Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Cab plans: Micro SOG
    #304600 - 10/27/09 08:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Okay... so, I've already made a little paint of my initial idea so I'm going to go ahead and use it...

Now... I'm starting to have second thoughts/reworking some ideas...

First, I'm thinking I might need 3 chambers... Mother/veg, clone, and flower...

Any chance I can get away with a single room for Mom, clone, Veg?

Also, any ideas on the easiest way to lightproof my little flower cab?
How do you guys lightproof through fans? I know that baffles are the concept, but it seems like people get away with not using them somehow?  I feel like I'm missing something here...

Any other ideas or challenges are welcome... THanks guys

Here's a link to my Grow Log too btw.

Edited by DudeTron (10/28/09 08:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Cab plans: Micro SOG [Re: DudeTron]
    #304617 - 10/27/09 10:06 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You might want to just do your clones elsewhere, they like high humidity.  Also, with such a small operation there is no need to put the plants in a veg phase after you clone them, you could just flower them immediately.  Your drawing is not to scale- both your flower and veg room are 1 foot 10 inches?  Your veg room should prob be a little bit bigger.  Are you using CFLs?  I dont really know about light proofing and fans- maybe just put the thing in a dark place?

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: Cab plans: Micro SOG [Re: SmOakland]
    #304630 - 10/27/09 11:38 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

lol I noticed that after looking at it a bit.... lower half meant to read 18 or 20 inches or something...

So, that's the plan with the clones anyway... but for sexing, mothers, etc I guess I don't really want to be skimping on the 6500k space

Think I should just go bigger in general?  I'm figuring 2 feet tall would be enough for flowering... hoping rather...

Would wider be useful at all? This space is custom built for the back corner of a closet with roof-slope..

For lightproofing without ventilation, I think a little caulk and weather stripping will do just fine...

I've already been toying with the idea of having to build another box...
Maybe 12 or 14" clone room to top off a 2'6" to 2'8" flower room? Separate box for larger veg? Kinda a waste of bulbs though.

Oh yeah, it is a CFL grow.

Thanks for the help guys

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
    #304716 - 10/27/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I decided to just frame it up, and worry about sizing the chambers later.
I should have made the inside flush, rather then left the framing in there... Mylar or some such might be more of a pain in the ass now... oh well.

This thing is fucking huge too... I mean, on paper is one thing, but in the living room it looks bigger than my coffee table. We'll see how well it fits in to its custom little home...

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #304757 - 10/27/09 03:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Flat white paint is almost as effective as mylar, cheaper, and more durable.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Cab plans: Micro SOG [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #304778 - 10/27/09 04:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Sweet.  Ima follow this.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: Cab plans: Micro SOG [Re: SmOakland]
    #305326 - 10/28/09 08:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So, I've read a little ventilation 101, and I've got a couple ideas..

I don't think Temp is going to be a huge issue for me, as winter is approaching, and the cab is in a part of the house which doesn't really get any heat anyway... I'll probably be putting a space heater in there even..

Odor is going to be a huge issue for me... I think
I have zero experience with what kind of smell a bud project can produce.  Can anyone tell me if it really is something to consider? I know it can be different from strain to strain, but just how powerful is the most wicked shit, and how little a smell can there possibly be?

Plan A... "enclosed" Lighting and heat vent system, seperate scrubber:

The scrubber would be a 6" x 14" vent with carbon coated filter, fan directly behind it.

Plan B... The one shot deal.  I'm more leaning towards this approach the more I just noticed I said heat wont be an issue  :wow:

Here, I think with the right fan, I can get away with almost any of the scrubber setups guys have come up with...

How about the right fan... I really don't want to spend a ton of dough.  I'm thinking either cheap computer fan or a cheap home depot inline booster... How about noise on either of these?

I know my space is only like 8 cubic feet (2x2x2 right?) so I'm thinking (hoping) that just about anything is going to work... I have heard bad things about the computer fans being able to handle any static pressure from scrubbers or what have you, but it may do the trick...

Also, I think I'm okay with lightproofing, as those intake vents are situated against a wall about 2" away, and maybe just a little hood or something might be the ticket.

The veg room I'm really not worried about... just about anything to produce a little fresh air

Fits like a glove btw... Custom FTW

Thoughts?

Edited by DudeTron (10/28/09 08:34 AM)

OfflineTomCollins

#305661 - 10/28/09 06:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Plan B would be much better at circulating air and keeping your plants at a nice temperature. Keep in mind, one of the purposes of ventilation, is not simply to cool the plants but to replenish co2 as well as to exercise them by making them sway a bit.

The only issue I see with your system is, where's the ventilation for your veg system?

Light proofing ventilation can be done using long air ducts. Grills and filter screens help too. In fact, since you're charcoal filtering, that takes care of light proofing the exhaust.

This is an extremely small setup I have to say.

I designed my system to be small, and closet size. Here's a picture of it.

As you can see, my idea didn't quite work out.

I rekon if your going with fluorescents and your soil growing you could make it work. I'm not so sure your yields will be what you want them to be though.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (10/28/09 06:21 PM)

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: Cab plans: Micro SOG [Re: TomCollins]
    #305743 - 10/28/09 07:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The veg I haven't been too worried about, because I don't think I need to scrub them, heat wont be as much of an issue, and neither is lightproofing.  Basically just in, out. Replace some Co2, get a little breeze going.

I've seen some really impressive shit both with really small grows, and CFLs... Some guys even use PC cases, THAT'S a small grow... I mean, it's never going to yield like an HID, but check out what This Guy did with a couple CFLs and a freakin rubbermaid tub.  Also, how could we forget about Dr.Bud

My goal is to harvest a 5-15 gram plant every week or so.  Who knows man, I'm also looking into possibly getting a 70-150w HPS.

Yeah, I forgot the scrubber would cover the lightproofing on that end, so that's cool

OfflineTomCollins

#306012 - 10/29/09 05:07 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

CFLs seem to give you a lot of flexibility in regards to space conservation and heat management - some of those setups are very impressive, I must say I really overestimated the space you need. I always thought those computer case setups were a bit of a scam really. 

HPSs crank up heat though lemme tell you...

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cab plans: Micro SOG [Re: TomCollins]
    #306069 - 10/29/09 07:21 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

A computer fan will be 100% ineffective if you try to use it with a scrubber. If smell is going to be an issue, you will need either a squirrel cage blower or an inline centrifugal fan. You can get cheap squirrel cage blowers from all sorts of electronic salvage places or HVAC stores. Don't skimp on your ventilation, it is much more of a pain in the ass to have to little than to have to much.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
    #306086 - 10/29/09 08:52 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks Dr. that's just what I needed to hear...
So, could you drop a name on what you mean by salvage places or HVAC stores?  I can only imagine something like goodwill, but I'm sure you mean different...

Do those inline Home Depot fans work worth a crap?  Would they still be better off found used?
Are there some decent DIY methods for making any of the above run fairly quiet?
Actually, my half adzed plan was to just run a fan or humidifier or something in the adjacent room, kinda 'mask' it... HAH

Thanks again for all the ideas and help guys.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #306278 - 10/29/09 03:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

As for dropping names, most of the places im talking about are run by weird old guys, not at all chains, so you're on your own there... Try a search for electronics salvage in google and see what comes up in your area. Just call around and ask if they stock squirrel cage blowers.

As for the home depot inline fans, they are booster fans not inline centrifugal fans, they will work just as effectively as a computer fan, that is to say, not at all (when attached to a scrubber). If you are looking for a fan that will just get the job done and is quiet, try to find a soler & palau mixed-vent fan. You would most likely have to order them online but I hear great things.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
    #306354 - 10/29/09 05:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So, there's really no such thing as cheap ventilation then?  Short of finding a good deal on a used one or something?

Are the squirrel cage fans noisy?

I saw a guy who had a small box (R2D2) that used an 80mm computer fan to exhaust and scrub, and still ended up with a 10-15 CFM pressure load on the other end of his scrubber...  Wouldn't 10 CFM work for my 23 space?

I have heard good things about the S&P fans though...

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #306890 - 10/30/09 12:14 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Depends on your definition of noisy... The fans themselves are relatively quiet but the air they move tends to make some noise. If you mount the fan correctly and you buy/build a duct muffler you won't have much that a radio played softly or a small room fan wouldn't drown out.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineDANK
VERB CONJUGATeR+HERB INHALATOR
Male User Gallery

#309186 - 11/03/09 03:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This cab is exactly what i have in mind for my winter project =) I want to see it finished!!!

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: Cab plans: Micro SOG [Re: DANK]
    #309273 - 11/03/09 06:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm still workin on it.... Got laid off the other day so it's a matter of slowly getting the materials in order on a hell of a budget...

I still need a little more wood
Stanley blower/ ducting fittings etc.
DIY carbon scrubber
lighting (either a handful of 42w CFLs and/or 70-250w hps on the cheap)

I think with just the above I'd at least be well on my way, and the rest will be little 'here and there' type shit... But basically I have nothing lol.. and my plants are vegging right along.

I haven't gone anywhere though, and I WILL make this happen, it's just a matter of time.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
    #320927 - 11/24/09 08:01 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

So, I thought I had some kind of update because I'm pretty sure where I'm going to go with this now... But my above post is pretty much the extent of it... lol

I did get a new job though, and I'll be making more money than I ever have... plus the whole crew are hella stoners... Sometimes ya just never know...

So, I'm definitely going with a stanley blower.... 50 bucks at home depot, and even if they're a little noisy, my location can tolerate it...
Plus I really want the adequate static pressure rating through the scrubber I plan on building.

I've pretty much decided on sectioning off enough inches of the side of a wall to house the blower, scrubber, and ducting.

Now that my plants are getting a little bigger, I'm thinking this may just be a flower box... I mean, my plants are currently in a slightly unsecure location, but otherwise doing just fine where they are... Plus I could build a separate veg box now that I feel a little more comfortable with what to expect... I would build it totally differently if I started over already, so I can at least focus on one at a time with what I've got.

I also probably wont be going SOG anymore, but hope to have a handful of decent healthy plants... I may not even take clones this time around.

I'll also be going with a 150-400w HPS, cause in my medical state, I can get a 250w as low as 40 bucks or a 400 complete setup for $100 on craigslist any day of the week...

Sorry so long, good grows dudes.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
    #351211 - 01/21/10 10:51 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Decided to go ahead and put some closure real quick on this old ass thread cause why not.

I went ahead and made the box flower only

I did get my 250w HPS for $40 and added a wire to make it remote ballasted

I mounted the socket to a piece of metal I found at home depot which just happened to work perfectly for it.

I made a DIY carbon scrubber with hardware cloth and ducting materials.
Hardware cloth wrapped around 4" end cap with other end inside a 5" to 4" reducer.
Then covered it with a panty hose and stuffed polyfill into the reducer.
Next I wrapped another section of mesh around a 5" cap and around the 5" side of the reducer, filled it with 1/2" of carbon, and wrapped two pantyhose around the outside...

Scrubber is directly attached to a 171 CFM 4" centrifugal value inline via a 90 degree fitting exiting the cab out the top.  The remaining exhaust is running through ducting hose towards an open window (ghetto)

Intake is a single 6" X 13" floorboard register located at the bottom-center-back of the cab.  There is no light issue here because it faces a wall as well as being in a dark closet... I still would like to paint it black

Temps reach 83F (79F in the shade) during the 'day' and get down to about 68 at 'night.'  These temps are extremely circumstantial and much could be done in the way of my ventilation.  Mainly I need my exhaust to more efficiently exit the entire closet.

My door could also use some work... lol I had this idea in my head of how my door should work and never really even tried to copy other systems.  I wish I'd been actually looking at more doors to things before I made mine...  It's really a shame I'm supposedly some kind of carpenter.. lol 
Use beefy hardware on your shit and you'll only have to do it once!

I also still need a small fan for the interior.

Hope this helps those who UTFSE in the future...

Good luck and great grows to you guys.
~DT

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale