Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChapter 4

UV, Flavonoids and THC production?
    #125396 - 09/25/08 12:52 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i am wondering if anyone has studied this.  People claim, and there seems to be some patterns in nature for this written on the web, that more UV rays creates more thc.

flavones and flavonols are used in plants to absorb UV rays and protect them.....is there any relation with flavonoids and thc production?

also, flavs. apparently make UV patterns in flowers that help bees (which are suppose to be able to "see" these patterns, could this also have anything to do with thc production (pollination???)?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeternitys_child
Male

Re: UV, Flavonoids and THC production? [Re: Chapter 4]
    #125848 - 09/27/08 03:47 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know about the bees being able to see the patterns, because if they could, i'd assume guerilla farming would be way less popular since the plants would end up pollinated by the bees!

i don't know for sure though.

i have, however, read that UV lights increase trichome(?) productions..

Now if i can only find a way to introduce UV to my plants without giving my entire apartment complex cancer!

--------------------
saltatory said:

pharmacology is amazing stuff.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: UV, Flavonoids and THC production? [Re: eternitys_child]
    #125853 - 09/27/08 03:56 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

eternitys_child said:
Now if i can only find a way to introduce UV to my plants without giving my entire apartment complex cancer!

Any pet shop should have UV-B bulbs, intended for reptiles, that will work just fine for introducing the UV-B light the plants need to reach their THC production potential, all without any real risk to yourself, much less an entire apartment complex. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineeternitys_child
Male

Re: UV, Flavonoids and THC production? [Re: Sirius]
    #125854 - 09/27/08 04:03 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

HA!

Righteous. I'll look into that :smile:

i just sat at google trying to find any correlation between flavs and thc production, and so far had no luck :frown:

--------------------
saltatory said:

pharmacology is amazing stuff.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: UV, Flavonoids and THC production? [Re: eternitys_child]
    #125855 - 09/27/08 05:57 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not really sure what flavonoids are, but the role UV-B plays in trichome and THC production seems pretty established. Can't wait to start experimenting with it. I'm thinking a side-by-side with clones is in order eventually. :grin:

--------------------

OfflineChapter 4

Re: UV, Flavonoids and THC production? [Re: Sirius]
    #126145 - 09/28/08 02:23 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

yes i realize this...but i have yet to read why.

i cant say for pot plants, i dont know (which is why i am asking)..but in other flowers  flavonoids will form patterns on the flower petal...we probably can never see them because are eyes dont see UV light, and  flavonoids generally show with UV, not visible...usually.  so other creaturs, like bees, which are more able to pick up on these wavelengths can detect it and it is thought by some that this could be a way for the flower to help attract pollinators like bees.

some general reading on the subject (not pot related) talking about flavs. UV and such.  not all of these have to do with bees, and none have to do with THC, but i am curious if these are linked to THC production.

http://www.pnas.org/content/97/4/1903.full
Quote:

.......These results indicate a fine-tuned regulatory network integrating those functionally related pathways of primary and secondary metabolism that are specifically required for protective adaptation to UV irradiation. Although the response of parsley cells to UV light is considerably broader than previously assumed, it contrasts greatly with the extensive metabolic reprogramming observed previously in elicitor-treated or fungus-infected cells.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=vmNKZ4t7mH8C&pg=PA100&lpg=PA100&dq=flavonoids+and+UV+paths+for+bees&source=web&ots=UfvMl7QHf6&sig=oZ0dOEM8kY2sBYRomwWf6f5Dzgo&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result

http://files.rushim.ru/books/mechanizms/the-science-of-flavonoids.pdf

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains