Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedstark

90W LED UFO lightning!
    #640399 - 10/14/12 01:12 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

There is only one year old threat about this, so i wonder if someone used this lamp for a few grows from then... Its kinda getting big now!
This lamp is compared with 400-600W HPS lamps and is very compact in size.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 90W LED UFO lightning! [Re: dstark]
    #640400 - 10/14/12 01:14 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dstark said:
There is only one year old threat about this, so i wonder if someone used this lamp for a few grows from then... Its kinda getting big now!

:lolsy:

But seriously, psychotron will pipe in on this one for ya.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisiblebrainsOplenty
ganja farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: zion
    #640401 - 10/14/12 01:15 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dstark said:

don't believe everything they claim about those lights.
at least i don't.
my money is on HPS for the time being

--------------------
it's written right here.
it's absolutely clear.
the ganja herb is the healing of the nation.

Offlinedstark

Re: 90W LED UFO lightning! [Re: brainsOplenty]
    #640402 - 10/14/12 01:21 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Just checking if someone gave it a try:rolleyes:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #640412 - 10/14/12 01:38 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

That's why I told  ya to wait for Pyschotron to respond.  He's way into LED.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinedstark

Re: 90W LED UFO lightning! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #640417 - 10/14/12 02:20 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

:popcorn:  :popcorn:

Offlineowngrown
cultivator of herb
Male User Gallery

#640418 - 10/14/12 02:25 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i was reading this article in the oct 2012 high times its labeled why led's no longer suck hmmmm.... we shall see :starwars:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 90W LED UFO lightning! [Re: owngrown]
    #640419 - 10/14/12 02:28 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I hear they're getting better.  But I'm not gonna jump ship on my HID' quite yet.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineowngrown
cultivator of herb
Male User Gallery

#640421 - 10/14/12 02:34 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

agreed but i cant wait for the crazy shit they're rolling out in 2013. have you heard about the earth n grow system that runs ac currents into your hydro setup to mimic the natural life of the earth

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #640423 - 10/14/12 02:37 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Nope, haven't heard anything about it.  Sounds like hippy mumbo jumbo though.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlineowngrown
cultivator of herb
Male User Gallery

#640426 - 10/14/12 02:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

lol check it lol http://earthandgrow.com/

InvisiblebrainsOplenty
ganja farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: zion
    #640428 - 10/14/12 03:16 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

owngrown said:
lol check it lol http://earthandgrow.com/

seems hokey as fuck if you ask me.
but that's just:2cents:

--------------------
it's written right here.
it's absolutely clear.
the ganja herb is the healing of the nation.

Offlineowngrown
cultivator of herb
Male User Gallery

Re: 90W LED UFO lightning! [Re: brainsOplenty]
    #640429 - 10/14/12 03:17 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i think its an interesting.....concept but wouldn pay for headphone jack splitter lol

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #640442 - 10/14/12 06:19 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dstark said:

How many bands are we talking?

I've matched my 400w grows with a 120 bridgelux 4 band a rew times.
But other units I've seen come in far lower.

To this day tho I prefer 600 watt HPS over all other.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: 90W LED UFO lightning! [Re: Stoneth]
    #640451 - 10/14/12 06:45 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I've been thinkin about getting some led for a while. Just one of those cheap UFO ones. I can't run my lights in the summer because even with both fans it gets up to like 110 in my closet. I figure led would run way cooler. Even if its less efficient, less efficient is preferable to just not growing for 6 months.

And I could use it supplementally in the winter. Extra light can't hurt.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #640458 - 10/14/12 07:15 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Yea, I'm here :laugh:. One 90w UFO will in no way shape or form replace a 400w HPS. Two of them might if they are high quality, but it is still pushing it for area coverage. What it will do is allow you to get those denser types of buds but in a smaller area, provided the fixture is of decent quality.

The first thing you need to know about LED grow lights is that the market is flooded with cheap fixtures and most of the marketing is bullshit and lies. With that said, you should not just buy an LED fixture thinking it will be good, regardless of what they say. Take some time to read up on why you should choose a specific LED from a given manufacturer. There are a lot of variables with LED's, such as brand diodes used, wattage each diodes uses, color bands and ratios, beam angle, secondary optics, density, heat management, etc. just to name a few. Its tough getting all these down for that perfect fixture. Let alone the individual diodes themselves are not as efficient for plant growth as we would like, so they must add more diodes and from different manufacturers to make up for that. There are many corners to cut in order to drive a profit, and for that many consumers have had poor luck with many of the fixtures out there.

The market is such that Quality fixtures are only coming from a few companies, mainly online, with most being made in China, possibly at the same factories. They are the over-seers of quality and design from these factories. They have taken the time to actually test many different configurations and choose the best for high demand plants. They also back their warranty in a timely manner.

There are also Chinese resellers, who just drop ship a light from China with very little input as to the design process and quality of components-- those are the people who tell you that your 90w will replace your 600w HPS (the only requirement is that they can build a website.) You can also custom order these directly from the Chinese for a discount but you are really rolling the dice with your money. I've yet to hear a really good review on these lights that cost about 1/3rd the price of the fixtures from a Quality vendor.  They lie about the wattage and generally pull about half of what is advertised. There is also no way of knowing if they are selling you good components or not. Also, any warranty issues need the light shipped back to China, and it appears that the three year warranty is one full year, and two pro-rated. which can be very costly.

I only know of one USA made company and that is Lumigrow. They appear to make good lights, I'm still waiting to see what the new pro models can do. They are pricey, but they have a five year warranty and a good reputation so far.

Your hydro store does not stock a decent fixture, I already know that. Don't even consider buying an LED from them. They are importing crap Chinese lights trying to bring a more economical cost:quality fixture. I also theorize that they would like to keep selling you bulbs, its more economical for them to have a continuous flow of small profits rather than the occasional, uncertain lump sum.

I've tried the Blackstar "240w" HO (really 130w) from Gotham hydro (via ebay--mostly all junk there) and they are just alright for flowering. They do much better with T5's next to them. They lie about wattage, no heat sink and only a 1 yr warranty and slow warranty replacement. I prefer the lights from Advanced LED. Their Diamond Series is much more powerful and produce large dense buds with no problem. It needs 18-30" between the light or they will start to bleach the tips. Good penetration from true 3w diodes and secondary optics. That is also related to size of the fixture, as the larger fixtures have a higher light density. Its recommended that you use multiple fixtures instead of one single fixture so as to spread the light out as much as possible--creating a light canopy with even coverage.

If you just want to get an LED I would recommend Advanced LED for their fixture quality, customer service with ease and speed of warranty issues as well as dedication to continuous improvement. They offer a 90 day no questions asked full refund if you decide you don't like the light. They are the only company I know that will do that. They are pricey, but they are comparable to most decent quality fixtures that are out there.

How big of an area do you want to flower with? I would only use a UFO style fixture for one plant or small SOG.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinedstark

Re: 90W LED UFO lightning! [Re: phychotron]
    #640486 - 10/14/12 11:20 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

First of all thanks for the info, very educating!
From what i understood LED lights for the time being(until the get realy good) will do good with another light source, which sounds OK:)
Well i thought of a one plant experiment, maybe add the one cfl bulb.

Offlinesidetwist
Guano Reefs
 User Gallery

#640513 - 10/15/12 11:37 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

owngrown said:
agreed but i cant wait for the crazy shit they're rolling out in 2013. have you heard about the earth n grow system that runs ac currents into your hydro setup to mimic the natural life of the earth

Sounds like primordial soup haha

--------------------
Live slow, die old.

OfflineThe Widow Kaya
Reverend
Female
Re: 90W LED UFO lightning! [Re: sidetwist]
    #640591 - 10/15/12 05:46 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Okay everyone,
Here is what I can tell you about LED Lighting from first hand exp.

1. Wattage!! The amount of watts per bulb is an extremely important factor in a good light versus a SUCK light!!! I don't care how many watts your total fixture has ... if it's made up of 1 watt bulbs ~ IT SUCKS!!! You get no light penetration from an LED fixture of 1 watt bulbs. 2 watt bulbs are good, but 3 watt bulbs are said to be best for ultimate light penetration.

2. Spectrum! Those who advertise LED Lighting for growing our beloved plants claim that the LED Lighting System has a very targeted spectrum which wastes no power, creates no energy signature, etc. etc. etc.
  My personal experience shows them to be quite lacking in actinic blue as well as the intense ultra red provided by HPS.  Also I found my girls to be much more prone to infestation whilst using only LED Lighting. Crazy gnat outbreaks & spider mites galor!!!! AND constant fighting with nutrient balance, pH, nitrogen burn & issues I have never encountered in 30 years of growing. Example, leaf appearance became palored. Each leaf section was green-tinged-yellow with dark green outlines. I thought "Over watering" ... nope. It was light deficiency!!!!

***NEVER USE NEEM OIL if you use LED Lighting. It will burn the crap out of your plants & I am ultra conservative with applying any type of chemical to my babies. The test run of 1/20th the suggested dose almost wiped out my entire crop from chem burn.

I have 6 ~ 120watt LED fixtures (2watt bulbs); plus 3 ~ 90 watt UFO LED fixtures (3watt bulbs) & after 6 months I could no longer take the absence of HPS lighting. Following the addition of HPS ~ my problems are vanishing one by one. 

I would suggest using at least half of your total LED wattage in HPS. I have added 4 ~ 150 watt HPS fixtures to my 990 watts(actual) of LED Lighting.

...On the other hand ... my roses love em!!!  :bigkiss:

I hope this helps answer some of the questions for this topic.

Edited by The Widow Kaya (10/15/12 06:50 PM)

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 90W LED UFO lightning! [Re: The Widow Kaya]
    #640631 - 10/15/12 09:55 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The Widow Kaya said:
Okay everyone,
Here is what I can tell you about LED Lighting from first hand exp.

1. Wattage!! The amount of watts per bulb is an extremely important factor in a good light versus a SUCK light!!! I don't care how many watts your total fixture has ... if it's made up of 1 watt bulbs ~ IT SUCKS!!! You get no light penetration from an LED fixture of 1 watt bulbs. 2 watt bulbs are good, but 3 watt bulbs are said to be best for ultimate light penetration.

2. Spectrum! Those who advertise LED Lighting for growing our beloved plants claim that the LED Lighting System has a very targeted spectrum which wastes no power, creates no energy signature, etc. etc. etc.
  My personal experience shows them to be quite lacking in actinic blue as well as the intense ultra red provided by HPS.  Also I found my girls to be much more prone to infestation whilst using only LED Lighting. Crazy gnat outbreaks & spider mites galor!!!! AND constant fighting with nutrient balance, pH, nitrogen burn & issues I have never encountered in 30 years of growing. Example, leaf appearance became palored. Each leaf section was green-tinged-yellow with dark green outlines. I thought "Over watering" ... nope. It was light deficiency!!!!

***NEVER USE NEEM OIL if you use LED Lighting. It will burn the crap out of your plants & I am ultra conservative with applying any type of chemical to my babies. The test run of 1/20th the suggested dose almost wiped out my entire crop from chem burn.

I have 6 ~ 120watt LED fixtures (2watt bulbs); plus 3 ~ 90 watt UFO LED fixtures (3watt bulbs) & after 6 months I could no longer take the absence of HPS lighting. Following the addition of HPS ~ my problems are vanishing one by one. 

I would suggest using at least half of your total LED wattage in HPS. I have added 4 ~ 150 watt HPS fixtures to my 990 watts(actual) of LED Lighting.

...On the other hand ... my roses love em!!!  :bigkiss:

I hope this helps answer some of the questions for this topic.

Sounds like you don't have very good fixtures. HPS people always seem to have problems switching to LED, variables change and you need to adjust your garden to compensate. Doing that scares most people, as it takes awhile to get your gardening down.

Wattage is deceptive. The naming conventions have confused people many times over and tricked them into buying their light.

Years ago they used 1w and 3w designations to indicate the amperage used by one specific brand/model of LED. The '3w' chip really only pulls like 1.8w or something of that nature. Since the birth of the grow light there has been a resurrection of that naming convention for advertising reasons. Also is they like to tell you your using 3w chips when there are really three one-watt lights on one diode, the 3w-3 they call them, but they might just say 3w to get the sale. There are few older true 3w fixtures, and they are still almost exclusive to the quality fixtures. But that doesn't just automatically make it a good fixture like the advertisements like to imply. The individual diodes also have varying degree's of brightness/quality within their own; top or bottom bin, they can still call it the Brand diode.

Spectrum is one of the major concerns, first few models out were just two band red/blue. then they started adding orange and white, and then they realized that even the blues and reds have more than one narrow band of light that the LED's give off, and added multiple blues and reds, even into the infrared and ultraviolet to some degree. Green is a newer addition, but the white LED's are becoming more powerful to handle those 'filler' spectrum. The number of bands is important as well as the ratio in which those diodes are used.

There are many more things to consider when designing an LED. Its the large range of variables and options that have made finding a quality made LED more difficult, with only a select few decent companies out there. The market is evolving and those cheap Chinese lights will mimic more features of the quality fixtures as time goes on. For now though you still need to order through a company that is overseeing quality and handling the warranty.  If you buy a sub-par LED then your essentially throwing all your money away and will be throughly disappointed with the results.

As for neem oil, I use neem oil based products and have not had any problems with them. The 'fungicide3' I use is 70% neem oil. Do you remember to spray at lights out? Maybe the next day spray with plain water if you have any buildup on the leaves.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder