Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelight_seeker
    #88617 - 07/19/08 08:28 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hi!

I'm totally newbie in weed growing. I didn't purchase any seed yet.

First question: flowering.

Weed need direct sunlight to flowering?

Second: vendors/strains.

I understand feminized seeds are mandatory in order to get flowers. I have read several text but, you know, is hard for a newbie compile all the info.

Could somebodt please give me some directions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChronicbs

Re: Newbie [Re: light_seeker]
    #88705 - 07/19/08 10:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I've gotten seeds from seedboutique.com and I would rate them highly.  drchronic.com is also a good supplier from what I've read but I haven't had any personal experience.  From what I've read stay away from Canadian seed vendors as they have been much more likely to send fake seeds, or open breeder packs from people like mr.nice and skim the seeds down to ten when the packs come with more then sell them for the same price... shady stuff like that.  Get them from europe if not from the two I recommended.

Edited by Chronicbs (07/19/08 10:51 PM)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #88984 - 07/20/08 06:05 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Are you planning on growing indoors or outdoors?

The flowering phase of the plant's life cycle begins when they receive twelve hours of darkness each day. Outdoors, as the days get shorter in the fall, the plant realizes that there is less light available, and it begins flowering. Indoors, one simply sets the timer on one's lights to twelve hours of light/twelve hours of darkness to induce flowering.

It is not mandatory to get feminized seeds in order to have female plants. The difference between regular seeds and feminized seeds is that feminized seeds have been produced in such a way that all of the seeds will be female plants. With regular seeds, some will be female and some will be male. Poorly made feminized seeds could very well become hermaphrodites, though, which is when a female plant develops male flowers in addition to female flowers. This is something you won't want. The benefit of good feminized seeds, though, is that you won't have to waste time and space growing plants that will eventually turn out to be male. A good idea might be to get some feminized seeds and some regular seeds and see how both turn out for you.

If you're growing indoors, we can help you from there, and if you're growing outdoors, feel free to post any questions you might have in the Outdoor Cultivation sub-forum. Chronicbs is dead-on with the different seed-banks. Dr. Chronic and Seed Boutique are definitely the highest recommended seed-banks to choose from. Low prices, great selections from many different breeders, and both have great stealth shipping. I've had no personal experience with Canadian seed-banks; however, I've seen a few different Canadian seed-banks where they were either charging twice as much for the same exact strains from the same breeders that you'd find on Dr. Chronic, or where they were clearly selling poor-quality knock off strains at full price. There might be a good Canadian one somewhere, but I certainly haven't seen one.

Also, welcome to the Growery! :super: If you haven't done so already, you should check out some of the articles on the main-site. While it is still being created, there are definitely some information there worth reading. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinelight_seeker
Re: Newbie [Re: Sirius]
    #88993 - 07/20/08 08:31 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the data!

Yes, i have read many articles in the main section of this site, but the amount of info is large and as a newby i get lots of questions and misconceptions.

Another question: is possible to obtain my own seed from my plants, cycling forever?

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #88994 - 07/20/08 08:35 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, its possible to make your own seeds, but in order to do so you'll need both male and female plants, so running only feminized seeds won't allow this. You could pollinate a female with a male from the same strain, or any other strain. You could expect hundreds of seeds from one female, and you could expect a lot of variation between the plants of these seeds, how much depending on how similar the genetics of the two plants are (two plants from a stabilized strain might not produce as much variation, for example).

--------------------

Offlinelight_seeker
    #88996 - 07/20/08 08:48 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks!

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #88997 - 07/20/08 09:04 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Will you be growing indoors or outdoors?

--------------------

Offlinelight_seeker
    #89039 - 07/20/08 11:52 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Good question!

I will grow indoors.

A reasonable approach could be buy mixed seeds, allow grow both sexes and obtain fruits/then seeds; when a good amount of seeds is obtained, next grow select only females.

Could be?

OfflineChronicbs

#89280 - 07/20/08 04:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

light_seeker said:

A reasonable approach could be buy mixed seeds, allow grow both sexes and obtain fruits/then seeds; when a good amount of seeds is obtained, next grow select only females.

You don't have to buy mixed seeds, the result could have too much variation and it could make it difficult to grow if every plant has different needs and traits.  If you want seeds get a stable strain of seeds, allow both sexes to flower, then you will have plenty of good stable high quality seeds.

Have you thought about cloning?  You can cut a branch off a marijuana plant and if you give it the right conditions it will grow roots and become another plant.  You veg a "mother" plant and cut clones to flower as needed.  I think this way is superior because the quality is more consistent, its an exact copy of the plant so there is no variation.  You can take that one in a million female and flower it over and over again.

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie [Re: Chronicbs]
    #89300 - 07/20/08 05:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chronicbs said:
You don't have to buy mixed seeds, the result could have too much variation and it could make it difficult to grow if every plant has different needs and traits.  If you want seeds get a stable strain of seeds, allow both sexes to flower, then you will have plenty of good stable high quality seeds.

I think he means seeds that aren't feminized when he refers to mixed seeds, as in a mix between males and females. :wink:

I've got more to reply with, but it'll have to wait. :hehehe:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds