Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Help me out with this grow room design.
    #281948 - 09/17/09 04:23 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

that's right, I suck so bad at MS paint that I decided to hand draw these. Woot.

so I'm thinking about dividing a 3'x5' area into a veg room and a flower room.

as you can see, I'm going to draw the air through the veg room floor, into the flower room, then out of the flower room through a carbon filter, through the flowering light--->fan, and then pushed through the veg light and out the top. I'm thinking about having just one 6" vortex fan rated at around 250-300cfm to power the whole box.

Questions;
1. I was thinking that it would be nice to have the air come from the veg room to keep the heat up during the winter, but do you think that will cause excessive heat issues when the flowering light is turned on?
2. How to get air from veg room into flowering room without light leaks. I've got some ideas, but I'd like to hear what everyone else has too
3. 250W MH for veg and a 600W HPS for flowering sound sufficient to you guys?
4. Fan good enough power? or more necessary for all the friction I'm going to have from moving air so far from start to finish?
5. any other observations everyone has about the whole design.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Help me out with this grow room design. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #281951 - 09/17/09 04:34 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

1. Yes I do. You can always control how much cool air is let in using a fan controller and would accomplish the same thing.

2. Like I said I wouldn't do it, but again I have never done it.

3. I think you'll be happy with the 600 w in that room no need to 1000 I run a similar setup in about the same size room or used to until I moved and it worked fine. I actually had some problems with heat pockets but that was mainly my bad when I fucked up the ventilation.

4. That fan should be more than enough I would think. A room that size only needs half but as you said since you are moving your air a reasonable distance and supplying 2 rooms you will have more resistance thus needing a bigger fan. So it sounds good to me. =]

5. Personally I would separate the 2 rooms completely and use fans/controllers to ventilate the 2 rooms. That is just my preference. If you can make that work then you should be fine but obviously controlling the air for both rooms would be easier.

Doubt that answered any questions but whatever

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help me out with this grow room design. [Re: mhbound]
    #281987 - 09/17/09 05:43 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

no that's awesome, I just want to bounce ideas around and get some feedback. I do already have a smaller CFM fan I could use for the veg room, but for sound reasons I was trying to avoid using it. Unfortunately I can't really think up a good way to do it with only one fan though, so maybe that's my only option. :shrug:

What about the 250W? you think that'll be sufficient too, or would 400W give me a noticeable increase in veg rate?

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #282072 - 09/17/09 08:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I like everything you have here. I only have one concern. The airflow from veg to flower. I like the idea of using it to heat in the winter what I'm wondering is how much humidity will the air pick up from the veg room before entering the flowering room. Run a test if you can and if it isn't bad I'd build it like you have it.

(Most likely your fine cause the veg room is pretty small but now is the time to cover all bases so your not de-constructing to fix things. :wink:)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help me out with this grow room design. [Re: Magash]
    #282077 - 09/17/09 08:37 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I'm a little concerned also about the O2 and CO2 concentrations after the air has already gone through an area of heavy photosynthesis also, but I'm thinking it'll spend such a short amount of time in there that it may not be a concern.

The humidity shouldn't be too much of a problem, the average RH around here is about 15-20%, and almost never above 40%.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #282081 - 09/17/09 08:46 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The humidity shouldn't be too much of a problem, the average RH around here is about 15-20%, and almost never above 40%.

Ahh...shit your fine then.

The co2 thing don't worry about. The air will be moving threw to often. The co2 thing has been way over rated. The only time it's really needed is when growing in a in-closed grow space that uses air-con to cool it. In fact all of the major seed breeders stopped adding it years ago in exchange for constant airflow. Just had way more benefits.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #282088 - 09/17/09 08:55 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

and you don't think that the heat will be too much with the 600 turned on? I'm hoping that the air-cooled hoods ought to solve that problem, but I've never done a room like this before.....

Also, you think just a 250W is good in that veg room?

thanks for your help, definitely appreciated

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #282093 - 09/17/09 09:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah the heat won't be a prob with the aircooled hood. Hell I only had a 4 inch ffan on a 1000watter and it did fine in a hydro hut. Hell in fact being as lazy as I am I just left the end of one of the reflectors open and used the same fans to cool the lights and the grow space and had no problems. Your well on your way. :wink:

Yeah the 250 should be fine. I use a 600watt conversion bulb for vegging (no such thing as a 600watt MH bulb) in a 4x4 space and it seems weak but does fine. I think the 250 in your space will provide more light then I'm using and it does fine.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #282096 - 09/17/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

man, I just wish I had the space to make this thing bigger.... :lol:

thanks for the help Magash! probably going to hit the hardware store soon

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #282097 - 09/17/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Now that I look at it again the 250 will be just fine. You have a good set up. Now make it and post some pics. :tongue::wink:

--------------------

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #282300 - 09/18/09 03:14 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I question whether that fan will be powerful enough with a carbon scrubber on it to keep your temps in an ideal range. Where will your fresh air be coming from and what kind temperature will it be? Also how much airspace is there below the veg room for fresh air to be drawn from?

I ask these questions as ventilation was one of my major stumbling points in past efforts. Especially in rented housing it seems to be one of the hardest things to get right without structural modifications.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help me out with this grow room design. [Re: Ojom]
    #282349 - 09/18/09 08:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

this is going to be in the garage of a house that I own. the air will be standard garage air, but it will definitely be decently cool air during the winter. I may need to purchase a small heater in january, we'll see :shrug:

I was going to leave about 2 inches below the grow room for air flow.

--------------------

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #282368 - 09/18/09 10:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yea the 250 is more than enough in my opinion. Matter fact I'd probably use something a little smaller to help with heat but obviously as long as you can move the air and keep it cool the 250 would definitely be the better choice.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help me out with this grow room design. [Re: mhbound]
    #282427 - 09/18/09 12:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I may or may not increase the design lengthwise by a foot or two also just to help out with my working space. we'll have to see

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #282558 - 09/18/09 04:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

personally i think you would be better pushing the air through the can filter then pulling.  Produces less drag this way.  But that's just me.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help me out with this grow room design. [Re: coda]
    #282577 - 09/18/09 05:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I agree, I would prefer that too but I can't think of a good way to completely exhaust the "used" air with pushing it through the filter

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #282680 - 09/18/09 09:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yep, its a tough one there because you're venting through your chimney.  I'm guessing the opening in your chimney is too small to accommodate the can filter?

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #282701 - 09/18/09 10:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You've seen my grows in the pics. I just vent into the atic and let the air come out over everybodys head. I've grown tons of skunks and whatever. I've never used a filter in my life. I believe it's all in how you vent the air.

With just a 3x3 flower space I can't see that reaking outside even with real skunks in it. :grin:

Who knows I may be way off on this and am waaaaaaaaay lucky. :happyweed:

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #282704 - 09/18/09 10:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

or you just have the biggest balls of them all mag :wink:  I've never used a filter either.  Smells were really only noticeable when you were in the room with the plants.  But then again i never grew more then 4 or 5 plants at a time.

--------------------

OfflineBlzdLivng
Male User Gallery

Re: Help me out with this grow room design. [Re: coda]
    #282735 - 09/19/09 12:50 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You seem to be going to the extreme with this.  In my honest opinion that much light is VERY EXCESSIVE for that small space.  I would separate the airflow  as suggested by everyone else.  Use the smaller fan you have for the veg room and get something around 150 for your flower room (you could always go bigger).  i use a 400 w hps in a 3wx4dx5h with awesome results.  a 600 w is used to cover a much wider area.  For vegging I would just recommend a nice cfl t5 setup.  And regardless of the non-filter users, I would suggest getting/building one.  After the smell that Ive come in contact with i think it is completely worth it, and i know hose who wish they had it and ran around at the last minute.

If you had  a bigger area I could definitely see the investment of a mh and even a bigger hps, however for your use you might as well save the extra few bucks and put it towards a r/o or a co2 set-up.  That would be my suggestion if you had the funds.

Or even buy a pre-made set-up.  Ive looked into some pretty nice ones...just a lil pricey.  http://www.homegrown-hydroponics.com/ http://www.bcnorthernlights.com/

Edited by BlzdLivng (09/19/09 12:52 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale