the buds seem to have stopped growing so I guess any day now he'll cut it down. He's going to hang it upside down in a dark closet for a week but doesn't know if he should trim it first or after. He's thinking of trying to make hash oil, should the leaves be fresh for a butane extract or not. Like should he let the leaves dry on the plant and clip them after or what. After that he'll go to jars for curing, but since it's his first grow and looks like an 1/8th ounce :frown: he wants to get the most out of the trim.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #14223 - 04/27/08 02:21 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

trim while wet to minimize trichchome loss. Dry trim, freeze trim, then do a BHO extraction. The more brittle the trichs the easier it is to extract them.

If the leaves are not too sugary don't expect much from a BHO extraction.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck