Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety)
    #549003 - 04/21/11 12:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm looking to treat my anxiety, I over-analyze and obsess over things night and day, which in turn, makes the constant disappointment in my life MUCH harder to deal with. I honestly doubt I'll be able to function properly unless I'm medicated half the time..

I've been thinking about getting prescribed Xanax or Valium for a long time now.. Yes, I know it's not the easiest thing to get prescribed, but if it was worth it, I'd go around to as many doctors as I need to until I got it. The side effects seem pretty damn major though.. So I figured I should look into the alternatives, and maybe get some opinions first.

I'm thinking I need something more suited for frequent use than Xanax or Valium.. I've heard about Poppy tea but I haven't had a chance to try it, and it seems to be pretty damn expensive.. So yeah, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to add, antidepressants just aren't an option, for various reasons.

Edited by Cage (04/21/11 12:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemaggotz

Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: Cage]
    #549018 - 04/21/11 02:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

well if you couldn't get a prescription you could get them online, it would probably be easier haha.

i like xanax though i don't have anxiety or anything. i just like to have some and smoke a bit and do nothing. :stoner:

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

Loc: Neither here nor there
    #549019 - 04/21/11 02:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

fuck benzo's bro, they are good for severe anxiety, as needed only, but I can hook u up with some pods after my poppys are done if you need some... they're hella potent too, Ive been making salads from the leaves after thinning them out

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: Big_tiggy]
    #549029 - 04/21/11 03:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Big_tiggy said:
fuck benzo's bro, they are good for severe anxiety, as needed only, but I can hook u up with some pods after my poppys are done if you need some... they're hella potent too, Ive been making salads from the leaves after thinning them out

I've heard about people growing them themselves, maybe that's what I should do.. Does it cost much to get started? How hard are they to maintain? Any legality issues?

OfflineBig_tiggy
Male

Loc: Neither here nor there
    #549031 - 04/21/11 03:30 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

They are very easy to grow and blend perfectly in a garden with other flowers, the only issue is addiction, which is why honestly its best to work out your anxiety in an other way, but poppy pod tea will deff help, you can still sow some seeds, bouncingbearsbotanicals has a good deal, I'm growin persian whites, but it sounds like you just worry 2 much, I know its hard to think about, because it comes to the point where it aint u, its your brain, but as a warning you'll start to rely heavily on that shit if you're using it for anxiety

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: Big_tiggy]
    #549040 - 04/21/11 03:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Try some Kava tea, possibly??

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: Tank333]
    #549041 - 04/21/11 04:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
Try some Kava tea, possibly??

Hmmm, would I have to order it from the internet or might I be able to find it in stores?

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
    #549044 - 04/21/11 04:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well two things: in my a (strictly amateur) opinion it sounds like you're describing a minor case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder rather than an anxiety disorder (you don't actually have to have compulsive symptoms to fall under the broader category of OCD).

Two, while I do happen to self medicate for anxiety and OCD I don't lightly recommend it to others. it has taken me several years to get used 'leveling myself out'. There are obviously a number of ways to go. My brother likes to just go the direct route: coffee brings me up, beer and scotch bring me down. I like to take small doses (an order of magnitude less than a psychedelic dose) of mushrooms in tea as necessary. This does not take care of all of your obsessive tendencies (though some people find it remarkably helpful - I don't have time to go link diving at the moment but if you look at some of the mushroom studies the MAPS has supported/linked on their site you can find a study into OCD amelioration). Any sort of 'cure' for a psychological disorder requires self reflection and hard work in addition to 'chemistry correction' but it can certainly put you well on your way.

Edit:

Okay, I lied, I did have time to link dive :wink:

Some generic stuff on OCD, focusing on severe cases but relevant to others: http://www.ocd-free.org/typesofocd

MAPS' site is kind of a mess but here's a page about that research: http://www.maps.org/news/1099news.html

And another page which actually links to the PDF of the paper: http://www.maps.org/sys/w3pb.pl?mode=search&c_pkey=22868&displayformat=allinfo&type=citation

Edited by NizzyJones (04/21/11 04:27 PM)

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #549048 - 04/21/11 04:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I find it at fred meyers... the brand "yogi" is the brand I get... you can also find kava on bouncing bear botanicals. I buy the 33% kavacataclones and and use 190 proof everclear to extract it... it comes out as a very strong oral analgesic and doubles as a stress reliever...

--------------------
My best run so far

Offlinemushhead91
Truth Seeker

Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: Tank333]
    #549051 - 04/21/11 04:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I was put on Paxil (SSRI antidepressant) and Klonopin and haven't looked back. I'm just curious, what are the "various reasons" why you can't take an antidepressant? There is alot of bullshit that is propagated against (and for) antidepressants.

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: mushhead91]
    #549062 - 04/21/11 06:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I definitely have a few OCD habits, but it's the anxiety that's the worst.. I can never stop thinking.. My mind races uncontrollably 24/7, I don't know how other people can just NOT think about things.. It's not stuff like how things are arranged that I stress about, but I obsess over every single facet of my existence pretty much at all times.. I think about everything.. The way my life is, the choices I've made, the way the world is, and the choices others have made.. The way things could be, or could have been.. I analyze every single detail of just about everything..

Come to think of it, I'm probably definitely OCD, can't be sure whether it's my OCD or my insecurity mixed with my anxiety, but most anything I try to create, I get stuck trying so hard to make it perfect, that I either quit or can't even bring myself to start..
Quote:

mushhead91 said:
I was put on Paxil (SSRI antidepressant) and Klonopin and haven't looked back. I'm just curious, what are the "various reasons" why you can't take an antidepressant? There is alot of bullshit that is propagated against (and for) antidepressants.

I could never bring myself to trust something that could potentially alter my mind that much.. I won't take anything that I can't just wake up and be off of the next day..

InvisibleSolar Nexus
Male User Gallery

#549105 - 04/21/11 08:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Kava Kava is good, as is catnip in a tea...

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: Cage] * 1
    #549163 - 04/21/11 11:43 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Cage said:
I won't take anything that I can't just wake up and be off of the next day..

I suffer from anxiety myself, very acute anxiety, I'm also slightly OCD and have ADHD. I cant be 100% sure with just the little information you have given. But you might have ADHD too, do you have a hard time going to sleep because you cant stop thinking about everything?

If you want something you can be off the next day, Go with the natural stuff. Any Benzos (klonopin, Valium, xanax,) once taken for a month or even a few weeks is going to be very hard to stop taking without EXTREME anxiety. Also, poppy pod tea is a horrible idea, if you don't like what anti-depressants do to your thought process, you will not want to touch any opiates, especially all of them at once by taking poppy pod tea.

Opiates will change your brain chemistry and you wont even notice. Especially if your taking it to curb anxiety. Sure it will work, until that day comes when you don't have some pods, and you have such bad anxiety your blood pressure is though the roof, and your heart beat can be felt in your eyes.  Both these things will cause addiction, I have battled a heroin addiction for the past 6 years, I took Klonopin to deal with the anxiety of when i didn't have heroin.  then I got clean from heroin, but kicking the klonopin was harder than the heroin. you have to taper off it extremely slowly,  and even then once you stop all together. You will still have to learn how to manage your anxiety without drugs.

Experiment with breathing techniques, 4-7-8 remember those 3 numbers! Breath in though the nose for 4 seconds. hold that breath for 7 seconds, then exhale out the mouth for 8 seconds. all the while counting in your head. it helps to close your eyes too. I do this at bed time or anytime I have anxiety during the day, its not a pill, its not a drug, but if you put effort into doing it and concentrate on your counting. it can help you immensely! Especially with not being able to fall asleep due to over analyzing everything from your day/week/life.

I speak strictly from experience, I'm sure plenty of people will say I'm wrong and you should just go get yourself a nice scrip to xanax pop a pill or 4 a day and your fine! As long as you take those pills the rest of your life. In addiction you will build tolerance and end up taking more and more, making it your own personal hell to try and stop. Maybe your OK with that, I don't think you want something you NEED every single day, and not having that pill for even one day would result in you sitting in the shower in the fetal position vomiting.

Read up on some herbal remedy's like others have spoken of, but please don't just go straight to the pills or god forbid the devil drug opiates. you will love that poppy pod tea until its too late and your addicted. That line is so blurred that you will never even know when you have crossed it.

No flaming me please! I'm just giving advice from my experience. :thanx:

Edited by Lucid (04/22/11 08:30 AM)

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: Lucid]
    #549169 - 04/21/11 11:55 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with lucid on this one

any opiates / benzos are only going to make things worse in the long run

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
    #549179 - 04/22/11 01:25 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The breathing technique Lucid mentioned works, although it's different from person to person. I can vouch for it from experience.

I personally don't think you need any sort of chemical alteration of your being.

In all respect, may I ask if you have pets? Do you have anything in the world that you love dearly? Do you have any trusted confidants that you share these ideas/feelings with? If not, do you feel you need to resort to Big Pharm slavery because you are fearful or ashamed of sharing this with close friends? You feel like the your brain circuitry is wack because it doesn't fit within the social context of how you envision yourself?

This isn't the first post you shared about your anxiety. Clearly it's holding your attention for certain reasons. Can you believe that someone, who basically doesn't exist to you except through an internet forum, actually cares? If you seriously want to change something, please let me know what that is- what is the root that instigates these feelings? What is it about the world that causes you stress?  :hi:

In my opinion, you can either take a pill, drink a tea, medicate, etc- thereby internalizing and and ETERNALIZING the problem. Or you can problem-solve: use critical thinking to define the problem, and if you don't see a clear solution then COMMUNICATE the defined problem to someone who is willing to help solve it. Solve it- Not cover the symptoms with chemical elixirs.

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: budnectar]
    #549207 - 04/22/11 04:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I never thought that I might have ADHD.. But I have trouble sleeping because I can't stop thinking just about every night, from what I hear about ADD/ADHD, it would of shown up when I was a kid, I only started having problems around 15-16. That's why I've always dismissed ADD/ADHD from ever being a possibility, but yeah, you were definitely right about the trouble sleeping at night thing, most nights I'm up well to 4-5AM because I stay awake until I'm tired enough to be able to fall asleep without laying awake for too long, and if I know I have to wake up for something in the morning, I end up laying awake for at least an hour or two, because I know I need to sleep, but I know it's not gonna be that easy..

I'll take your guys' word for it and steer clear of the opiates, I'll try out some of the herbal remedies next time I go to the store or the pharmacy, all though I'm a bit doubtful, I'll give it a shot.

Quote:

budnectar said:
In my opinion, you can either take a pill, drink a tea, medicate, etc- thereby internalizing and and ETERNALIZING the problem. Or you can problem-solve: use critical thinking to define the problem, and if you don't see a clear solution then COMMUNICATE the defined problem to someone who is willing to help solve it. Solve it- Not cover the symptoms with chemical elixirs.

The problem is, most of the things that stress me aren't that easy to fix.. A lot of them are in my past, and I can't change them at all, a lot of it is anxiety about the future, but I can't help that either, and the rest are on too big a scale to be able to ask someone for help and just take care of it.

I could ramble on for hours with all the problems I have with the world, but it won't really get me anywhere, I'll continue to see all the problems every single day in just about everyone I know. I wish more people understood just how fucked up everything is, so maybe they could help try to change things, but most people just don't understand, or just refuse to :shrug:. It really bothers me, to see how just about every single person around me is blind to all the problems that drive me mad.. There's not really much I can do about it, it's not like I can just talk to someone, and get them to help me to try to fix the entire fucking world. All I can really try to do about it is, not let it get to me so much.

And about the whole, asking people who only exist to me through an internet forum thing.. Yeah, I'm asking for help from people who I don't really know on an internet forum, but that's still less bizarre to me than paying someone in real life to try to do the same thing.. At least I know that, the people that DO try to help me, aren't doing it for a paycheck, you know?

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #549212 - 04/22/11 04:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You aren't the only one man, that's all I can tell you. If there was an easy fix everyone would be happy all the time.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: DungenessDank]
    #549214 - 04/22/11 05:04 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If you think you have anxiety now wait until you come off those fuckers. The only reason I haven't quit is because I have no desire to withdrawal from that shit again it was horrible.....Much worse than when I came off of opiates from a car wreck.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
Re: What options do I have? (Looking for something to treat Anxiety) [Re: DungenessDank]
    #549250 - 04/22/11 10:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

That was a point I was getting at, the problems we have in the world are too big to deal- that being a very good reason not to stress about it. Yes, some people are oblivious and some add the problem and there is only so much an individual can do. There's even less we can do on a forum about growing weed, haha. I was just trying to help you get that shit off your chest. I'd be willing to listen because I seen that sometimes that's what we really need the most. For all the fucked up things in the world, there is still real beauty. Don't stop thinking, but instead focus on all the positive aspects of everything. That's kinda what all those questions were targeted towards. Stress is the #1 killer and can lead to cancer.

It's naive to think you're the only one who wants to see change in the world. Remember to change only what's in your control and fuck the rest. You constantly are giving off either positive or negative vibes- stay conscious of that.
Quote:

DungenessDank said:
You aren't the only one man, that's all I can tell you. If there was an easy fix everyone would be happy all the time.

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
    #549371 - 04/22/11 02:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Cage said:
I definitely have a few OCD habits, but it's the anxiety that's the worst.. I can never stop thinking.. My mind races uncontrollably 24/7, I don't know how other people can just NOT think about things.. It's not stuff like how things are arranged that I stress about, but I obsess over every single facet of my existence pretty much at all times.. I think about everything.. The way my life is, the choices I've made, the way the world is, and the choices others have made.. The way things could be, or could have been.. I analyze every single detail of just about everything..

Again - that's not a typical anxiety disorder, it's obsession (you don't have to have ANY compulsive component to fall under the broad category of OCD) and OCD is itself a sub-type of anxiety disorder (in some classifications). In a clinical sense "anxiety" means 'an unpleasant emotional state for which the cause is either not readily identified or perceived to be uncontrollable'. The more general Anxiety/Social Anxiety/Agoraphobia diagnosis is intended to describe brief attacks of debilitating anxiety, not the general background noise of obsessive thoughts.

And it doesn't really matter, it's all just words. Finding what helps you is the important thing. like Lucid said meditation and breathing exercises can be very helpful. also sometimes just taking a piece of paper and writing down your obsessive thought process is helpful in that you can more easily identify the weak assertions and things you can't do anything about: pretend you're explaining your problem to a friend and try to find a solution (any time you find yourself saying 'yeah, but I can't...' is a good point to pay particular attention).

Edited by NizzyJones (04/22/11 03:05 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies